C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette dash and bumper lettering

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:04 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Corvette dash and bumper lettering

I just bought two sets of the vinyl lettering for the dash and the rear bumper from one of the vendors on this site who was offering them at a special price. What a joke that lettering is. I owned and operated a vinyl sign making company for 15 years and I have never seen cut vinyl that looks so trashy when installed. The letters appear to be domed in the ads, but they actually lie in the depressed area on the dash in a concave manner. They just look cheaply done. The lettering is exactly the same size as the outer dimensions of the dash and bumper recesses, causing them to look like fake vinyl (which, of course they are). Working diligently with a pair of tweesers, my blue vinyl gloves, several Q-tips and a bottle of alcohol I attempted to install the dash letters. The "C" went in OK, but it looked really cheesy. The single "OR" was way too flexible to control and was nearly impossible to align. When I got it in place, I was convinced that the chrome lettering cheapened the interior of the car and I removed the "C" and "OR" and placed them back on the wax paper carrier. I have actually done this before on my 4th gen Camaro, custom cutting reflective black lettering to fill in the recessed "CAMARO" on the Pewter rear bumper. Piece of cake and it was still on the car when I sold it last year. This stuff with the GM labels is basically crap from an appearance and quality standpoint. These letters should have been masked with transfer tape so that they could be installed as a unit rather than picking the individual elements off of the carrier paper. If you haven't wasted your money on these things, don't!

BTW, didn't someone offer stainless cut letters with a brushed finish? The rigidity the stainless would would grately simplify the installation.

OK, rant over.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-05-2017 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Topdown12 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:39 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare. You probably spent enough time on the project to realize the subtle look of the dash lettering in the same color as the dash actually looks good.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:44 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Stainless letters are awesome for the rear...but would be projectiles on the passenger side airbag. See stainless here.

Last edited by jdvann; 04-05-2017 at 08:46 PM.
zzjakect (04-16-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
BTW, didn't someone offer stainless cut letters with a brushed finish? The rigidity the stainless would would grately simplify the installation.
Do u mean like this .... been on the car for 2 years , don't get caught on towels and still looks as good as the day I installed them
Dave

Old 04-06-2017, 12:17 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

IMO

1) don't do dash letters
2) paint rear bumper letters
Old 04-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Do u mean like this .... been on the car for 2 years , don't get caught on towels and still looks as good as the day I installed them
Dave

The "C" is crooked...
craigyboy (07-27-2023)
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The "C" is crooked...
Oh I can assure you that its not in person , just the angle of the camera

The letters fit into the cavity in the bumper so unless the bumper is crooked , they are stainless with a coating and they fit great

Dave
1pt4brd (04-17-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Oh I can assure you that its not in person , just the angle of the camera

The letters fit into the cavity in the bumper so unless the bumper is crooked , they are stainless with a coating and they fit great

Dave
Crooked or not, that "C" would drive me crazy. I did mine with .25 worth of paint, some tape, and 20 minutes of my time. Probably does not look as good, though.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:53 AM
NashvilleGrandSport
Melting Slicks

Received 715 Likes on 483 Posts

I have the Ultra Chrome vinyl type letters. About $25 two years ago.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:21 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

Paint 'em. There's a thread buried on here where someone got out and painted his and his friends. Looked good. I did mine about 6 months ago. Was a breeze and looks good.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:36 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I got some from emblempros. They're thick plastic and stick out a little bit. I'm sure they'll be shrapnel if/when that airbag goes off. Stainless for the rear from the same people. I like it!
Old 04-14-2017, 06:48 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
I got some from emblempros. They're thick plastic and stick out a little bit. I'm sure they'll be shrapnel if/when that airbag goes off. Stainless for the rear from the same people. I like it!
I ordered the stainless lettering for the back bumper and just installed it. Chip shot. Took about ten minutes including gathering up the Q-tips and alcohol. They look great. I just ordered a second set for the passenger side dash. I'll just require passengers to wear goggles. And, no, I won't post a picture because someone will say it's on crooked. In the sign business for 15 years, I can't tell you how many customers thought that was funny.

Last edited by RagTop69; 04-14-2017 at 06:51 PM.
gordosoar (04-20-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I ordered the stainless lettering for the back bumper and And, no, I won't post a picture because someone will say it's on crooked. In the sign business for 15 years, I can't tell you how many customers thought that was funny.
Love my chrome letters , even if they are crooked lol lol
( Of course they've not )

Dave
Old 04-15-2017, 12:21 AM
Hebebad
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Sounds like a nightmare. You probably spent enough time on the project to realize the subtle look of the dash lettering in the same color as the dash actually looks good.
I bought silver lettering for the dash, kept it on for a day and then ripped it off. Didn't like the look at all.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
IMO

1) don't do dash letters
2) paint rear bumper letters

I've never like the lettering inlays on the dash or bumper. Heck anyone with half a brain knows its a Corvette. A license plate frame is enough in my opinion. If the color matched frames weren't so expensive I'd ditch my chrome"Corvette" frame too. The more subtle the better IMO
Old 04-15-2017, 10:20 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

I just bought two sets of the vinyl lettering for the dash and the rear bumper from one of the vendors on this site who was offering them at a special price. What a joke that lettering is. I owned and operated a vinyl sign making company for 15 years and I have never seen cut vinyl that looks so trashy when installed. The letters appear to be domed in the ads, but they actually lie in the depressed area on the dash in a concave manner. They just look cheaply done. The lettering is exactly the same size as the outer dimensions of the dash and bumper recesses, causing them to look like fake vinyl (which, of course they are). Working diligently with a pair of tweesers, my blue vinyl gloves, several Q-tips and a bottle of alcohol I attempted to install the dash letters. The "C" went in OK, but it looked really cheesy. The single "OR" was way too flexible to control and was nearly impossible to align. When I got it in place, I was convinced that the chrome lettering cheapened the interior of the car and I removed the "C" and "OR" and placed them back on the wax paper carrier. I have actually done this before on my 4th gen Camaro, custom cutting reflective black lettering to fill in the recessed "CAMARO" on the Pewter rear bumper. Piece of cake and it was still on the car when I sold it last year. This stuff with the GM labels is basically crap from an appearance and quality standpoint. These letters should have been masked with transfer tape so that they could be installed as a unit rather than picking the individual elements off of the carrier paper. If you haven't wasted your money on these things, don't!

OK, rant over.
HUH...?? You think the rigidity of the metal would simplify trying to get it to fit into a con caved slot in vinyl....and stay put ??......
Old 04-15-2017, 10:21 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
I've never like the lettering inlays on the dash or bumper. Heck anyone with half a brain knows its a Corvette. A license plate frame is enough in my opinion. If the color matched frames weren't so expensive I'd ditch my chrome"Corvette" frame too. The more subtle the better IMO
thats why there is black and white ..... lol

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette dash and bumper lettering

Old 04-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by windyC6
HUH...?? You think the rigidity of the metal would simplify trying to get it to fit into a con caved slot in vinyl....and stay put ??......
my polished stainless fit perfectly, i spent time making sure they fit the contour before taking the backing paper off as i did not want the letters grabbing my towels when drying or waxing

Been on for over a year now

Dave
Old 04-15-2017, 12:33 PM
onemortoy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I had these made to match the other silver trim, so it looked factory.They are in a clear domed plastic. Prep is the key.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by onemortoy

I had these made to match the other silver trim, so it looked factory.They are in a clear domed plastic. Prep is the key.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Looks great and should have come that way from the factory.

Quick Reply: Corvette dash and bumper lettering