C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:16 AM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
I always feel like I don't want to wash my cars, because it's a pain and it's always hot out. I use the leave-it-out-in-a-torrential-rainstorm method. No scratches.
Best reply yet. That is exactly how I wash my truck!!!
Old 05-19-2017, 11:32 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I found that those gel silicone squeegees were worthless many years ago, threw mine away. But maybe that was just me, but one spec of sand, dirt etc. will cause a lot of damage
NSF
I have been using them for years and have not scratched my vehicles at all. If you wash them correctly and all you are removing is water they are a big help.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

A little off-topic but still relevant, my black truck was covered in pollen and we had a light shower, the pollen and light rain made the car look like yellow polka dots. I hosed it off when it was cool and let it air dry, it came out horrible, white water spots everywhere. I wiped a little off but then left it. Two days later we had an all day rain, next day I went out and the truck looked like it went through the car wash, spotless! I guess the rain water has a different make-up then hose water. My Brother in Law has been saying for years he always washes his car before a heavy rain and lets the rain rinse it off, I might be trying that!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:40 AM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
This can only be done so many times before you have no clear coat left. Not very efficient; best method is to correct it once, then stop doing what was causing the scratches to begin with.
Well I didn't mean wash it in such a manner than would induce scratches. I use ONR and a 2 bucket method.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 AM
Midnight08
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I have always tried to use rain for washing a vehicle if rain and the need for a full wash was inline. For some areas, it is about the best rinse water you can get without a good filter system to strip water of minerals, etc.

I love that it keeps things nice a wet and along with two buckets, it really minimizes the risk of loose debris giving you grief as you try to remove it.

With three black vehicles, I do what I can to simplify maintenance and minimize the risks that can damage the surface, whether it's the clear coat, a wax, sealant, or coating.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
After washing my car, I got real tired of all the work removing all the water on the car when I was finished.

Now I blow all the water off with my gas powered leaf blower. And I can tell you that it does a great job too (even blows all the water out around the wheel lug nuts).

After that, there is very very little water that needs to be removed by hand.

BTW ... My gas powered leaf blower don't spit oil on the car's finish either ... at least not that I can see.
This is a perfectly good way to do it. No need to buy that Master Blaster that Wayne the dick Carini pushes. Finish up with the Meguiar's waffle microfiber towel and you're done. A few light swirls here and there shouldn't drive you crazy.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
A few light swirls here and there shouldn't drive you crazy.
After a car is already polished, there should not be any more swirls. If you're making more swirls, you're not doing it right.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:30 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
This is a perfectly good way to do it. No need to buy that Master Blaster that Wayne the dick Carini pushes. Finish up with the Meguiar's waffle microfiber towel and you're done. A few light swirls here and there shouldn't drive you crazy.
I used to do this on my bike but over on the Harley forum they mentioned that a leaf blower picks up surrounding air including dust, any dirt or other debris floating in the air and spits it out the nozzle at high speed, possibly causing damage. Kinda makes sense...the Master Blaster heats and filters the air, keeping it cleaner. And BTW, why do you call Wayne Carini a dick, from everything I've read about him he seems like a decent guy, very family oriented...just wondering!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:15 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
After washing my car, I got real tired of all the work removing all the water on the car when I was finished.

Now I blow all the water off with my gas powered leaf blower. And I can tell you that it does a great job too (even blows all the water out around the wheel lug nuts).

After that, there is very very little water that needs to be removed by hand.

BTW ... My gas powered leaf blower don't spit oil on the car's finish either ... at least not that I can see.

Do same thing here, one of my buddy's came by one day and saw me doing this and was laughing UNTIL he saw how easy it was. He was asking about his Son and daughters Jeeps getting water spots

I prefer Stihl brand of backpack blowers if that matters

I just go throug a lot of MF wash towels and I never use a previously used one on my Vette . Keep them for our other cars or use them on wheels or interior stuff. I do have some of the MF restorer for washing them

I used to use Mequires Black but switched over to Pinnacle since my car is not a DD and MAN it really pops. Does not last as long but I honestly enjoy detailing my Vette when I have time to really do it.

I am not above taking it through the brushless car wash near my house to knock dust off when I am in a hurry .
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM
Z0SIS
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLo
I used to do this on my bike but over on the Harley forum they mentioned that a leaf blower picks up surrounding air including dust, any dirt or other debris floating in the air and spits it out the nozzle at high speed, possibly causing damage. Kinda makes sense...the Master Blaster heats and filters the air, keeping it cleaner. And BTW, why do you call Wayne Carini a dick, from everything I've read about him he seems like a decent guy, very family oriented...just wondering!
I've been using a leaf blower AND a california water blade for many years with no ill effects. I used to be into boutique detailing products but found with the right technique you can do wonders with very average tools. My 12 year old Porter Cable, harbor freight pads and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound are my work horses and I'm able to achieve fantastic results. I really don't need a Rupes polisher with overpriced pads and product. I'm not saying those high end products don't work, but I am of the opinion that if you're good, you're good; high end stuff is not necessary.

RE: WC, I'd rather not get into it. FWIW, I do not have *personal* experience with him.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:25 PM
Cauhauna
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

good waterless tips in here, thanks.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by black2007c6
Anyone else ever feel like they almost don't want to wash the car because they're afraid of scratches and imperfections?

i use the 2 bucket method. I also use the foam blaster for minimized touching. I don't dry with a microfiber towel I usually use a rubber squeegee made for quick drying. But I always see scratches here and there, albeit light.

makes me so frustrated! especially on a black car.

edit: by squeegee I mean like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCH4WZE..._1TigzbRRHRFEG
no, mine is a daily driver, it gets washed at the local car wash just like many others. I still get complements on it regularly, after over 80k miles and 6 years
Old 05-27-2017, 03:04 PM
SladeX
Melting Slicks

Received 833 Likes on 607 Posts

I got fed up with swirls this spring. I have a 400, 1200, 2500, 3500, 4000 and polylock kit for swirls. You do this maybe once every few years, not every year. Lemans Blue is just as bad as black when it comes to swirls and showing dirt. I drive it a lot, but I keep it garaged most of the time.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:37 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Your squeegee is very likely part of your problem. With a microfiber towel, the fibers at least have a chance of capturing and lifting dirt and abrasives up and away from the paint. With your squeegee, you're just dragging every single missed particle and grinding it into your paint.

Microfiber towels are better than a squeegee. Air compressor is better than microfiber.
That's exactly where the scratches are coming from. Squeegee, is not soft like MF towels . Not very
Old 05-27-2017, 09:14 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
have any of you that get hung up over such things ever experienced any real adversity, hardship, or sorrow in your life? While i like my stuff to stay nice, i'm sure glad my priorities have been straightened out for me due to bigger occasions presenting themselves that really actually matter.
nothing matters!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Corvette Forum Editor
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 145 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Front page coverage

Figured the front page crowd would be interested too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...hing-corvette/
Old 06-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Silverwolf_pup
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ben z
I always feel like I don't want to wash my cars, because it's a pain and it's always hot out. I use the leave-it-out-in-a-torrential-rainstorm method. No scratches.
I love keeping my babies clean, and I wash it early morning to avoid the sun shining on it, i will not wash my car in the direct sunlight that's a no no.

Get notified of new replies

To Washing the car

Old 06-12-2017, 11:08 PM
C6 Snowboarder
Race Director

Received 684 Likes on 372 Posts

Regarding buckets to wash your lovely Corvette.... My rule is if you wont drink the water you use to wash your baby It does not belong on your Corvette Clear Coat!

Fresh water from the hose... Buckets are for beer and ice.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:38 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

One thing that will eliminate a lot of swirls regardless of whether or not you use water or not is the way you wipe your car. Never wipe in circles when washing or drying - always wipe back and forth in a straight line and make sure every time you wash, you always wash/dry in the same direction.

For instance, when doing the sides, top, and hood, I always wipe in the direction of the front and back of the car. For the front and back bumpers, I always wipe from one side to the other.

The reason for doing so is simple, by wiping in circles, you are dragging contaminants and abrasives in circles - these can be a bitch to remove/fix. If your scratches are in a straight line, it is MUCH easier to fix them. The only time you should go in circles is when you have finally gotten the paint clean and free of contaminants (hello clay bar) and it is time to wax and buff. This allows the wax to fill in any micro-scratches in the clear coat and reduces the appearance of scratches and swirling.

Last edited by drew_c6; 06-13-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:27 PM
WhoIsPat
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

There are a lot of ways to clean your car, to me, I see three things that have to be in balance: time/effort, money, and results. I am willing to spend a lot more time than most people because I enjoy it, I am willing to spend slightly more money than an average person, but my budget is finite so I spend less than the most serious enthusiasts, and I seek far above average results, but not Concours d'Elegance perfection.

Constructive conversation on the topic is hard here because everyone has a different formula for effort, investment, and results. I like the forums at both Autogeek and Autopia for car care related topics because people are more inclined to share the 'how' and 'why' of a technique or product, and they are less inclined to chime in just to agree or disagree on personal feelings. Good luck keeping your car looking great!

Quick Reply: Washing the car