C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Shift Cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:04 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

The "great" dealership that drained oil without adding any is in Illinois. Same one that sells a lot of Corvettes yet still managed to break a rocker panel by not lifting mine correctly the first time I went there.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
I'm curious what yours will look like. Lower miles but older. Please post pictures.
Originally Posted by HBsurfer
If Bruze posts a pic of my cable, it had about 35,000 miles on it and was on my 2007.
It looked pretty good but maybe a little worse than the photos Vet just posted.
Mine was probably fine but considering the grommets are plastic, I would think that failure would be sudden. Metal will slowly fatigue and show wear over time but plastic just snaps. I think appearances in this case may be misleading.
Got my car back from my buddy today. He put in a new cable, snapped the locking pawl off, and did some other things I needed done. At least I'm not going to be paranoid of using the shift lever now. It should last the rest of my years . . . the sane ones that are left anyway, ha.

There really is no difference between HB's cable and mine. I had to mark them so I didn't mix them up.

His: '07 35k miles; mine: '07 31k miles. (Thanks again, HB! )

A somewhat depressing surprise: I bought the new cable from the local Chevy dealer. My buddy handed me a sticker today that was on the cable. It said "Made in China."

I don't recall anyone on CF mentioning this, and I've read all the cable threads. Is this new? I wonder if the plastic ends are recycled from the plastic Japanese toys I played with as a kid in the '50s, that would break when I dropped them on the floor . . . ?

Name:  T%20005_zpslmzqw9kb.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  90.0 KB

Last edited by Bruze; 08-17-2017 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Replaced Photobucket image
The following users liked this post:
Vet Interested (06-24-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 10:05 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 216 Likes on 140 Posts

I ordered new (Dorman) groments for both ends and replaced them both in about a couple hours. Total costs was about $9. The cable isn't what fails, it is the grommets. The only hard part was getting the old grommets to release from the cable.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-grommet.html

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-23-2017 at 10:09 PM.
HammerheadTed (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:27 AM
HammerheadTed
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope to do mine soon. Looks like it's a hard job, but if you change the grommets, it doesn't require removing the tunnel cover or the exhaust(maybe). If you replace the cable, you skip what seems to be one of the hardest things in getting the old grommets out and putting the new ones in, but tunnel cover and exhaust must be removed. CORRECT??
Old 06-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,496 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have read of people's cable breaking too, I would change the entire cable rather than do the grommets and yes tunnel plate/exhaust will have to be removed to do the grommets alone as well.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:25 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

I replaced both grommets on my car by just removing the shifter. I did not have to remove the exhaust or tunnel plate. Getting the old grommet off the transmission end of the cable was a bit of a challenge, but I managed to do it without taking anything off the car.

The only time I've heard of a cable actually breaking was after someone stressed it too much while trying to replace the grommets in it. That is a risk, and you do have to be careful not to lift up on the cable too much on the front when you are trying to replace the grommet on the shifter end of the cable.

I think most of the aftermarket grommets are also made of polyurethane instead of nylon, so they may last longer than the OEM ones that come on a new shift cable. If I bought a new cable, I'd seriously consider replacing the grommets on both ends before installing it. Otherwise, you'll be back in the same boat in a few more years.

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-24-2017 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I have read of people's cable breaking too, I would change the entire cable rather than do the grommets and yes tunnel plate/exhaust will have to be removed to do the grommets alone as well.
Yes, I remember reading the same thing here, that's why I opted to change the whole cable. It's only about $50.
Mad*Max (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Here is a link to the dorman site. It shows their bushings are made of polyurethane. OEM are nylon and this is the root of the problem.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...9&SEName=14055
Old 06-24-2017, 10:48 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Got my car back from my buddy today. He put in a new cable, snapped the locking pawl off, and did some other things I needed done. At least I'm not going to be paranoid of using the shift lever now. It should last the rest of my years . . . the sane ones that are left anyway, ha.

There really is no difference between HB's cable and mine. I had to mark them so I didn't mix them up.

His: '07 35k miles; mine: '07 31k miles. (Thanks again, HB! )

A somewhat depressing surprise: I bought the new cable from the local Chevy dealer. My buddy handed me a sticker today that was on the cable. It said "Made in China."

I don't recall anyone on CF mentioning this, and I've read all the cable threads. Is this new? I wonder if the plastic ends are recycled from the plastic Japanese toys I played with as a kid in the '50s, that would break when I dropped them on the floor . . . ?

I bought my cable from GM Parts Direct a year or so ago, and right on the box it says "Made in China (Mainland)". I'm not sure, but the cables may have always been made there. I haven't installed mine yet as my shifter problem turned out not to be the cable or grommets, but rather the cable adjuster. The Chevrolet dealer apparently disturbed the adjuster when replacing the fuel pump in my car.

Last edited by unclecookie; 06-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Looking at these two cables, HB's cable looks like it might be a little cleaner. But zooming in on Bruce's cable, are those casting marks, wear marks or cracks. Then again it could be nothing. Interesting to check out.
Thanks for posting.

Actually, zooming in on HB's cable I can faintly see the same marks so it must be casting. Oh well....

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-24-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:55 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSixDude
Here is a link to the dorman site. It shows their bushings are made of polyurethane. OEM are nylon and this is the root of the problem.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemde...9&SEName=14055
Look up the properties of injection-molded polyurethane and nylon and decide which would be better for this application. Believe me, plastic part designers DO choose the right material for the application (I've worked with them all my life) -- it's their job. Could there be more than one polymer with similar properties? -- sure.

The odds of GM using the wrong material is highly unlikely, and I have no love for GM except that they make a great sports car. In the complex world of polymers, this is pretty simple stuff.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:15 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

If GM picked the right type of plastic, how come the bushings are cracking and falling apart?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:20 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Glad you got it done before getting stranded. I was paranoid every time I used the car until I replaced my cable. I did not notice where my cable was made. Never relay looked. I think I used the box to send you the old cable. Never noticed made in China, but it sure is possible
Bruze (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 07:21 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Looking at these two cables, HB's cable looks like it might be a little cleaner. But zooming in on Bruce's cable, are those casting marks, wear marks or cracks. Then again it could be nothing. Interesting to check out.
Thanks for posting.

Actually, zooming in on HB's cable I can faintly see the same marks so it must be casting. Oh well....
Looking at them side-by-side, in real life, you can't tell them apart.

It has been noted, in other threads as I recall, that maybe heat has some effect on the bushings. The climate where HB is and where I am is dramatically different. In ten years and around the same mileage, the difference in temperatures has had no obvious effect.

The one, and only one, advantage of being on the wrong end of life is that you can see an end to things: It's highly unlikely that I will need another tranny cable on my C6, I will only need one more roof on my barn and probably my house, maybe two new trucks, one more chimney (which I'm getting replaced this year), etc., etc.

But aside from that, I'd still like to be 18 again.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CSixDude
If GM picked the right type of plastic, how come the bushings are cracking and falling apart?
Everything deteriorates in time, even granite. Some plastics would probably deteriorate even quicker under the same conditions.

Choosing the right polymer per application isn't rocket science, but there is a lot of (other) science behind it. Do engineers get into heated debates about which is the right one? Haha, I'm sure they do, although I've never seen it.

If the failure rate of C6 tranny cable bushings is notably higher than other makes and models, then they probably should have used bronze instead of plastic, although that wouldn't solve the riddle of WHY do they fail more often than other cars? -- all else being equal.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:38 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bruze
Everything deteriorates in time, even granite. Some plastics would probably deteriorate even quicker under the same conditions.

Choosing the right polymer per application isn't rocket science, but there is a lot of (other) science behind it. Do engineers get into heated debates about which is the right one? Haha, I'm sure they do, although I've never seen it.

If the failure rate of C6 tranny cable bushings is notably higher than other makes and models, then they probably should have used bronze instead of plastic, although that wouldn't solve the riddle of WHY do they fail more often than other cars? -- all else being equal.
Just me talking but I think the reason they seem to fail more on Corvettes is because they are subjected to more heat in a Corvette application than on most other cars. Just a thought.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 06-24-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:15 AM
rajahhindi
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Just me talking but I think the reason they seem to fail more on Corvettes is because they are subjected to more heat in a Corvette application than on most other cars. Just a thought.
Maybe! But my bush let go on my 2008 vette at the shifter with only 15000 miles. I do have long tubes, but the rear bush was yellow too.
So, i think age is a reason too.

Get notified of new replies

To Transmission Shift Cable

Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Maybe! But my bush let go on my 2008 vette at the shifter with only 15000 miles. I do have long tubes, but the rear bush was yellow too.
Age + heat=
Old 06-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,496 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

interestingly enought my 07's grommets were absolutely fine (visually) after 78,000 miles (I just changed my cable)

Originally Posted by rajahhindi
Age + heat=
Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Man....all this talk about the inevitable shifting cable blues is depressing... thanks GM.... I know what my dumb a$$ will do about it. Nothing. Then one day i'll be cursing up a storm somewhere cause i didn't do the right thing and change it before it broke.....

Quick Reply: Transmission Shift Cable