C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wax thread again.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon619
That Griots wax kit is a crazy price, I haven't use any of their car care products so I couldn't comment on how fair that price but their prices overall are high.
As higher-end traditional waxes go, I find
Griot's Premium Carnauba Paste Wax Griot's Premium Carnauba Paste Wax
to be a bargain at $30-$40 for a 14oz tin. I would compare it to Collinite 915 which are both nearly as good as Pinnacle Souveran or similar, but less than half the price.

All of the Griot's products I have tried have been at least a step above most of what Meguiar's or Mother's have to offer.
The following users liked this post:
Brandon619 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:28 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Clay bar once a year and Zaino once or twice a year and regular washes of course.

Last edited by humvet; 04-18-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoIsPat
As higher-end traditional waxes go, I find Griot's Premium Carnauba Paste Wax to be a bargain at $30-$40 for a 14oz tin. I would compare it to Collinite 915 which are both nearly as good as Pinnacle Souveran or similar, but less than half the price.

All of the Griot's products I have tried have been at least a step above most of what Meguiar's or Mother's have to offer.
Meguiar's sells a professional line of products that are pretty good. I just purchased a gallon of their X-Press wax and this stuff is pretty good for the price point. I've use their Ultimate Spray wax for quick details and in between monthly detailing but I've switched over to their X-Press wax from now on. I'm going to switch to the Meguiar's Wheel Brightener Gallon, I was using Adams Wheel Cleaner but that stuff gets pricey after awhile.

Last edited by Brandon619; 04-18-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:07 PM
humvet
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Meguiar's sells a professional line of products that are pretty good. I just purchased a gallon of their X-Press wax and this stuff is pretty good for the price point. I've use their Ultimate Spray wax for quick details and in between monthly detailing but I've switched over to their X-Press wax from now on. I'm going to switch to the Meguiar's Wheel Brightener Gallon, I was using Adams Wheel Cleaner but that stuff gets pricey after awhile.
A Gallon? Yikes! That's a 40 year supply of Zaino!
Brandon619 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by humvet
A Gallon? Yikes! That's a 40 year supply of Zaino!
The X-press wax is a just a synthetic spray wax, so like most spray waxes, is lacking in durability. It sells only by the gallon. With three vehicles I use this on, somewhat regularly, a gallon has lasted me around 16 months.

It is a great product to use as a detail spray because it is safe for many surfaces. I love it for wheels in the winter, as it allows me to clean them up, and provides decent protection for daily driven vehicles in snow, ice, or rain.

I don't use this product as my primary wax/protective product.
Brandon619 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I use the x-press wax as well between details on my truck and wife's caddy. I like that it can be used on anything.
Brandon619 (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

No wax.....Rejex.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11GrandSport
I use the x-press wax as well between details on my truck and wife's caddy. I like that it can be used on anything.
Exactly, the versatility of the X-press Wax is great

On another note, I am not a fan of Zaino. Been there done that, I will say this the last time I used Zaino was in 2004. I was new to the Corvette scene and new to the forum. I saw these threads of this amazing product called Zaino. I purchased some and was disappointed, maybe they have changed their formula but not a fan.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SSWEET
No wax.....Rejex.
This is a good product, I used this on my CCW wheels when I polished them and the shine and protection was amazing.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Midnight08
Racer

On another note, I am not a fan of Zaino. Been there done that, I will say this the last time I used Zaino was in 2004. I was new to the Corvette scene and new to the forum. I saw these threads of this amazing product called Zaino. I purchased some and was disappointed, maybe they have changed their formula but not a fan.
That is my experience, too. My car came with a bottle of Z-6 (their base detail spray). I knew I would need to step up my detailing game to keep the car in good shape, so I decided to stock up on their stuff. I've given it the college try for almost a year. No more. I have gotten way better results, and compliments, using mostly Chemical Guys products. Their videos on detailing technique, while certainly intended to market their products really helped me to know how to use a wide variety of brands, and I tried and really liked some of theirs, too.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:51 PM
KyJim
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 71 Posts

I like the X-Press spray wax and buy it 2 gals. at a time when on sale. I use 1 to 1 1/2 gal. a year. Spray it on a microfiber and wipe down the interior. As said, can be used on all surfaces.
Apply to each car each time I wash to extend the sealant protection. I also like Meguiar's Hyper Dressing for the black trim and tires.
11GrandSport (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 11:19 PM
11GrandSport
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

This is a good product, I used this on my CCW wheels when I polished them and the shine and protection was amazing.
I recently put some Polished CCW on my car. I got them looking pretty good so far. I will have to look into the Rejex, I have never tried it.

Last edited by 11GrandSport; 10-05-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:53 PM
NJRide
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is the best I’ve ever tried. I read a list of the best car waxes and they ranked and compared them all and Meguiar’s was the best for the kind I was looking for. You can see the list here.
Richard F (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:45 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11GrandSport
I recently put some Polished CCW on my car. They were in rough shape when purchased. I have been sanding and polishing on them. I got them looking pretty good so far. I will have to look into the Rejex, I have never tried it.
Grandsport, it's a really good product I would recommend polishing your wheels before you seal them with Rejex
11GrandSport (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by NJRide
Meguiar’s Ultimate Liquid Wax is the best I’ve ever tried. I read a list of the best car waxes and they ranked and compared them all and Meguiar’s was the best for the kind I was looking for. You can see the list here.
Yep, and either by hand or DA polisher, I really like it so its the only one for me. So easy with the "thin coat" technology
NSF
Old 05-07-2017, 04:59 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

136 posts later....and it will always be the same as it has been in previous threads here and back when I was on the C5 section: the best wax is the one YOU like!! All of us here will use quality stuff....some of us will like "X" because it does whatever, and some of us will like "Y" because IT does what we like better than X or Z....and on it will go! Best advice is buy quality products (all mentioned here), try different ones and when you find one that suits YOUR methods AND you like the results.....that's the one!! For 15yrs in the corvette world....it's Zaino for me...expensive, but honestly, as good as all and easier (and my age a bigggie ) to use than most. ....plus it smells damn good!!

The following 2 users liked this post by blittle:
Brandon619 (05-07-2017), zx12rider (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 05:00 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by humvet
Clay bar once a year and Zaino once or twice a year and regular washes of course.

Beautiful shine!!

humvet (06-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Car wax thread again.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:35 PM
Brandon619
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by blittle
136 posts later....and it will always be the same as it has been in previous threads here and back when I was on the C5 section: the best wax is the one YOU like!! All of us here will use quality stuff....some of us will like "X" because it does whatever, and some of us will like "Y" because IT does what we like better than X or Z....and on it will go! Best advice is buy quality products (all mentioned here), try different ones and when you find one that suits YOUR methods AND you like the results.....that's the one!! For 15yrs in the corvette world....it's Zaino for me...expensive, but honestly, as good as all and easier (and my age a bigggie ) to use than most. ....plus it smells damn good!!

Well said my friend
Old 05-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Midnight08
Racer

Originally Posted by blittle
For 15yrs in the corvette world....it's Zaino for me...expensive, but honestly, as good as all and easier (and my age a bigggie ) to use than most. ....plus it smells damn good!!
Exactly opposite my experience. For me, Zaino was a pain in the but to use and if failed to yield results commensurate with the effort to remove. And, I always applied very thin, relative to their comments for application. Now, I have a box of their stuff that's worthless to me.

I did find other brands that were far easier to work with (hand or machine) and have yielded much better results.

Clearly, not all "good" products are created equal. I gave Zaino the honest college try a few times - never got results I was happy with, though now, all three of our black vehicles turn heads wherever they go.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoneychris
Have you tried Pinnacle Signature Series II? I've tried a bunch of different waxes & polishes. If you are going to wax your car by hand, this is hands down, the easiest, most forgiving, best looking (end result) wax that I've ever used. It goes on like butter (no chalky stuff) It buffs off clean w/a microfiber towel. Easy PZ, Plus it smells awesome. It worked great on the Black Vette I had before & it works awesome on the White Vette I have now.

( http://www.autogeek.net/pisisepawax.html )

Used Meguirs for years and still like it but used the Pinnacle for first time last December . Friends daughters was in a Christmas parade and I detailed the car and used the Pinnacle. I was amazed at how great it looked and easy to use. Now It does not hold up as long as Meguires but mine is not a DD anyway

Time to detail it again but have not had time, my next weekend project
dmoneychris (05-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Car wax thread again.