C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washing the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 12:52 PM
black2007c6
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Washing the car

Anyone else ever feel like they almost don't want to wash the car because they're afraid of scratches and imperfections?

i use the 2 bucket method. I also use the foam blaster for minimized touching. I don't dry with a microfiber towel I usually use a rubber squeegee made for quick drying. But I always see scratches here and there, albeit light.

makes me so frustrated! especially on a black car.

edit: by squeegee I mean like this:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by black2007c6; 05-14-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:07 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Since I'm not the world's best detailer, I don't get all hung up over minor scratches caused by washing.

I also use a 2 bucket method, with dedicated wash equipment for the Corvette, but I use a MetroVac to blow most of the water off, then follow up with spot drying with a waffle weave microfibre drying towel.

Steven
Old 05-14-2017, 01:15 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Your problem is the color black. My last vette was black and I went through the exact frustration as you. I sold it with only 5900 miles because I couldn't take it. It always looked dirty and scratched no matter what I tried. I finally fixed the problem by buying a silver GS. No more scratches and always looks clean.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:32 PM
black2007c6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by door2416
Your problem is the color black. My last vette was black and I went through the exact frustration as you. I sold it with only 5900 miles because I couldn't take it. It always looked dirty and scratched no matter what I tried. I finally fixed the problem by buying a silver GS. No more scratches and always looks clean.
i hear you. I had a silver mustang (maybe I shouldn't admit that around here) that was always clean and looking good. To add to it, I have a black Cadillac as well. Double trouble.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:34 PM
gordosoar
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Have a pro do a paint correction followed by a Crystal Serum coating and never have to worry about scratchs again.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:45 PM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I always feel like I don't want to wash my cars, because it's a pain and it's always hot out. I use the leave-it-out-in-a-torrential-rainstorm method. No scratches.
The following 2 users liked this post by ben z:
Cauhauna (05-25-2017), Spasetrucker (06-14-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I have always had black cars and love them. I had my car professionally detailed with pain correction over a year ago. The detailer sometimes details with Mike Phillips (Autogeek). He told me to use (Blackfire) waterless wash as a wash and detail spray. My Vette only gets dusty in the garage. It is not driven in the rain. The waterless wash has more lubricity than water. You fold a microfiber cloth into quarters and use a quarter at a time for each panel. Do not use circular strokes as I only use horizontal on the side panels. No swirls. I do this once a week and it takes 20 minutes for the entire car. Once every month or 2 , I use Blackfire crystal seal. This takes 15 minutes. No hard rubbing and has an amazing shine.
The following users liked this post:
Cauhauna (05-25-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 06:49 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I can not remember the last time I washed the C6, maybe two summers back or three after a long 1200 road trip. Otherwise just a wipe down with Sonus detailer and maybe a follow up with the Glanz. Klasse sealant works great.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Have any of you that get hung up over such things ever experienced any real adversity, hardship, or sorrow in your life? While I like my stuff to stay nice, I'm sure glad my priorities have been straightened out for me due to bigger occasions presenting themselves that really actually matter.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Reason #47 not to own a black car (for me). Nothing better than a car that looks dirty 6 hours after you hand wash it.....
Old 05-14-2017, 07:00 PM
OldCorvetteFan
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Have any of you that get hung up over such things ever experienced any real adversity, hardship, or sorrow in your life? While I like my stuff to stay nice, I'm sure glad my priorities have been straightened out for me due to bigger occasions presenting themselves that really actually matter.
Actually, yes, I have. I had a double bypass almost a year ago, I'm less than two years from retirement, and so I use things like 'worrying' about the care and maintenance of my Corvette as a diversion.

This has nothing to do with priorities - I put my boots on every morning, go do my job to the best of my ability, take care of my personal and financial obligations, and when adversity strikes, I handle it the best way I know how.

If this doesn't matter to you, then why on earth are you in here trying to **** in our cornflakes? Do you give this speech to people talking about football games?

Steven
The following 3 users liked this post by OldCorvetteFan:
Cauhauna (05-25-2017), dhpeck (05-19-2017), MarkB3 (06-12-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 07:18 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by black2007c6
Anyone else ever feel like they almost don't want to wash the car because they're afraid of scratches and imperfections?
This is why I commented. He asked the question, and I answered how I felt inclined to. I'm not saying it's fine to just not care about anything else if you've had bigger things happen in life, but I've read all too often on here about minutiae like this. Scratches, dirt, water, spots, etc., etc., etc... Like so many others have eluded; Just drive it!
Old 05-14-2017, 09:31 PM
dcarr
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Car washing

Originally Posted by enventr
I have always had black cars and love them. I had my car professionally detailed with pain correction over a year ago. The detailer sometimes details with Mike Phillips (Autogeek). He told me to use (Blackfire) waterless wash as a wash and detail spray. My Vette only gets dusty in the garage. It is not driven in the rain. The waterless wash has more lubricity than water. You fold a microfiber cloth into quarters and use a quarter at a time for each panel. Do not use circular strokes as I only use horizontal on the side panels. No swirls. I do this once a week and it takes 20 minutes for the entire car. Once every month or 2 , I use Blackfire crystal seal. This takes 15 minutes. No hard rubbing and has an amazing shine.
I'm going to try your method. My cars don't get dirty enough to drag out the buckets and hoses all the time. Is auto geek the best place to purchase?
Your car looks great from the picture.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:36 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr
I'm going to try your method. My cars don't get dirty enough to drag out the buckets and hoses all the time. Is auto geek the best place to purchase?
Your car looks great from the picture.

Thank you. Autogeek has many sale prices and is convenient for me.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:50 PM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by black2007c6

i use the 2 bucket method. I also use the foam blaster for minimized touching. I don't dry with a microfiber towel I usually use a rubber squeegee made for quick drying. But I always see scratches here and there, albeit light.

makes me so frustrated! especially on a black car.

edit: by squeegee I mean like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCH4WZE..._1TigzbRRHRFEG
Your squeegee is very likely part of your problem. With a microfiber towel, the fibers at least have a chance of capturing and lifting dirt and abrasives up and away from the paint. With your squeegee, you're just dragging every single missed particle and grinding it into your paint.

Microfiber towels are better than a squeegee. Air compressor is better than microfiber.
The following users liked this post:
tomray (05-22-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I found that those gel silicone squeegees were worthless many years ago, threw mine away. But maybe that was just me, but one spec of sand, dirt etc. will cause a lot of damage
NSF
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 AM
black2007c6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Your squeegee is very likely part of your problem. With a microfiber towel, the fibers at least have a chance of capturing and lifting dirt and abrasives up and away from the paint. With your squeegee, you're just dragging every single missed particle and grinding it into your paint.

Microfiber towels are better than a squeegee. Air compressor is better than microfiber.
fair enough but won't a microfiber towel cause more damage and marring of the paint because of the pressure and dragging effect?

ive also used a product from chemical guys that you spray on to wet paint when done, it dries the water up then you use microfiber towel. Anyone tried that product? It seemed to work good.

Get notified of new replies

To Washing the car

Old 05-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

This is why I commented. He asked the question, and I answered how I felt inclined to. I'm not saying it's fine to just not care about anything else if you've had bigger things happen in life, but I've read all too often on here about minutiae like this. Scratches, dirt, water, spots, etc., etc., etc... Like so many others have eluded; Just drive it!
You do with your car what you will, as it is YOUR car. That doesn't give you the right to dictate what others should or should not do with their own. Everyone's priorities and reason for ownership are different.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corvette_Ed:
Carvin (05-15-2017), Travlee (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,884 Likes on 792 Posts

Ah....the pleasures of having a WHITE Corvette....doesn't show a thing!

Old 05-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Well considering this is a Corvette general discussion forum just what do you expect for general discussion threads.

In reality any social media involvement is really the same.

Just a way of passing the time, remember life is just a diversion of the end which is always looming.

Quick Reply: Washing the car