C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone still use the stock Nav?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I use it, works fine for me. Not the best user interface, but it works and it's always accurate.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:33 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 898 Likes on 584 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Until a year ago I used this beauty! I thought I could easily win any Most Outdated Cellphone contest but find stiff competition in Vette Nation
Oh hell no, I've got you all beat. Never had a cell phone, have no desire for one (except I would like to have Waze, damn it!). I don't want the gubermint tracking me and recording me. That's why I wear this tin foil hat. Pulled the fuse on On-Star, no Easy Pay transponder, cash only. When I commit my next felony I'll be off the grid.

I've been using GPS since back in the days of Selective Availability. I've got hand helds, marine, Garmin, etc. I've been using computers since the days of punch cards and spend 50 hours a week doing CAD & FEA work on a high end workstation. I've got more cameras than you can shake a stick at. But I maintain that the stock GM GPS is the worst piece of electronics I've come across since the AM radio in my '61 Corvair.
The following 2 users liked this post by dr_gallup:
Carvin (04-20-2017), denries (12-17-2023)
Old 04-20-2017, 04:44 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I use it, works fine for me. Not the best user interface, but it works and it's always accurate.
Also the speakers work just fine.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:05 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
Oh hell no, I've got you all beat. Never had a cell phone, have no desire for one (except I would like to have Waze, damn it!). I don't want the gubermint tracking me and recording me. That's why I wear this tin foil hat. Pulled the fuse on On-Star, no Easy Pay transponder, cash only. When I commit my next felony I'll be off the grid.

I've been using GPS since back in the days of Selective Availability. I've got hand helds, marine, Garmin, etc. I've been using computers since the days of punch cards and spend 50 hours a week doing CAD & FEA work on a high end workstation. I've got more cameras than you can shake a stick at. But I maintain that the stock GM GPS is the worst piece of electronics I've come across since the AM radio in my '61 Corvair.
you know they're tracking those GPS 's you're using too, right? It's getting hard for a hard working mobile drug dealer to make money anymore.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Saying that you like the stock navigation and not acknowledging it's short comings is like saying the Super Bowl party is at your house and you still have an old CRT television.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 04-20-2017 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mcrider (06-28-2018)
Old 04-20-2017, 07:27 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

(except I would like to have Waze, damn it!)
Waze provides a very useful service, but the user interface is terrible. A complete anti-pattern of how to design something intended for operation in a moving car. I'm convinced the recent surge in traffic fatalities might be due entirely to drivers fumbling with the Waze app.

But I maintain that the stock GM GPS is the worst piece of electronics I've come across since the AM radio in my '61 Corvair.
You should see the nav systems Mercedes is still shipping in 2017. They're no better.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:32 AM
HMannini
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Nav

I use my iPhone for navigation but I plug it into my Kenwood 9903s with carplay and it works just like a built-in nav system plus I never have to pay for a gps upgrade as apple upgrades automatically.....

Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 AM
ssmike56
Pro

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

I haven't used my nav yet after 2 years of ownership! I just use my iPhone, works fine!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:41 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=HMannini;1594575645]I use my iPhone for navigation but I plug it into my Kenwood 9903s with carplay and it works just like a built-in nav system plus I never have to pay for a gps upgrade as apple upgrades automatically.....

That graphics looks nice. For the cost all you gained is pretty. AND you lost the connection to your HUD. You know what that will ad to value IF you ever decide to sell...ZERO! As a matter of fact, I'd be taking it out, selling it and installing the NAV back in it.

Seeing the NAV on the HUD is worth every bit of the acknowledged "stick like" graphics on my C6.

LONG LIVE GM NAV!!!

Chuck M
The following 2 users liked this post by hotmotorsports:
FortMorganAl (04-22-2017), owc6 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

My 3LT car actually didn't have navigation. I could have installed an aftermarket setup, but I went with the OEM one for multiple reasons.

1) I like that it's OEM. I remember when I was looking at different C6s to purchase, I was always turned off if the owner replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one. I also really hate it if all the colors don't match when driving at night. A lot of aftermarket nav units will have colors that do not match the color of all the C6 interior buttons at night. Might sound a bit OCD, but it definitely bothers me.

2) I REALLY like the integration with the HUD for the GPS.

Those two reasons alone are enough for me to stick with the OEM nav. Sure, the graphics are outdated but I don't really care too much. I don't really look at the on screen map for directions anyways. I just go by what it tells me on the HUD. It would be nice to have Bluetooth music streaming, but I would rather have the above features. I have a little device I can plug into the aux port inside the center console if I really want to stream music from my phone anyways. Not a huge deal.

Last edited by Frankie15; 04-21-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:25 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Frankie15
My 3LT car actually didn't have navigation. I could have installed an aftermarket setup, but I went with the OEM one for multiple reasons.

1) I like that it's OEM. I remember when I was looking at different C6s to purchase, I was always turned off if the owner replaced the head unit with an aftermarket one. I also really hate it if all the colors don't match when driving at night. A lot of aftermarket nav units will have colors that do not match the color of all the C6 interior buttons at night. Might sound a bit OCD, but it definitely bothers me.

2) I REALLY like the integration with the HUD for the GPS.

Those two reasons alone are enough for me to stick with the OEM nav. Sure, the graphics are outdated but I don't really care too much. I don't really look at the on screen map for directions anyways. I just go by what it tells me on the HUD. It would be nice to have Bluetooth music streaming, but I would rather have the above features. I have a little device I can plug into the aux port inside the center console if I really want to stream music from my phone anyways. Not a huge deal.
Agreed. I plug my Iphone into the USB port and the info comes up on my OEM screen, love it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Corvette505
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone know what the gm part # is for these on a 2011?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

The stock navigation is/was dated even by GM standards. Years ago I bought my wife a 2008 GMC Acadia, and then a few years later I got her a 2012 Acadia. Both had HUD and both were better units with better graphics and more options than what GM was putting in the Corvettes. GM was really scraping the bottom of its parts bin to get rid of these head units by putting them into the Corvettes.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette505
Anyone know what the gm part # is for these on a 2011?
Do yourself a favor, get one of these,

Not one of these,

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 04-21-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:34 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
The stock navigation is/was dated even by GM standards. Years ago I bought my wife a 2008 GMC Acadia, and then a few years later I got her a 2012 Acadia. Both had HUD and both were better units with better graphics and more options than what GM was putting in the Corvettes. GM was really scraping the bottom of its parts bin to get rid of these head units by putting them into the Corvettes.
Interestingly, the Corvette nav is extremely similar to the OEM Denso units we had in our Toyota and Lexus vehicles and still have in our 2008 CX9. After basically using these since 2006 with good results I was happier to see this in my GS then a unit like the one in our BMW, which is not a touch screen but a mouse type controller.

Whatever bunch of millenials decided driving a car and inputing data with a mouse type device simultaneously is a good idea should be sent to Siberia . . . I dont care what the graphics are like.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by csf
Interestingly, the Corvette nav is extremely similar to the OEM Denso units we had in our Toyota and Lexus vehicles and still have in our 2008 CX9. After basically using these since 2006 with good results I was happier to see this in my GS then a unit like the one in our BMW, which is not a touch screen but a mouse type controller.

Whatever bunch of millenials decided driving a car and inputing data with a mouse type device simultaneously is a good idea should be sent to Siberia . . . I dont care what the graphics are like.

I agree with that too. The one saving grace of the Corvette nav, is that it is easy to replace. Can't say that for the BMW.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
Interestingly enough, the C6 nav unit is unique to the C6, and maybe the XLR. No other gm vehicle used it.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone still use the stock Nav?

Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 PM
thehueg
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you get out of diagnostic mode? Can you inadvertently “break” something while in that mode?
Old 06-27-2018, 10:42 PM
kevinkar
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I did not like the OEM unit at all and found it antiquated and a bit lame. But that's what you get for buying an 8 year old car that's now almost 13 years old. However, the NAV always functioned and was correct and accurate. The screen was easy to manipulate especially for zooming in and out and was generally easy to read. So, while I had the car, I found myself wanting something different but never pulled the trigger. So the OEM unit lasted the 4 years I owned the car. Not the best out there by any means but it worked.

Though I never used it as a means to find places I did not know. I ALWAYS know where I'm going because I check out the location/route before I go and use the NAV as a backup.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:18 AM
94Green
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 52 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
You know green is just one of the four color schemes you can choose, right?
I didn't know that other colors are available in HUD. How do you change them?

Quick Reply: Does anyone still use the stock Nav?