C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed plugs and wires today

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:30 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Changed plugs and wires today

Just bought a 2006 coupe with 95k on it a few weeks ago.
The car had been so well maintain by the original owner and looked like a new car that I couldn't pass it up. I checked the plugs and they looked very good but I could tell they were the original plugs because of the number on the plug (985) so I ordered new oem plugs and wires on ebay
(Great price) and proceeded to get into it today.
First, if I ever meet the guy who decided to route the fuel line through the covers, I will beat the crap out of him.
Next I cleaned the area under the covers with simple green (yesterday) and that made things a little easier to work around.
I pulled all the wires off (no small feet) then removed the plugs,, which was a lot easier than I expected. (My old "84" was a lot harder.)
Amazingly the old plugs were in great shape and even the gap was correct.
Checked the gap on the new plugs and they were all also correct.
Put the new plugs in and torqued them to 11 ftp or 171 inch pounds in this case. Now came the hard part... putting the new wires on. Which I thought would be the easiest part, but was the most difficult. Not one of the wires 'CLICKED" on as they should. No matter how hard I pushed, I could not get them to click. I took the old wires and plugs and tried them in hand, and they clicked. Went back to the car and tried again,, no click.
I'm 75 but still have pretty strong hands, but couldn't get them to click.
Started the car and had a very rough idle so i knew one or more of the wires were not seated properly. What a pain in the ***. Pulled all the wires off and started over again. This time I could feel/ hear some of the wires click on, but there were still some that didn't. I started the car again and this time it was very smooth at idle. So i put the covers back on (with a little mod to the one on the left side) and took her out for a run. She was very smooth and seemed to exccelerate much faster and smoother. (Could have been the extra thick flip flops I had on) so all in all it was worth the trouble and frustration and now I wont ever have to do it again. (On this car) now if I can get the FLAT tire light to go out, (not on all the time) I'll be a happy man.
G
Old 04-24-2017, 04:45 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Putting a little dab of dielectric grease on the boots helps get them on properly and off later.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:06 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Oh you mean that little packet of grease I found at the bottom of the box the wires came in,,, after I had them on?
Old 04-24-2017, 05:21 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Putting a little dab of dielectric grease on the boots helps get them on properly and off later.
Beat me to it WB, it helps.
In fact if I ever have to do it again I will do a dry run off the car to make sure they "click" together
NSF
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by gordosoar
Oh you mean that little packet of grease I found at the bottom of the box the wires came in,,, after I had them on?
That is always how it works out, huh?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:31 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by wayback
That is always how it works out, huh?
Yep, and I thought I was doing so well. Go figure.
If I ever feel the car missing again, I will pull them all off and use the grease, I saved it. (Unlike most of the time when I throw stuff away just before I need it)
G

Get notified of new replies

To Changed plugs and wires today

Quick Reply: Changed plugs and wires today