C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6Z06 Caliper piston seal issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 AM
enigma94
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6Z06 Caliper piston seal issue!

hey all,

I am looking to sell my C6z06 brake set I had installed on my C5z. I just remembered that I had a issue with 1 of the back calipers. when I was reverting my c5z back to stock I was bleeding the brakes and my friend didn't tell me he had removed the top bolt to one of the rear calipers. The caliper had flipped down while I was pumping the brakes so there was nothing for the pad to press against and one of the piston seals let go. Fluid was coming out through the seal. The caliper is pictured below. I am wondering if I can just re-seat the current seal or do I need to buy a whole new piston/seal kit?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

If the seal is not torn you may be able to reassemble it. There is an Eric the Car Guy video on YouTube on how to rebuild them.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Did the actual oil seal blow out? or did the piston slide out out of the inner seal and the outer dust boot came loose? The picture shows the dust boot is expanded but you cannot see if the piston is in the inner seal. If that's all it is, re-seat the piston properly within the inner seal, and with your thumb just CAREFULLY re-seat the dust boot.

I'd at least try that out before rebuilding the whole thing.

Last edited by Sox-Fan; 05-02-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:07 AM
enigma94
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
Did the actual oil seal blow out? or did the piston slide out out of the inner seal and the outer dust boot came loose? The picture shows the dust boot is expanded but you cannot see if the piston is in the inner seal. If that's all it is, re-seat the piston properly within the inner seal, and with your thumb just CAREFULLY re-seat the dust boot.

I'd at least try that out before rebuilding the whole thing.
nothing blew out other than brake fluid. the piston slid out of the inner seal and the dust boot was stretched i believe. Is there a way to properly reseat the piston to the inner seal??
Old 05-03-2017, 10:17 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

You should be able to position it with your fingers and press it in with your thumbs very carefully. Don't apply too much pressure. Make sure it's lined up right and it should slide in.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Dale002
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

In order for fluid to come out, the piston had to come out far enough to break the seal area between the piston o ring and the caliber housing. Probably will need replacement. If you don't have the piston aligned it will roll or damage the o ring and or scratch the caliper wall. I did the same thing while doing other work and had the caliper hanging. I went in the car to get my cell phone and as a habit stepped on the brake pedal.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 PM
blackvette97
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have for sale? Also where are you located? I am in MN.

Get notified of new replies

To C6Z06 Caliper piston seal issue!

Quick Reply: C6Z06 Caliper piston seal issue!