C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:42 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

I received a fix it ticket in the Bay Area in 2010. Mine was for no front license plate on my 2000 Z28 Camaro. Basically harassment. All I had to do was install the front plate and have ticket signed off by a police officer. Later the county (Alameda) nicked me for $10 for "administrative costs". No court appearance required.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

Had the OP just asked the cop who wrote him up, what he needed to do, this thread wouldn't be necessary.

The facts have slowly filtered in, and still haven't been fully revealed. And I'm 100% certain that the entire process in what needs to be done is printed on either the front or back of the ticket. You shouldn't need it explained to you on a forum or by a cop. And the court isn't interested in what a forum member or a cop told you what to do. It's all on the ticket.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:42 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Yes in small print and a checked box.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:54 AM
10thumper
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nick14003
thats because I didn't get any useful answers...

move to another state? Yes, that was my initial thought when I got a fix-it ticket
I actually could have probably helped you. I asked a few questions but based on your post I quoted above I'm not interested any longer.

Good luck though, wish you the best.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:26 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
So you know for a "fact" that you need to appear in court? Maybe I'm off base here, but that just doesn't sound right. A "fixit" ticket is not a moving violation. It usually requires being repaired and signed off by a police officer. That's it!
well you have to go to court to pay the fine which accompanies a fix it ticket, usually around 50 dollars from what I've heard, not necessarily to see a judge, just the clerk
Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 AM
nick14003
Pro

Originally Posted by ByRiver
Had the OP just asked the cop who wrote him up, what he needed to do, this thread wouldn't be necessary.

The facts have slowly filtered in, and still haven't been fully revealed. And I'm 100% certain that the entire process in what needs to be done is printed on either the front or back of the ticket. You shouldn't need it explained to you on a forum or by a cop. And the court isn't interested in what a forum member or a cop told you what to do. It's all on the ticket.
The cops don't know the entire process, nor will they sit there on the side of the road and explain everything to you... that being said, while it does have some instructions on every slip, it doesn't say what type of "inspection" they do... Cops not going to know if the inspection station does a visual inspection for mufflers, or if they use a decibel meter to check and compare it to manufacturer specs...

and no... you can't just call a court or police station and have them tell you what to do... we're talking about the government here. it doesn't work that way. I'd have to go down physically to a court clerk to have them direct me to an inspection station, even the clerk won't know what their inspection process is, then i'd have to go to the inspection station get the car inspected, and by then it's too late, because if they open my hood i'm screwed...
Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The cops don't know the entire process, nor will they sit there on the side of the road and explain everything to you... that being said, while it does have some instructions on every slip, it doesn't say what type of "inspection" they do... Cops not going to know if the inspection station does a visual inspection for mufflers, or if they use a decibel meter to check and compare it to manufacturer specs...

and no... you can't just call a court or police station and have them tell you what to do... we're talking about the government here. it doesn't work that way. I'd have to go down physically to a court clerk to have them direct me to an inspection station, even the clerk won't know what their inspection process is, then i'd have to go to the inspection station get the car inspected, and by then it's too late, because if they open my hood i'm screwed...
I've gotten a few "fix it" tickets or Correctable Violations as they are actually called.

I've gotten tickets for tinted windows, blue LEDs and loud exhaust. You can go to any policeman and ask them to take a look at what you got the ticket for. In your case its the "loud" exhaust. Usually the policemen are pretty cool about it as long as you're polite. Try to ask them when they don't look too busy.

You should be getting a slip in the mail that tells you what to do. I remember mailing in a check with the signed off ticket. The last one I got was for $25. I'm not sure if the fines have gone up since then.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:00 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

... then i'd have to go to the inspection station get the car inspected, and by then it's too late, because if they open my hood i'm screwed
Well, I guess your 'screwed' then

good luck
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I just moved from San Francisco Bay Area, and I ride motorcycles, both sport bikes and cruiser style. I know many people who have received Fix It tickets for loud exhausts. And all they ever had to do is fix the issue, then get any available cop you can find to to verify and sign off on it. They then mail the ticket to the address that's on the ticket. They never had to go to court or go see a clerk.

I've seen the tickets, and I've seen the signed off ones. Just telling you what I have observed. I have no association with the people who put loud exhausts on their cars, but I'm sure the process is the same.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:34 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Hells
I've gotten a few "fix it" tickets or Correctable Violations as they are actually called.

I've gotten tickets for tinted windows, blue LEDs and loud exhaust. You can go to any policeman and ask them to take a look at what you got the ticket for. In your case its the "loud" exhaust. Usually the policemen are pretty cool about it as long as you're polite. Try to ask them when they don't look too busy.

You should be getting a slip in the mail that tells you what to do. I remember mailing in a check with the signed off ticket. The last one I got was for $25. I'm not sure if the fines have gone up since then.
I received a ticket at LAX for no frt plate in a off site parking lot. On the ticket I was told to mail in $25.00. They just wanted the money.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:20 PM
StrykerZ06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohshift
Snowflake cop!

Don't have to worry about these types of things in TEXAS
Old 05-04-2017, 08:22 PM
StrykerZ06
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohshift
Snowflake cop!

Don't have to worry about these types of things in TEXAS
Old 05-05-2017, 11:01 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

well you have to go to court to pay the fine which accompanies a fix it ticket, usually around 50 dollars from what I've heard, not necessarily to see a judge, just the clerk
I have never had to pay a fine on a fix it ticket.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM
nick14003
Pro

got pulled over 1 week after i got the exhaust ticket, for no front license plate... wtf is going on, luckily they let me off with a warning

Asked the cop a bit about it, he said CHP has inspection stations, LAPD Doesn't, go to one get it inspected, take inspection to clerk at court. ticket also came in mail for 25 dollars for fine, cop also told me the inspection cost money maybe 15 dollars.

+ my personal cost for a stock exhaust and hopefully I can install it myself as long as there is no welding

Last edited by nick14003; 05-18-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:22 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

got pulled over 1 week after i got the exhaust ticket, for no front license plate... wtf is going on, luckily they let me off with a warning

Asked the cop a bit about it, he said CHP has inspection stations, LAPD Doesn't, go to one get it inspected, take inspection to clerk at court. ticket also came in mail for 25 dollars for fine, cop also told me the inspection cost money maybe 15 dollars.

+ my personal cost for a stock exhaust and hopefully I can install it myself as long as there is no welding
I am aware that you have already purchased a used exhaust but If you want more "noise" you can install an NPP exhaust from a 2008 or later or a Z06/ZR1 exhaust (complete system from heads back) and have the best of both worlds. I had an 07 Z06 system on my 06

Last edited by johnodrake; 05-18-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

wtf is going on,
Your Vette's not compliant, that's what's going in, lol. I guess sometimes it's easy to forget we drive Corvettes, sometimes loud ones. People look at Vettes, other motorists, bystanders and cops. So be prepared to hear, "nice car", talk about your car, and if it's not compliant with state motor vehicle laws, expect to get pulled over by the po-po. Haters, lol

Last edited by kronix; 05-18-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Bud, I don't know what planet you arrived from, but in California we don't have state inspection stations and nobody is going under your hood on an exhaust fix it infraction. Either you aren't reading responses or you just like to stir the pot, but all you have to do is get a cop to sign off on the ticket to verify the issue has been corrected and you're good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Bud, I don't know what planet you arrived from, but in California we don't have state inspection stations...
As mentioned by the poster above, the CHP has multiple inspection facilities across the state.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The only inspection stations I know of are the Smog Inspection stations.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:31 PM
Hells
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
As mentioned by the poster above, the CHP has multiple inspection facilities across the state.
They're not really CHP inspection stations. More like CHP offices where a CHP officer can come out and inspect your vehicle if you need them to.

Quick Reply: Just got an Exhaust Ticket in Los Angeles... What now?