C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Old 04-18-2017, 09:44 PM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Liked 103 Times in 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Movie Muscle View Post
How many of the people quipping off here have run a car that can shake down 0-60 in 2.3!! With a 1.8 G launch. I can only imagine the rush. It's not going to beat a Vette when it comes to handling but with the 315's on all four corners vs the front runners it might deliver reasonable about town sporty handling. Nobody here would call a C5 Z06 a bad handling car per say but it only managed .98 G's for cornering in stock form....A Helllcat will do .89. We have however moved forward a bunch from the C5, and yes I know there is FAR more to handling than just the G's a car can pull in the corner.
My Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and the 1/4 in 9.7. It puts a huge grin on my face every time I twist the throttle.

I'll put it up against the Challenger Demon any day on any track, straight or with curves. And it only cost me $11,000.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 PM
tonypittman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 125 Times in 77 Posts

I'd like to see the Demon out there doing this, even against the C3. Good luck! It would be a BOAT out there.

Last edited by tonypittman; 04-18-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Liked 433 Times in 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
My Suzuki Hayabusa motorcycle does 0-60 in 2.3 seconds, and the 1/4 in 9.7. It puts a huge grin on my face every time I twist the throttle.

I'll put it up against the Challenger Demon any day on any track, straight or with curves. And it only cost me $11,000.
(yawn) here we go with nonsensical comparisons. Okay, a bullet from my .243 can do the quarter in 0.37 seconds, and it cost me 27 cents. Does that have anything to do with comparing vehicles with 4 wheels, street legal, which are built solely for 1/4 mile competition? Of course not.

If you want to do a serious comparison, find another 4 wheel, street legal, non-modified vehicle that can beat it. Then, you will be making sense.
The following 5 users liked this post by buckmeister2:
doomi (04-19-2017), Millenium Z06 (04-19-2017), Movie Muscle (04-19-2017), Uncle Meat (04-19-2017), Vet Interested (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:39 PM
tonypittman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 125 Times in 77 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
(yawn) here we go with nonsensical comparisons. Okay, a bullet from my .243 can do the quarter in 0.37 seconds, and it cost me 27 cents. Does that have anything to do with comparing vehicles with 4 wheels, street legal, which are built solely for 1/4 mile competition? Of course not.

If you want to do a serious comparison, find another 4 wheel, street legal, non-modified vehicle that can beat it. Then, you will be making sense.
Agree. Let's not bring bikes into this. The market competition is going to be mainly between Dodge and Chevy here. The Demon will win against Chevy's best...IN A STRAIGHT LINE.

But, the Corvette Z's (06 and R1) will clearly be the better overall cars in this price range of American high performance cars. The Dodge will clearly be a BOAT trying to navigate any kind of road course, or street competition with any curves, for that matter.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 PM
hillwilliam
CF Senior Member

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

other than the demon what year was it that an automaker made a street legal car with a warranty that could pull the front tires during a launch???????????????....It was a ...no never mind this is a first, and since some want to compare apples to oranges or 2 wheels to 4, how about, I bet your car cant rock crawl or creek cross like my Polaris RZR, this is becoming a very entertaining post
The following 2 users liked this post by hillwilliam:
tonypittman (04-19-2017), Uncle Meat (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Jbster
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
Fiat
Fix It Again Tony.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Gerdia
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Then there is the Exorcist Demon killer

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/...se-demons.html
Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 AM
PDCjonny
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

The idiocy is strong here. This is a purpose built car for drag racing which is a thousand times more popular than road racing. With a factory warranty. Bring up drag racing and fan bois talk road racing. Bring up road racing (ahem ACR) and fan bois say what about the 1/4" mile time? Got to hurt being constantly playing catch-up.
The following 2 users liked this post by PDCjonny:
Millenium Z06 (04-19-2017), Movie Muscle (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 AM
98Pace
CF Senior Member

Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ByRiver View Post
I'm pretty sure you can build a 1/4 mile car that can outrun a Corvette for far less than $90k.

It will cost you all that $90k and maybe a little more to build one to beat a Vette on a road racing course.
Go tell that to the Miata guys..
The following 2 users liked this post by 98Pace:
Millenium Z06 (04-19-2017), Movie Muscle (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:34 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Liked 139 Times in 122 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6 View Post
What year COPO'S and C-Jets are we talking about here ??
Pretty sure were all talking about the current modern versions as we are speaking about them in terms relative to the Demon
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by tonypittman View Post
I'd like to see the Demon out there doing this, even against the C3. Good luck! It would be a BOAT out there.

https://youtu.be/JUrN3xn3I-E
Whats a Dodge Demons target market?
Whats it marketed as?
Whos attempting to call it a road course car?

Comments like this are dumb
The following users liked this post: Millenium Z06
Kainedogg (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Millenium Z06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Gerdia View Post
Then there is the Exorcist Demon killer

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/...se-demons.html
That has 200 hp and is still slower because its not set up the same and lastly but maybe should be most important, is modded by Hennessey.
What sane person would give any hard earned money to him and expect what you paid for and for it to last?

Lastly, its a modded car, not factory stock and no GM warranty
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
dmk0210
CF Senior Member

Liked 110 Times in 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Landru View Post
More of a weird gamble.
Dodge abandons Viper in lieu of this?

Yes it is, it's also a halo car for GM generating beaucoup tech which filters down to most other GM vehicles.
Dodge should've been using Viper from the beginning just as GM used Corvette.

Viper's demise is a real pity while this Challenger makes little sense.
Can sales & MSRP between the 2 will be much different?
The Viper was an expensive sports car that had little commonality to the rest of the Dodge lineup. (Don't get me wrong I wish they could have kept it, but I see their logic as tragic as it is)

The Demon and Hellcat can still be a Halo car and at the same time have a lot of parts commonality with normal bread and butter Chargers and Challengers. They won't sell a lot of Demons, but they don't care. They will sell a lot of six cyl or RT Challengers and the Demon is just one of those cars with some go-fast parts on it.

Last edited by dmk0210; 04-19-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:53 AM
snow
CF Senior Member

Liked 185 Times in 150 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

I'm with some of the others in this thread. Will I go out and buy one? nope. I would do the ZL1 1LE first but that is what floats my boat. I do agree that what Dodge has done is great for American muscle, the sad part is that Chevy could very well have out done them, but chose to not get into the HP wars. I think Dodge will have a hard time selling these units if the current inventory of hellcats (at lease in SFLA) at dealers is any indication. Down here the dealer near me has 12 and they have been on the lot forever...

So just be happy that some one is pushing the HP envelope in a production car, may be Chevy will get the idea soon. We still know that the Vette is king...
Old 04-19-2017, 10:12 AM
ByRiver
CF Senior Member

Liked 103 Times in 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210 View Post
The Viper was an expensive sports car that had little commonality to the rest of the Dodge lineup. (Don't get me wrong I wish they could have kept it, but I see their logic as tragic as it is)

The Demon and Hellcat can still be a Halo car and at the same time have a lot of parts commonality with normal bread and butter Chargers and Challengers. They won't sell a lot of Demons, but they don't care. They will sell a lot of six cyl or RT Challengers and the Demon is just one of those cars with some go-fast parts on it.

Back in the 70's, Dodge Mopar had the Direct Connection program. They didn't release variant cars like the Challenger Demon, but sold you the parts to build your own. No need to go to the aftermarket. Building it yourself was fun part.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 AM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Liked 395 Times in 340 Posts

Originally Posted by snow View Post
I'm with some of the others in this thread. Will I go out and buy one? nope. I would do the ZL1 1LE first but that is what floats my boat. I do agree that what Dodge has done is great for American muscle, the sad part is that Chevy could very well have out done them, but chose to not get into the HP wars. I think Dodge will have a hard time selling these units if the current inventory of hellcats (at lease in SFLA) at dealers is any indication. Down here the dealer near me has 12 and they have been on the lot forever...

So just be happy that some one is pushing the HP envelope in a production car, may be Chevy will get the idea soon. We still know that the Vette is king...
Some finally hit the nail on the head..."May be Chevy will get the idea soon". Both Chevy and Ford could build something similar if they wanted to. Why they don't, I dunno. Guess its not as important to their bottom lines as Mopars, or whom ever owns them. And a factory build comparable to the Demon could actually ad red to the bottom line.....
Old 04-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Charlie in TX
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I am with a few of the others. Will I buy one? Nope. It is still cool as hell.

To the few of you that run down CDR reliability while owning a Corvette, well, that is a case of the pot calling the kettle black if I ever heard of one. I have a Dodge 1500 that I have put 160,000 miles and have spent less in repairs than I have on my Corvette that I have put less than 16,000. Ever hear of a paper weight failing? Not until GM made a harmonic balancer.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Landru
CF Senior Member

Liked 412 Times in 366 Posts

Originally Posted by dmk0210 View Post
Except, a PU truck w/ a Copperhead V10.
Chrysler mismanaged the hell out of Viper, its doom due solely to price more than anything else.

Whatever tech Chrysler was developing should've appeared in Viper, first. Makes ownership extra special & reduction of MSRP would've put more Vipers on the road & it'd still be around.
GM does this w/ Corvette only they've an advantage having Cadillac to feature new tech, also.

Many boomers bought Dodge & Plymouth during the muscle car era. After ~'72 D/P really didn't have anything to offer anymore, totally abandoning performance in any form & those customers. OK, there was Dodge Shelby.
I was just such one, Chrysler's lame carline brought me straight to Corvette.

Can't disagree.
Just don't like the reality of it.
Lutz has to be pissed, suspect he'd another plan for Viper.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:46 PM
bdenny
CF Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brother, I agree with you on Vette repairs being too frequent. Mine only has 35K miles and I've had to have a harmonic balancer, new horn, etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 PM
windyC6
CF Senior Member

Liked 395 Times in 340 Posts

Originally Posted by bdenny View Post
Brother, I agree with you on Vette repairs being too frequent. Mine only has 35K miles and I've had to have a harmonic balancer, new horn, etc.
Yea....a lot of misconception about the reliability of our beloved vettes. Some people think that they are the most reliable car ever cause they don't leave you stranded on the side of the road and don't take multiple small and/or expensive problems into account. Have owned several and they have all had there share of ups and downs. Vettes have never been reliable as in hardly ever having problems.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sorry, Dodge Demon...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: