C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Front License Plate Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by airforcex
Am I the only one willing to pay a small annual fee ($15) to not have to deal with this?
Paying a fee to whom?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
C7COPB8
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate the look of a front plate so I too take my chances. I got pulled over last summer by a WA State Trooper for "excessive speed" in my '14 Z51. He read my plate (C7COPB8), laughed and let me go w/o a ticket for speeding or front plate. Now with my '17 Z06 I can't wait for the next
"pull over".
Attached Images  

Last edited by C7COPB8; 05-18-2017 at 12:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by C7COPB8:
B177YB0B (06-01-2017), tomray (05-22-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Oh, so you're saying they're there for a reason....kinda like a front plate?
Very good, except the side mirrors are there for your safety and the front plate is there for the cop's convenience.
The following users liked this post:
B177YB0B (06-01-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:43 PM
monoloco
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by usr5000
You guys should get a removable bracket by Top Flight

Thats what I did after an $80 ticket in Portland, Or.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:23 PM
LTVN68
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
not drilling into my bumper for a plate, sorry.

had my c6 since 2014, not one word about it in california. i hate the front plate, throws the whole car off for me
I took my Hawaii front plate and trimmed it horizontally to allow it to fit into the grill opening. I then glued a couple of spacers to the back of the plate to cause it to stand off an inch or two from the face of the grill to keep air flow. Then drilled a small hole in each end of license plate and used wire ties to tie it to the grill. Looks great. Deep set and out of the way. Can remove easily if necessary by cutting wire ties. And finally, cost about 10 minutes and two wire ties.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM
cessna10
cesssna10
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stoessjc
After nine years, it finally happened. I got a ticket for not having a front license plate. Corvette was parked in a metro train lot. I got to the car about two minutes after the ticket was written. Flagged down the metro cops and told them I had the license plate in my trunk, knowing that they cannot rescind the ticket once written. $10 fine if I put the plate on and get it signed off by a police officer.

BS but nothing I can do about it.
Yes there is, get out of california
Old 05-23-2017, 06:20 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Found this on YouTube:

Old 05-21-2018, 07:22 PM
STB2
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Texas license plates

Originally Posted by Doghouse Doug
The fine is $200.00 here in Texas.I only bought my C6 last month,I still have the temporary dealer tag that's good through the end of this month.I've been followed by local LEO three times already{Fredericksburg} so I've decided spending the money on a front bracket and color matching plate frame from Top Flight Reproductions is better than paying the state.Although a license plate spoils the look, it's just an open invitation to pull you over if a cop chooses to do so. Some one let me know if there is petition to sign to change to single plates in Texas.At at least an exemption for Corvettes,wouldn't you agree?
When you get temporary paper plate from the State of Texas, such as when you buy a new car, Texas only gives you one and you are instructed to put it on the rear of the car. Yet, Texas law says you have to have one on the front of the car when the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (County Tax Office) only gives one paper plate to you. So, if you get a ticket in Texas for no front metal plate, argue to the Court that Texas waived the requirement since the State only gives one paper plate and the rules should be the same whether paper or metal plates. Good luck. BTW, the reason the cops were following your Vette is they were running your plates to see if it was stolen: auto plate reader in LEO patrol unit. I appreciate them doing that and give them a thumbs up. LEOs love to seize stolen or drug running Vettes since they may end up owning them under asset seizure law.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:41 PM
pagosawingnut
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 93 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

My car already had the front plate mount installed. It doesn't bother me and I can't see it while driving.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I'm surprised you made it nine years in California - you wouldn't last nine hours in my area - have always run a front plate as I don't need them pulling me over and looking for other reasons to give me a ticket.

After nine years, it finally happened. I got a ticket for not having a front license plate. Corvette was parked in a metro train lot. I got to the car about two minutes after the ticket was written. Flagged down the metro cops and told them I had the license plate in my trunk, knowing that they cannot rescind the ticket once written. $10 fine if I put the plate on and get it signed off by a police officer.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Very good, except the side mirrors are there for your safety and the front plate is there for the cop's convenience.
Do you remember when cars (mostly low-end) didn't have side mirrors unless ordered as an option, or aftermarket? And back then, most were only on the driver's side?

My "fully-optioned" (radio, auto, brakes, steering) '63 Cutlass only had one for the driver:

Old 05-22-2018, 10:33 AM
CHEV AGAIN
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CadVette
That plate holder is illegal here in Texas. Too much of the plate surround is covering the edges of the the lettering on the plate. If you give a cop a hard time you can get a ticket for it. Our plates have bar codes on them and if the plate surround is covering any of it a fine can be had even if you have a front licence plate installed.
Sto n Sho license bracket. Comes off in 5 seconds and no visible bracket left behind.
Very easy to take off and re-install
Old 05-22-2018, 11:50 AM
iw172
Drifting

Location: Retired early,everyday is Saturday...Hocking Hills Ohio
Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

you’d think if they’re so important you’d have 2 temporary tags issued and motorcycles would require a front tag too. 12 yrs of not running a front tag on my C6 and not planning on adding one, ever....
Old 05-22-2018, 11:55 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEV AGAIN

Sto n Sho license bracket. Comes off in 5 seconds and no visible bracket left behind.
Very easy to take off and re-install
This is illegal in Texas.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

You can get a no drill plate holder that wont scratch your car from ZIPS Corvette and its removable.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788

Guys, it was meant with humor... sorry if i missed the mark.. for the record I live in Florida but work is Texas, so the car and yes my license are from Florida.. the car like myself goes back and forth.. now can't wait to explain the murdered our tail lights to the Plano police, my experience is they are not the most forgiving group.. the cops in Texas are much to serious as compared to the local Florida guys...
do you think maybe it is not their attitude, but your Fl plates and license?

Out of state cars, in almost every state, catch the eye of troopers, for a lot of reasons. Some cops will let a local plate car slide a little. Many realize it is not a good idea to hassle the locals. Out-of-staters are easy pickin's...
Old 05-23-2018, 01:12 AM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks stoessjc for your post. I learned something. Dumb me didn't realize that you can be ticketed for no front plate while your car is parked and unoccupied. I'm guessing that they won't or can't cite you in a private parking lot.

I'm alert to your experience because I'm also in California. I installed a Top Flite bracket about 5 years ago. It works fine, but I left the plate in the back storage hole after about 6 months because car looks better w/o front plate and I saw many other cars on the road w/o front plates. I guess, like others, I've been lucky so far.

Get notified of new replies

To No Front License Plate Ticket

Old 05-23-2018, 01:20 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by 235265283...
Thanks stoessjc for your post. I learned something. Dumb me didn't realize that you can be ticketed for no front plate while your car is parked and unoccupied. I'm guessing that they won't or can't cite you in a private parking lot.

I'm alert to your experience because I'm also in California. I installed a Top Flite bracket about 5 years ago. It works fine, but I left the plate in the back storage hole after about 6 months because car looks better w/o front plate and I saw many other cars on the road w/o front plates. I guess, like others, I've been lucky so far.
Wow, I can't believe they're tougher there than here in NYS. Last I knew, not having a front plate (and other similar things) in NY was not a "moving violation" and not ticketable when parked.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:36 PM
Gbrad
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by topper7788

Guys, it was meant with humor... sorry if i missed the mark.. for the record I live in Florida but work is Texas, so the car and yes my license are from Florida.. the car like myself goes back and forth.. now can't wait to explain the murdered our tail lights to the Plano police, my experience is they are not the most forgiving group.. the cops in Texas are much to serious as compared to the local Florida guys...

I live in Gunter, but my business is in Plano. I used to live in Plano.

You are correct about the cops in Plano. I just put a front tag on my vette after years of never running one on any of my "fun" cars. I just want to avoid the hassle of being pulled over.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:33 AM
smd001
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 59 Posts

First thing I did was have the plate removed and the bumper repaired and painted when I bought mine this past Feb. The front plate bothers me and IMO ruins the look. Guess I am willing to pay the fine if I get stopped.

Which will now happen because I commented in this thread and jinxed myself.

Quick Reply: No Front License Plate Ticket