C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a $165 ZR1 style front splitter from ebay ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Anyone buy a $165 ZR1 style front splitter from ebay ?

I just made an 'impulse' purchase of an ABS plastic ZR1 style front splitter from ebay. Cost was $165 with free delivery.

I am going to install this on my 2011 GS. I have read that if your going to drive above 140 mph, it is best to install a support brace to this splitter, but that requires removal of the front bumper fascia, but, I'm not going to pull my bumper off ... I don't drive anywhere near 140 mph anyway.

Got a couple of questions for anyone who has installed one of these splitters that was purchased off of ebay:

1. I understand that it is not finished in anything. Basically just black plastic. Later I may have it hydrocarbon dipped, but for now, I will just leave it in it's original black plastic ... Or should I rattle-can paint it with something like that satin texture black rubber trim paint?

2. This splitter does not come with mounting hardware ... I guess you just use the same hardware that attached your OEM splitter?

3. Any drilling necessary on the new ZR1 splitter?

4. And lastly ... How was the fit and finish of this splitter (overall quality) ?

Thanks,
Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-13-Co...tXR6Tz&vxp=mtr

Old 05-02-2017, 11:22 AM
Knoxrower
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm curious to see how happy you are with this once installed. Can't beat that price. From the ebay listing it states no hardware is included and drilling is required. So looks like you get the part and it is up to you to figure out how to get it on the car.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:49 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
I just made an 'impulse' purchase of an ABS plastic ZR1 style front splitter from ebay. Cost was $165 with free delivery.

I am going to install this on my 2011 GS. I have read that if your going to drive above 140 mph, it is best to install a support brace to this splitter, but that requires removal of the front bumper fascia, but, I'm not going to pull my bumper off ... I don't drive anywhere near 140 mph anyway.

Got a couple of questions for anyone who has installed one of these splitters that was purchased off of ebay:

1. I understand that it is not finished in anything. Basically just black plastic. Later I may have it hydrocarbon dipped, but for now, I will just leave it in it's original black plastic ... Or should I rattle-can paint it with something like that satin texture black rubber trim paint?

2. This splitter does not come with mounting hardware ... I guess you just use the same hardware that attached your OEM splitter?

3. Any drilling necessary on the new ZR1 splitter?

4. And lastly ... How was the fit and finish of this splitter (overall quality) ?

Thanks,
Ron

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-13-Co...tXR6Tz&vxp=mtr

I bought mine from a local shop that had them for sale. The fit was very good. I did have to drill a few holes but that was no problem. The black looks very good so no painting needed. I especially like this for street driving as compared to driving on the track. I haven't bumped anything yet but I'd prefer practicing on an ABS plastic splitter that bends with a parking lot curb rather than with a splinter of expensive carbon fiber. Actually in the long run, I'll want a stiffer aero splitter for track driving. At that point I'll be adding GM's bracket # 15822871 for support at higher speeds, but this is not needed for the street.

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 05-02-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 AM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

There's a couple of us here on the forum who purchased a similar looking front splitters..... and they don't fit (not saying yours won't?). The one's we bought were advertised to fit a base? Placed mine up to a Z, and doesn't fit those either? One other guy got creative and didi some surgery and got it to fit his base, mines still sitting in the garage.
Good Luck
Please post some pic's after your install!
Mike
Old 05-02-2017, 12:02 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,951 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

here's a recent link............. another one available using search function.......... the splitters mentioned in these posts fit fine, and look great for the price............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...front-lip.html
Old 05-02-2017, 12:26 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by rkj427

here's a recent link............. another one available using search function.......... the splitters mentioned in these posts fit fine, and look great for the price............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...front-lip.html
Thanks a bunch for the link .... good reading
Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I bought the inexpensive splitter and side skirts for my base and I have been very happy. I use a little "back to black" on them and all of my exterior plastic to get a matching look without painting.
The following users liked this post:
kronix (05-03-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's a little review I did on it about 2 years ago.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-our-cars.html
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

jp tt awd .... Thanks for the link. Good review

doomi .... I may just use that 'Back to Black' instead of painting it.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:33 PM
doomi
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

jp tt awd .... Thanks for the link. Good review

doomi .... I may just use that 'Back to Black' instead of painting it.

I'd definitely try it before you try the rattle can method. It looks great and matches the existing trim well.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Not So Fast ....

If you read this ... I sent you a PM

Ron,
Old 05-02-2017, 06:00 PM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

There is a newer polyurethane version available on Fleabay for the same price. I ordered one a few months ago only to hit a large rock in the road a week later. I didn't notice any damage right after but about a week later there was a chunk missing out of the splitter right where the rock hit. Needless to say if this would've been a fiberglass or carbon splitter it probably would've shattered upon impact.

I figured I would give this polyurethane splitter another try and ordered a replacement from the same vendor. It feels more durable and flexible than the ABS plastic one I installed on a buddies car a few years ago. It also fits better, the ABS plastic one is too long at the ends and pushes the gurney flaps back a bit. Well hopefully I don't hit any boulders in the road with this replacement and I can report on its durability later on.

Here are a few pics on its fitment. I left it unpainted and although its not as glossy as my gloss black side skirts it isn't to far off. Excuse my dirty car, it had drove thru a rain storm that weekend.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

jp tt awd ....

Do you think if only about 1/16" was ground off each end of the hard plastic splitter, that would maybe be enough where the splitter would not push against the 'gurney' flaps?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Not So Fast ....

If you read this ... I sent you a PM

Ron,
Ron: In order
1. It has held up just fine, been 135 mph, looks same as new
2. no paint, liked the black finish for my car.
3. jack up the front, much easier access
Old one has 8 screws as I remember, easy removal
Use the same OEM attaching screws and clip nuts already in bumper, have to buy longer ones to use the little stability "tubes" I improvised in the air duct.
4. Helps to have another set of hands to hold it in place while marking for the original placement for the screws.
5. I had to trim one side a little so that it fit around the little front splash guard, just the top of it, looks pretty OEM.
Just take you time, you'll be fine
It does scrape on drive ways I didn't before because it protrudes out a little further, scratched the bottom up, no biggie.
For me the idea of spending whatever the "best splitters" cost didn't make sense for such a vulnerable piece.
Don't regret it one iota Any other questions just ask
Good luck
NSF

The following 2 users liked this post by Not So Fast:
Jaime-Corvette (06-11-2017), Turbo6TA (05-07-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Not So Fast ...

Thanks a bunch for all the info and the great photos.

BTW, I am removing my RPI ZR1 style painted rear spoiler because of dimples that have formed on it ... I ordered a new ABS plastic ZR1 style rear spoiler from this same ebay seller that I just purchased the splitter from.

I had the spoiler sent directly to the company that is going to apply a 'hydrocarbon' finish on it (free shipping from the ebay vendor) ... I will post photos of the completed spoiler when I get it from the hydrocarbon folks.

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-02-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Not So Fast ...

Thanks a bunch for all the info and the great photos.

BTW, I am removing my RPI ZR1 style painted rear spoiler because of dimples that have formed on it ... I ordered a new ABS plastic ZR1 style rear spoiler from this same ebay seller that I just purchased the splitter from.

I had the spoiler sent directly to the company that is going to apply a 'hydrocarbon' finish on it (free shipping from the ebay vendor) ... I will post photos of the completed spoiler when I get it from the hydrocarbon folks.

oh cool, I had asked them when they might have the rear one done a while back, so let me know OK. Its on my list
Bobby
Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 AM
jp_tt_awd
Burning Brakes

jp tt awd ....

Do you think if only about 1/16" was ground off each end of the hard plastic splitter, that would maybe be enough where the splitter would not push against the 'gurney' flaps?
I'm not exactly sure how much you would need to take off, but yes I have seen a few do that. It's one of those things that isn't too noticeable unless you know about it or looking for it, especially since its so down low.

-jp

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone buy a $165 ZR1 style front splitter from ebay ?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM
grboggs
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

One more happy ebay splitter owner!!
Attached Images  
Turbo6TA (05-07-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

And here is the matching $170 ZR1 style ABS plastic rear spoiler made by the same company that makes the $165 splitter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-05-13-Co...-/322189456160
Old 05-03-2017, 10:28 AM
_Wayne_
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

eBay splitter here as well! Replaced my carbon fiber one that shattered on the highway. Very pleased with this one.
Turbo6TA (05-07-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a $165 ZR1 style front splitter from ebay ?