C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires on c6 convertible

Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts
Default New tires on c6 convertible

First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted anything at all about replacing tires on their C6 and those that responded to an earlier post I had about tire replacement questions.

I just arrived home from a 30 mile drive leaving the shop that installed 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP. As soon as I started to roll I immediately noticed the smoothness of the new tires. My ride home encompassed both low speed maneuvering in city traffic, high speed (80 mph) Turnpike driving, and intermediate speed driving once off the Turnpike. I know this short drive is really not adequate to fully evaluate the tires but it is enough to share my initial impressions.

As compared to the OEM tires, I felt as if the new tires were grabbing the road much better. The overall ride was definitely smoother than with the OEM tires. Just before replacing the tires, the car was definitely beginning to pull slightly to the right. All four new tires were balanced and aligned. The car now tracks straight with no pressure on the steering wheel. Prior tire or tire alignment problem? Not sure which or maybe a little bit of both.

I had the top up so I can't really comment on any appreciable noise reduction all though I have read and was told that I would notice a difference. That will remain to be seen as we get into the weekend and I drop the top and take it for a ride.

I am not one to spend more than $500 on anything until I research the product to the moon and back. I spoke to a lot of people and realized doing my research that there are Corvette Drivers and Corvette Collectors. The Collectors take their car out on Sundays, providing it isn't raining and are afraid to go too far in fear of putting too much milage on their Corvette. My Corvette is my everyday ride. If you enjoy it, use it. For me, if I wear mine out beyond repair, I know where to buy another one.

Anyway, I felt I made the right decision buying the tires I did. The incident that really bolstered my confidence in my decision making process was during a discussion I had with the installer. His shop does not sell the tires I bought. Thus I bought those tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped directly to the shop. After installation, he said to me, "You've got some really great tires on that Vette."

Thanks again everyone for all the input and advice.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:23 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by 45gunner
First of all, I want to thank everyone that has posted anything at all about replacing tires on their C6 and those that responded to an earlier post I had about tire replacement questions.

I just arrived home from a 30 mile drive leaving the shop that installed 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP. As soon as I started to roll I immediately noticed the smoothness of the new tires. My ride home encompassed both low speed maneuvering in city traffic, high speed (80 mph) Turnpike driving, and intermediate speed driving once off the Turnpike. I know this short drive is really not adequate to fully evaluate the tires but it is enough to share my initial impressions.

As compared to the OEM tires, I felt as if the new tires were grabbing the road much better. The overall ride was definitely smoother than with the OEM tires. Just before replacing the tires, the car was definitely beginning to pull slightly to the right. All four new tires were balanced and aligned. The car now tracks straight with no pressure on the steering wheel. Prior tire or tire alignment problem? Not sure which or maybe a little bit of both.

I had the top up so I can't really comment on any appreciable noise reduction all though I have read and was told that I would notice a difference. That will remain to be seen as we get into the weekend and I drop the top and take it for a ride.

I am not one to spend more than $500 on anything until I research the product to the moon and back. I spoke to a lot of people and realized doing my research that there are Corvette Drivers and Corvette Collectors. The Collectors take their car out on Sundays, providing it isn't raining and are afraid to go too far in fear of putting too much milage on their Corvette. My Corvette is my everyday ride. If you enjoy it, use it. For me, if I wear mine out beyond repair, I know where to buy another one.

Anyway, I felt I made the right decision buying the tires I did. The incident that really bolstered my confidence in my decision making process was during a discussion I had with the installer. His shop does not sell the tires I bought. Thus I bought those tires from Tire Rack and had them shipped directly to the shop. After installation, he said to me, "You've got some really great tires on that Vette."

Thanks again everyone for all the input and advice.
I always noticed the tire noise MORE with the top up.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Phred2
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, much appreciated. I've been doing the same soul searching ~ it didn't help that these A/S3+ZP are too new for decent feedback with Tire Rack.
2010 Coupe
Old 04-21-2017, 05:30 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Same tires I put on!
Old 04-23-2017, 01:20 AM
45gunner
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Out for another spin today and found the noise levels to be appreciatively lower that with the Goodyears. Still very impressed with the smoothness and handling of these new tires. Forecast for tomorrow is for periods of heavy rain and I hope to get out and test the traction. The Goodyears were starting to feel like they were hydroplaning at lower speeds than they should have. Stay tuned.

Last edited by 45gunner; 04-23-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:46 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You made the right choice.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Goodyear runflats stink, the hankook evo 12 tires were better , then I put the Michelin non runflats tires on my new 19/20 inch rims about a year ago...the best ride and handling tire...

Extra money well spent...michilins for me in the future for my corvettes..

Bought new ....now I have 107k miles...I've been through many many sets of tires...on this car....about every 20k miles...
Old 04-24-2017, 12:38 AM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 456 Likes on 322 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I put a new set of Conti A/S DWS06 on but I live in the PNW where temps are much cooler on average than Florida. I was looking for a highly rated tire for wet/dry, ride and noise, plus good tread wear.I would have bought the Pirelli's but they showed limited sizes. The Conti's had a 50K mileage warranty which was the best I saw. Because the tires on a vette are staggered the warranty was only for the fronts I believe, and I probably will buy new before they get near that. I'M very happy with them after a 3500 mile trip.

Here's a good comparison for A/S between the tires if anyone else is interested. All of them are good tires. I don't drive my car in the snow or ice, just the cooler weather is a factor and A/S are known for longer tread life. You have to remember none of the tests I have seen is on a Corvette and thus wider tires and aggressive performance.
Scroll down to see the video.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Contact+DWS+06

Last edited by NOWUCME; 04-24-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:16 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
Same tires I put on!
Really nice white vert!! The red interior sets it off perfectly!!

Get notified of new replies

To New tires on c6 convertible

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New tires on c6 convertible