C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid replacement & bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 04:13 PM
velani
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
Hi Jim,

Dot 3 is primarily street use brake fluid, I'm sure it works well at the drag strip and autocross track too. It doesn't have as high of boiling point, but its hygroscopic properties are better.

Dot 4 can be used at higher temperatures but must be changed more frequently as it more readily absorbs water.
So I guess I should be fine with using that Valvoline Dot 3/Dot 4 I am using, correct? Or should I stick with using Dot 3 only like the cap of the reservoir says?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:14 AM
dblais
Instructor

I did not mean to mislead. The tool is mityvac. I did complete job myself. Total caliper rebuild (seal kit)after the coating. I was not satisfied with the paint kit. I picked a RAL color similar to Chevy orange. The valve covers were done at the same time. The problem was bleeding a drained system, required a scan tool. Once you open the system do not allow to drain. I use the Valvoline synthetic DOT 3-4 fluid.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:40 PM
velani
Heel & Toe

Thank you ll for your replies and suggestions. I have worked up a solution which I will share once it is tested and proven.

Now I am working on building a ramp since my current Rhino ramps are too steep. Ordering a set of Race ramps makes the most sense but at a very steep price.

Thinking of building 2 sets since I would like to lift the whole Vette so that I can bleed all 4 tires at once.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by velani
So I guess I should be fine with using that Valvoline Dot 3/Dot 4 I am using, correct? Or should I stick with using Dot 3 only like the cap of the reservoir says?
In theory, GM might deny a warranty claim because you are using DOT3/4 instead of exactly DOT3 as specified. And fighting them over an issue like this (instead of persuading them gently) could easily cost you several times what it's worth, with no guarantee of success.

But realistically, I've never heard of a brake problem caused or warranty claim being denied because of DOT4. In fact, there have been very few brake warranty claims at all, except for noise. Heck, the C6 is probably the only sports car in the whole world where the manufacturer doesn't tell you to ever flush the fluid. Maybe that's why they specify DOT3.

We've been using GM DOT4 in our C6 brakes since 2006 (160k+ miles), flushed in by the dealer at my request. No problems, no questions by the dealer. But I do have the fluid flushed once per year, using the scan tool to exercise the ABS module.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:01 PM
CamarosRus
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 600 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

bump a good thread

Quick Reply: Brake fluid replacement & bleeding