C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty door latch

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 PM
Steffy Johnson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Faulty door latch

Guys, need help
I'm not able to open my driver side door either from the inside by pressing the open button or from the outside , all that happens while I try is that the window tilts down a bit and then again rolls back up, I cAn only open the door by using the manual lever below the driver side seat or by pulling the latch inside the boot. What shud I check? Or wat needs to be changed? Do advise.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 PM
bassman50
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steffy Johnson
Guys, need help
I'm not able to open my driver side door either from the inside by pressing the open button or from the outside , all that happens while I try is that the window tilts down a bit and then again rolls back up, I cAn only open the door by using the manual lever below the driver side seat or by pulling the latch inside the boot. What shud I check? Or wat needs to be changed? Do advise.
Does the passenger side door work properly? If not, I'd suspect that perhaps the battery in your FOB might be weak. If the passenger side door does operate properly, then perhaps (though it must be a coincidence) both door switches for the driver's door are going bad. Another possibility is the BCM (body control module) for the driver's side is not working properly and may need to be replaced. Start with the FOB battery and progress from there.....Hope this info helps.

Steve
Old 05-15-2017, 02:29 AM
BullittEV
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

your window is indexing but since its not the switches on the ext/int it might be the door module.

thats usually the culprit with those symptoms.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:36 PM
rwpatte
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BullittEV
your window is indexing but since its not the switches on the ext/int it might be the door module.

that's usually the culprit with those symptoms.
Mine did the same thing. Latch assembly in door jam. About $150.00. It was easy to replace.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:47 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by rwpatte
Mine did the same thing. Latch assembly in door jam. About $150.00. It was easy to replace.
I would favor this to be the problem also...

Here's a how to if this is the issue;

Last edited by extrapilot; 05-15-2017 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FortMorganAl (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 02:16 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

My 2005 coupe did the same thing. It was the door module. Chevrolet replaced it, even though the car was out of warranty. You might want to check with someone from Chevy about it. Good luck.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:34 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

It looks like the OP did a correct diagnosis in his thread title and extrapilot posted the replacement process.

It's why this forum rocks.

I just replaced the latch solenoid on the wife's Caddy last week and it's a much bigger PITA than the Vette.
Old 05-15-2017, 06:31 PM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

And the fact that the window moves proves it has absolutely nothing to do with the FOB. In the case of opening a door, the FOB is only used to decide if the door should be allowed to start opening or if the locked condition is to be maintained. Once the window moves that decision has already been made.

It is also very unlikely that it is the door module since the same module controls indexing the window. To be the module it would have to have a failed digital communications to the Body Control Module (BCM) computer yet still digitally communicate to the BCM when it is told to initiate opening by lowering the window.

The DDM and PDM (Drivers and passenger door modules) both communicate digitally to the BCM and the BCM communicates to Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) which handles communications to the FOBs. You push a button and the DDM tells the BCM someone wants the door open. If the door is locked the BCM asks the RCDLR if there is a registered FOB within 3 feet of the button that was just pushed and not within range of any of the other 4 RCDLR transmit antennas. If there is the BCM tells the DDM to start opening the door. When the DDM has lowered the window it tells the BCM it is OK to energize the latch in the B pillar. This isn't a '53 Buick. Opening a door is a surprisingly complex operation that requires the coordination of several computers. If the door starts to open but doesn't finish it is almost certain it is a mechanical problem. Either the latch or the button is intermittent and the OP eliminated that when he stated that neither button opens the door. That leaves the latch. This forum is amazing but it is also rife with "fake news".

Last edited by FortMorganAl; 05-15-2017 at 06:32 PM.
extrapilot (05-15-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 11:34 PM
corvettecolin
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

As I am in another country, can anyone suggest who is good supplier for a latch? I checked Mid America but nothing there. Also Ebay and Summit.

Last edited by corvettecolin; 06-03-2017 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:30 AM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts
Default latch/lock

Originally Posted by corvettecolin
As I am in another country, can anyone suggest who is good supplier for a latch? I checked Mid America but nothing there. Also Ebay and Summit.

https://www.gmpartsonline.net/oem-pa...bC12OC1nYXM%3D
corvettecolin (06-07-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Faulty door latch

Quick Reply: Faulty door latch