C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air filter oiled or synthetic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Cold air filter oiled or synthetic?

Which type of filter is best, oiled or synthetic.?
Old 05-13-2017, 11:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

That, right there, is a what I call a trick question.

Too many variables. LS2? LS3? comes to mind, as a first question, since your profile lists a C5, so we can't tell what MY your C6 is.

More info about engine, and what you want to do, as well as what your everyday driving conditions are.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:23 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by gordosoar
Which type of filter is best, oiled or synthetic.?
One of the most common things I have heard about the oiled filers like a K&N is the risk of wrecking your Mass Airflow sensor since they can give of a fine oil mist that coats and wrecks the MAF sensors. I wouldn't install one if you gave it to me for free but that's just my opinion.

Last edited by Icecap; 05-14-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:10 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,015 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Double edge sword,

The stock air filter will give you the best filtration for the system, and does not choke the stock motor at all.

As you move in to filters that will allow more air flow (gives more than the motor needs, so not gaining anything with it), then you are giving up filtration.

With oil filters, the oil is part of the filtration process. The down side, if the filter is over oiled, then this oil makes it to the MAF sensor to foul it out instead. If the filter is not oil enough, then you end up with more crap in the engine since the air is not being filtered correctly instead.

Lastly and this becomes a huge problem with some after market filter systems, it causes turbulence of the air across the MAF, can cause problems as well.

So to sum it up, a true cold air intake system is good, since it prevents the motor from drawing in hot air to cause a timing retard. Hence although the motor is already getting all the air it needs with the stock system, it still drawing in hot air from the OEM system.
The bad part of some of the CAI systems, they can cause major turbulence of air across the MAF, and tuning is required to adjust the for such instead.

So to be blunt, system like the K&N is just a lose/lose instead. Your still drawing in hot air from the engine bay, and since the filter does not filter as well as the stock filter that is already drawing more than enough air into the system, all your doing is drawing more crap into the motor instead. Throw in the over oiling problem to foul the Maf sensor quickly, and just enough nail in the coffin.

As for a Great CAI, that would be the Vararam system, but its not without it faults. The problem with it, it draws the air in from low in the nose of the car, and all it take is a deep enough water puddle to draw water into the intake to hydro lock/destroy the motor instead.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dano523:
gordosoar (05-14-2017), High Altitude Vette (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 11:31 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by owc6
That, right there, is a what I call a trick question.

Too many variables. LS2? LS3? comes to mind, as a first question, since your profile lists a C5, so we can't tell what MY your C6 is.

More info about engine, and what you want to do, as well as what your everyday driving conditions are.
Originally Posted by Icecap
One of the most common things I have heard about the oiled filers like a K&N is the risk of wrecking your Mass Airflow sensor since they can give of a fine oil mist that coats and wrecks the MAF sensors. I wouldn't install one if you gave it to me for free but that's just my opinion.
Sorry I wasn't more specific about my car and the type of driving I do,,,
It didn't accur to me at the time that it would make a big difference.
So now here's the story,, I'm 75 years old, I don't push my 2006 base coupe,, never had it over 70 mph or 3k rpm,, it has 95 k miles on it but is in like new condition,, I don't race from light to light.
So given this, which type of filter would be the best choice for an old man that drives it like he didn't steal it. ?
Old 05-14-2017, 11:36 AM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by Dano523
Double edge sword,

The stock air filter will give you the best filtration for the system, and does not choke the stock motor at all.

As you move in to filters that will allow more air flow (gives more than the motor needs, so not gaining anything with it), then you are giving up filtration.

With oil filters, the oil is part of the filtration process. The down side, if the filter is over oiled, then this oil makes it to the MAF sensor to foul it out instead. If the filter is not oil enough, then you end up with more crap in the engine since the air is not being filtered correctly instead.

Lastly and this becomes a huge problem with some after market filter systems, it causes turbulence of the air across the MAF, can cause problems as well.

So to sum it up, a true cold air intake system is good, since it prevents the motor from drawing in hot air to cause a timing retard. Hence although the motor is already getting all the air it needs with the stock system, it still drawing in hot air from the OEM system.
The bad part of some of the CAI systems, they can cause major turbulence of air across the MAF, and tuning is required to adjust the for such instead.

So to be blunt, system like the K&N is just a lose/lose instead. Your still drawing in hot air from the engine bay, and since the filter does not filter as well as the stock filter that is already drawing more than enough air into the system, all your doing is drawing more crap into the motor instead. Throw in the over oiling problem to foul the Maf sensor quickly, and just enough nail in the coffin.

As for a Great CAI, that would be the Vararam system, but its not without it faults. The problem with it, it draws the air in from low in the nose of the car, and all it take is a deep enough water puddle to draw water into the intake to hydro lock/destroy the motor instead.
Now this is the kind of comprehensive answer I was looking for.
Take an example from this.
Thank you.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:42 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

buy a stock ZR1 filter and you will be good to go.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:31 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,663 Likes on 1,696 Posts

For the kind of driving you do, just stick with the OEM system.

I've put multiple hundreds of thousands of miles on oiled K&N systems with never an issue. In my experience, most people tend to over oil and over maintain oiled filters.

The last system I bought, I went with a synthetic filter. I will probably add a synthetic drop in when it's time for a filter for my GS.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:14 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,085 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a 2011 GS (A6) that I bought new.

One of the first things I did was to remove the OEM air intake housing and filter. I replaced it with an Airaid air intake filter. The one I used was the filter that does not require oil (just wash and dry)

Here is what the Airaid looked like:

The problem was ... that it never idled as smoothly as it did with the OEM air intake housing and filter.

Well, after about 4 years using the Airaid, I installed a Z06 air intake housing and filter. It is the same as the standard LS3 intake, but it does not have the large air silencer box on it that the LS3 intake housing has ... The idle quality has now improved.

Here is what the Z06 air intake housing looks like:

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 05-14-2017 at 01:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turbo6TA:
gordosoar (05-14-2017), High Altitude Vette (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:21 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by ls1121
buy a stock ZR1 filter and you will be good to go.
Is that a drop in filter or a whole different intake assembly. ?
Old 05-14-2017, 01:39 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

I cannot see how a ZR1 filter element is going to do anything at all for your LS3 engine performance.

Your LS3 filter element is exactly the same P/N as the filter element in the Z06 / LS7.

If that filter will flow enough air to support the LS7's 505 HP, it will certainly support the 436 HP of an LS3.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by gordosoar

Is that a drop-in filter or a whole different intake assembly. ?
The LS9 / ZR1 filter element is a drop-in filter element on the LS3 engine.

Again, it won't give you anything your LS3 element is already giving you.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:55 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The LS9 / ZR1 filter element is a drop-in filter element on the LS3 engine.

Again, it won't give you anything your LS3 element is already giving you.
It gives a BETTER air flow, less restrictive that is why it was made for the most powerful air sucking machine you can get in an Corvette C6.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:13 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Originally Posted by ls1121

It gives a BETTER air flow, less restrictive that is why it was made for the most powerful air sucking machine you can get in an Corvette C6.
Ok ....
Old 05-14-2017, 03:17 PM
owc6
Team Owner

People, the OP has an LS2, which has a restrictive box filter, which is why I asked the questions I did.

Putting on an after-market filter makes a huge difference. I put a Blackwing "CAI" filter on, but if I was to do it over, I would find one that wasn't oiled.

For both the LS3 and LS7 (virtually identical filters, as Turbo said), the after-market option is going to net you very little, IMO.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:39 PM
gordosoar
Racer

As for a Great CAI, that would be the Vararam system, but its not without it faults. The problem with it, it draws the air in from low in the nose of the car, and all it take is a deep enough water puddle to draw water into the intake to hydro lock/destroy the motor instead.[/QUOTE]

I looked it up and I like what I see,, but would the intake suck up water if it was only raining?
Old 05-14-2017, 04:49 PM
owc6
Team Owner

The C6 isn't a "bottom feeder" like the C5 is, so the likelyhood of the car ingesting enough water to cause a problem isn't great, unless you are driving through enough water to create a pretty big wake.

And even less with a CAI type filter compared to the stock LS2 box filter.

Last edited by owc6; 05-14-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air filter oiled or synthetic?

Old 05-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

"So now here's the story. I'm 75 years old. I don't push my 2006 base coupe ,, never had it over 70 mph or 3k rpm ,, it has 95 k miles on it but is in like new condition ,, I don't race from light to light.

So given this, which type of filter would be the best choice for an old man that drives it like he didn't steal it" ?

My suggestion ... Forget the filter ... Leave the car alone
Old 05-14-2017, 07:41 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
"So now here's the story. I'm 75 years old. I don't push my 2006 base coupe ,, never had it over 70 mph or 3k rpm ,, it has 95 k miles on it but is in like new condition ,, I don't race from light to light.

So given this, which type of filter would be the best choice for an old man that drives it like he didn't steal it" ?

My suggestion ... Forget the filter ... Leave the car alone
I agree. From what I read and hear,, the up graded filter systems don't really do much more than the stock system unless you are at high speed/rpm. On the low end of the curve they are almost the same.
Still,,,, I might get the Vararam system just for the hell of it.
Too much money, not enough toys.
Don't ask for any of it either.

Last edited by gordosoar; 05-14-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Oakie Dokie ....

Quick Reply: Cold air filter oiled or synthetic?