C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob stopped opening locked door

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2024, 12:29 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Key Fob stopped opening locked door

So the key fob which has been working fine, won't unlock the doors. I had to use the key to get in - but then it started just fine. This is an after market fob that's been working fine since I programmed it. As a support engineer, I often her, "it was working fine yesterday." Everything works until it doesn't. Yes .. I changed the battery in the fob.

I have a factory fob and am going to program it later. Anything else I can try?

Old 02-26-2024, 12:39 PM
LCZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

What year? When mine was messing up it had to do with the car battery. I would check yours out first.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:44 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by LCZ06
What year? When mine was messing up it had to do with the car battery. I would check yours out first.
It's a 2008. I now get the dreaded "no fobs detected." I disconnected the red top battery.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:46 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Be sure you're not carrying something in the same pocket with the fob that's blocking the signal.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:51 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Be sure you're not carrying something in the same pocket with the fob that's blocking the signal.
I thought about that. Unless someone in my house has erected a high powered transmitter, I'm gonna guess no RF interference.
The battery is only a few months old, it's an Optima red-top.

Also I put the keyfob in the slot behind the glove box to no avail.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:59 PM
oldcanuck
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 193 Posts

Did you check fob battery and car battery with a volt meter? As an engineer (don't know what a support engineer is) I hope you did.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:21 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by oldcanuck
Did you check fob battery and car battery with a volt meter? As an engineer (don't know what a support engineer is) I hope you did.
I checked both with a voltmeter.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:26 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_maniac
I checked both with a voltmeter.
And what did the fob battery read ? A brand new one should read 3.3 V DC
The following users liked this post:
Landru (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:28 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 379 Posts

Plugging the fob into the glove box slot (assuming you did so properly but no detail as to orientation) will eliminate the fob battery as the problem, and leads to some other issue. If you know the auto battery is fully charged and no dead cells (at least 12.6v or higher) then just pulling a battery cable and reconnecting it will reboot all the cars modules and hopefully resolve your problem. Best to start with the easy ones first.

Also, if you have something new plugged into the auto receptacles (phone charger, cables, etc.) disconnect them to see if that eliminates any possible interference.

Let us know (in detail) what steps you are taking and results; Good luck...GD
Old 02-26-2024, 01:48 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by corvette_maniac
I thought about that. Unless someone in my house has erected a high powered transmitter, I'm gonna guess no RF interference.
The battery is only a few months old, it's an Optima red-top.

Also I put the keyfob in the slot behind the glove box to no avail.
Wait and let someone ask you the particulars of how you mounted it there. Someone else has posted here in the recent past about exactly how that fob should be mounted, but I don't know those particulars.

I can say to be sure you don't have anything plugged into the electrical outlet between the seats.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:57 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by gdmoore01
Plugging the fob into the glove box slot (assuming you did so properly but no detail as to orientation) will eliminate the fob battery as the problem, and leads to some other issue. If you know the auto battery is fully charged and no dead cells (at least 12.6v or higher) then just pulling a battery cable and reconnecting it will reboot all the cars modules and hopefully resolve your problem. Best to start with the easy ones first.

Also, if you have something new plugged into the auto receptacles (phone charger, cables, etc.) disconnect them to see if that eliminates any possible interference.

Let us know (in detail) what steps you are taking and results; Good luck...GD
The orientation was proper and still didn't work. The battery is 12.4v. The fob battery swap made no difference. It's either a transmit or receive issue. I'll start with transmit: I have a Tek2 clone, might break that out and setup my new key fob. It has to be done anyhow. If it's a recieve issue, it'll be time to break our the service manual.

I was not able to unlock the door, I had to use the key and set the alarm to get in. The car cranked right up. I stopped it, tried again and was not able to unlock or start the car. That's the history.
The following users liked this post:
LCZ06 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 02:50 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

OK, still didn't see information that you performed a module reset by disconnecting & reconnecting the battery. If you haven't, try it, as these cars are crazy sensitive to battery power, so a main battery swap with a truly healthy unit (12.4v is not fully charged) may just do the trick. Batteries may not come to a fully charged state due to some internal failure that results a no start condition based on a load fault.

Also, are you hearing any of the normal relay clicking sounds coming from the RCDLR module (located in the upper center dash above the radio) when you enter the car with a fob prior to attempting the auto start function, green light coming on the ignition switch upon entering?

GD

Last edited by gdmoore01; 02-26-2024 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:11 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by gdmoore01
OK, still didn't see information that you performed a module reset by disconnecting & reconnecting the battery. If you haven't, try it, as these cars are crazy sensitive to battery power, so a main battery swap with a truly healthy unit (12.4v is not fully charged) may just do the trick. Batteries may not come to a fully charged state due to some internal failure that results a no start condition based on a load fault.

Also, are you hearing any of the normal relay clicking sounds coming from the RCDLR module (located in the upper center dash above the radio) when you enter the car with a fob prior to attempting the auto start function, green light coming on the ignition switch upon entering?

GD
I disconnected the battery a few hours ago and haven't gotten back to it yet. That's exactly what I'm hoping for is a module reset to clear the issue.
I was hearing the normal clicking ....and didn't notice the green light though. When I reconnect the battery shortly .... I'll check those things. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Old 02-26-2024, 03:15 PM
SivaSuryaKshatriya
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Just as an additional data point, I have the same problem. I replaced the battery on my FOB and while I can unlock the doors, I can't pop the trunk or get the car to recognize that the FOB is in the vehicle. I have to put it in my glovebox which is kind of annoying. I have a brand new battery but it did die once when I forgot to trickle charge my car while it sat for 2 weeks. Following the thread for a fix.
Old 02-26-2024, 04:04 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Just as an additional data point, I have the same problem. I replaced the battery on my FOB and while I can unlock the doors, I can't pop the trunk or get the car to recognize that the FOB is in the vehicle. I have to put it in my glovebox which is kind of annoying. I have a brand new battery but it did die once when I forgot to trickle charge my car while it sat for 2 weeks. Following the thread for a fix.
Good info.

So I got the battery connected back and there was no change. I had to put the fob in the slot and push start 4 or 5 times and it would start. As soon as I shut it off, I got the message: "NO FOB - OFF OR RUN". I could restart without any problem but once I held down the ACC - -there was no restarting it.

I'm thinking it's the fob. Think it's time to program the new factory fob?
Old 02-26-2024, 05:15 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Update. Looks like we're good. The reset did indeed fix it. Just after the reset, I tested with a faulty fob. DUH.
With the proper key fob - ALLS GOOD!!!
The following 3 users liked this post by corvette_maniac:
cthusker (02-26-2024), Landru (02-27-2024), sonik_fury (02-27-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:44 PM
madsonp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by SivaSuryaKshatriya
Have your battery load tested (Autozone will do this for free) Chances are if your battery was fully dead, they usually never fully recover. As far as your fob battery, it could be new but has set on the shelf for a while, and it may be bad also, take a multimeter and test the voltage of it, a new one should show 3.3 Volts DC.

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob stopped opening locked door

Old 02-26-2024, 06:52 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Buy fob batteries somewhere that sells a lot of them, like Walmart.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:51 PM
corvette_maniac
Racer

Originally Posted by madsonp
Have your battery load tested (Autozone will do this for free) Chances are if your battery was fully dead, they usually never fully recover. As far as your fob battery, it could be new but has set on the shelf for a while, and it may be bad also, take a multimeter and test the voltage of it, a new one should show 3.3 Volts DC.
Well the red top was never fully dead. It's been fine since I got it several months ago. I've not heard good things about them and I have 3 other vehicles with them.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:13 PM
gdmoore01
Burning Brakes

How many fobs do you have? Does the car have the personaliztion functions? If you only have one, then there is no problem with programming fob2 and it will also have the ability to provide personalization settings, but this function will not work for fob3 & fob4. The latter two will perform all necessary auto functions with the exception of personalization.

Just read your update...good to hear. You should probably program another fob as a backup should you misplace the good one.

GD

Quick Reply: Key Fob stopped opening locked door