C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MGW Shifter Opinions (Latest Version Only - With Lower Box!)

Old 03-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Default MGW Shifter Opinions (Latest Version Only - With Lower Box!)

I know, I know, MGW shifters and opinions are all over this site. It's hard to make sense of it all though. Most people are fanatics - either for OR against the MGW shifter. And since so many revisions have come out over the years, with and without the lower box, it's hard to make sense of the reviews and which ones are for which revision.

So...I'd like to start a new thread as I'm considering the latest generation MGW shifter with lower billet box. I'd like to hear from those folks who have the latest version, including the lower box. Give me your honest opinion on it. Don't try to sell it to me. Just give me your feedback. I'd like to hear both pro's and con's. How was it right after you installed it? If it was stiff, did it ever loosen up? Is 5th, 6th and reverse hard to get into? How much notchier is it than stock? How much more (or equal/less) force does it require to shift? Did you ever have problems with it? If so, how long after the install did the problems start? Etc.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Exact1
Burning Brakes

Received 184 Likes on 114 Posts

Subscribed
Old 03-30-2017, 08:54 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

In it to win it, I'm considering it too - lets hear it.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Also interested in this. Been considering an MGW shifter for a while now.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:44 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,041 Likes on 592 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

I put one in my 2009 Z06 about two years ago. It was the newer version with the billet lower box. Just take your time , find a good video, and follow the instructions to the letter. Especially the clamp connection to the shift rod. I was very pleased with mine, the shifts do take more effort but they are very precise. I did have a small amount of buzzing especially noticed it with my hand on the shifter. Overall , I was pleased with the mod.

Last edited by got2hav1; 03-30-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:50 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had mine in for over a year and really like it. I don't think you can get it without the lower box. It only shows 2 models on the website: regular and the flat stick. No cons

Last edited by biker1059; 03-30-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:59 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by biker1059
I've had mine in for over a year and really like it. I don't think you can get it without the lower box. It only shows 2 models on the website: regular and the flat stick. No cons
Right, not anymore. This version wasn't always available though.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:08 PM
NOrrTH
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My Z06 only has 5k on it and the shifter is excellent. I think people who review the MGW should say how many miles are on their stock shifter when then made the switch.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Tombovette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My flat stick goes in this weekend. I'm taking my time on the install. 2006 ,Z51 60000.

Last edited by Tombovette; 03-30-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I had an older version (without the lower box) and it was an improvement over the OEM shifter, IMO. It was a little notchy at first but it seemed to shift easier (or I got used to it) with time. I didn't like the sloppy feel of the OEM shifter.

After a few years I bought the NEWER version of the MGW with the lower box. It was even better than the earlier version. I LOVE IT. Precise shifting. First to second, easy just pull back with a slight pull towards you. Second to third, VERY easy, just push forward with the palm of your hand, slides right into third. Third to fourth, VERY easy, just pull back. Again slides right in, almost automatically. Fourth to fifth takes the most effort (although not that much) in my opinion. You just push forward and away from you. Fifth to sixth, pull down as keeping a slight pressure towards he passenger side.

I recently installed the newest version on a forum members car and it shifts about the same as mine, very nice.

I think you will really like it.

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 03-31-2017 at 12:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BigW1998 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 04:48 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,940 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

What was the Reverse degree of difficulty compared to stock: More, Same, or Less?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:02 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

My history: S2000 owner. Shifter has been compared to bolt action rifles. Its that positive and its that damn good.

I jumped into the corvette C6 right after selling the S and I immediately noticed the slop in the shifter. If you dont know what im talking about: Put the gear into any gear and wiggle the top of the ****. Notice the movement, thats how "loose" or sloppy it is.

With the MGW shifter installed, there is almost ZERO slop. Each shift is a little harder and a bit shorter - but the easiest change to notice is how positive each shift feels. I have NOT felt any other short shifters so i cant compare the MGW to any of the non stock versions.

Would I drop the same $ if i had a stock shifter? Yes.

Now the bad:

1->2 shifts are a little harder to nail properly until the fluid is warmed up because of the lower amount of leverage available.

I purchased a "flat stick" version which means there are almost no aftermarket ***** available for it. Plus, the flat stick doesn't have a seat so some adaptive ***** don't work on it as well.

I purchased a 16mm shifter + adapter to finally get it to fit properly.

I'd recommend picking up the standard MGW in C5 thread size if you are a frequent shift-**** replacer.

Also, for best shift feel make sure you swap out old nasty clutch fluid with some new fluid and change your trans fluid! Between those three items the shifting will feel like a new car.

---edit to answer the following questions posted above--

Yes, there is a little more effort to shift - however, I would not say its heavy at all. I can pull it back into gear with one finger on the shift lever. Reverse is easier to get since its not quite as far away. If any gear is a problem, I'd say its 2nd only when its cold (shifting is a little "crunchy").

roughly 2k miles on it and its been flawless. I dont suspect there will ever be an issue with the way the item is built. I was seriously impressed by its q/c.

Last edited by Ahrmike; 03-31-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by NOrrTH
My Z06 only has 5k on it and the shifter is excellent. I think people who review the MGW should say how many miles are on their stock shifter when then made the switch.
Mine was at 30K when it came out. Shifters dont normally wear out so mileage really shouldnt make a difference. The only possible item that could wear out is the grease...and mine was still wet.

you should definitely test out an MGW in a local forum members car. Its night and day difference.
NOrrTH (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 AM
BigW1998
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to NCVette_1FUNRIDE, I am able to enjoy my MGW with the lower box. It is such a noticeable difference from the OEM shifter.

Very precise, short throws. Rarely miss a shift, and it is definitely smoother to drive. I haven't noticed any rattles/noises. My guess is the insulation kit that came with it helps with that if installed properly.

Definitely worth the price and the time it takes to install.

Last edited by BigW1998; 03-31-2017 at 08:50 AM.
ncvette_1FUNRIDE (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:56 AM
erfayard
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the newest version with a flat stick and billet lower box. I absolutely love it. I replaced the factory shifter at 57k miles and have not looked back since. Very precise shifting, shorter throws, and the look is amazing. Install was very easy.

-Ethan
Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Great feedback guys! I'm still on the fence but very close to buying one to try out. I don't mind if the shifts take a "bit" more effort - you should expect that since the shifts are shorter and the centering action is stronger. My main reason for the thread is to get some honest feedback on the con's/negative's, and so thank you to those who have shared them. I'm very comfortable modifying my car, so the install doesn't bother me. George put out a new video with all steps start to finish and it looks easy to me. I'll give it some more thought. Worst case, I get it and don't like it - I put my stock one back in!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by 1k3y
Mine was at 30K when it came out. Shifters dont normally wear out so mileage really shouldnt make a difference. The only possible item that could wear out is the grease...and mine was still wet.

you should definitely test out an MGW in a local forum members car. Its night and day difference.
Incorrect, there is an "0" ring that oem shifter rod rides on. It will eventually wear and break off, dangling on the shifter rod. This causes a rubbery feel and misalignment, especially in third gear. Secondly, if I remember correctly, there are mounting bushings that wear causing movement and misalignment of the shifter. At one time, aftermarket bushings were sold.

To the OP: The above reason is why I installed the MGW shifter. I have a 2008, installed the shifter only because the box was not available at the time. Shifting was improved, shorter throws and a more positive feel. During my shifter install, I noticed the "0" ring in the shifter box was torn and dangling. A few months later, MGW released the lower shifter box and I installed it. I noticed right away further improvement in shifting, better feel in the shifting gate and an overall improvement in shifting. I hear some describe as a "notchy feel". I describe it as a more positive feel of being in the selected gear. So a little "notchy" yes, but in a confident way of knowing you are in that gear. How "notchy" would you say it is, if I can take two fingers and shift down from 1st-2nd or 3rd- 4th or 5th-6th? When shifting up to 2nd-3rd or 4th-5th with my palm, I feel the shift gate more precisely, giving me the confidence that I am going into the selected gear. No more missed 3rd gear shifts! As far as reverse gear, I usually go into 5th gear first and back out into reverse when backing out of the garage when cold. I think that has to do with the cold manual transmission oil. Once oil is warm, I'm good.

Today, the shifter and lower box are sold together, as it should. Shifter alone is only half the issue, the lower box is the other.

Note: One key to installing (watch the video) is properly aligning the shifter rod together with the shifter. Correctly done, you will really enjoy this mod. MGW sells the shifter with an aligning tool. 25k miles later and it still works flawless

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 03-31-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To MGW Shifter Opinions (Latest Version Only - With Lower Box!)

Old 03-31-2017, 11:43 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Great to hear. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on this as well. Tired of these civic-type shifts. haha.
Not to hijack. But are you all doing the viper mod (or whatever it's called)? Shift detent spring swap when you swap the shifter.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
Great to hear. I'm wanting to pull the trigger on this as well. Tired of these civic-type shifts. haha.
Not to hijack. But are you all doing the viper mod (or whatever it's called)? Shift detent spring swap when you swap the shifter.
No, it's perfectly fine the way it is!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:50 AM
hms
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Should have came this way (MGW) from gm.Just do it. You won't regret it.

Last edited by hms; 03-31-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MGW Shifter Opinions (Latest Version Only - With Lower Box!)