C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well, I bit the bullet..........

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:24 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Well, I bit the bullet..........

I took my car to the dealer and had a new shifter put in my 05. And they did the headlight recall. I thought I was getting off cheap- $525.00 for the shifter job. Then they put the car up on the hoist to do an inspection.

A leaky rear axle seal- it was blowing fluid all over the back end. (That took my bill up to almost a grand.) And of course the dreaded oil pan gasket was bad. Yes I got under the car myself and saw it.

So yesterday they did the first two jobs and I told them I would bring it to do the oil pan gasket. I didn't think it was that bad. Just where it had stained the front with dirt sticking to the oil. I have NEVER seen any oil on the floor but there was a tiny drip on the corner of the pan.

I had to do the rear end seal because I have no idea how much fluid was gone and it probably needed changed. So............ I'm not that worried about the oil leak. And it has never gone down on the dip stick. But I will take it back and have it done in a few weeks.
I guess I'll be waiting for the harmonic balancer next.

Thanks for listening to the rant.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:36 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know how you feel. Last month I changed my oil pressure sending unit. Last week my shiter cable broke. Today I noticed my lights will not turn off. Ordered a sensor today. Car goes in for cable and transmission filter/fluid in the morning.

Worst run of luck in the 10 years I have owned it.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:44 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,348 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wayback
...Worst run of luck in the 10 years I have owned it.
Can you say grand Sport???
Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy W1
I took my car to the dealer and had a new shifter put in my 05. And they did the headlight recall. I thought I was getting off cheap- $525.00 for the shifter job. Then they put the car up on the hoist to do an inspection.

A leaky rear axle seal- it was blowing fluid all over the back end. (That took my bill up to almost a grand.) And of course the dreaded oil pan gasket was bad. Yes I got under the car myself and saw it.

So yesterday they did the first two jobs and I told them I would bring it to do the oil pan gasket. I didn't think it was that bad. Just where it had stained the front with dirt sticking to the oil. I have NEVER seen any oil on the floor but there was a tiny drip on the corner of the pan.

I had to do the rear end seal because I have no idea how much fluid was gone and it probably needed changed. So............ I'm not that worried about the oil leak. And it has never gone down on the dip stick. But I will take it back and have it done in a few weeks.
I guess I'll be waiting for the harmonic balancer next.

Thanks for listening to the rant.
Had the rear seals (all 5 of them) changed on my '05 recently, it is quite a labor-intensive job, good news is you get the new differential fluid added, it has additives in it. I suggest you also get a 4 wheel alignment, depending on which seal(s) you had replaced a good section of the rear has to come apart and it throws the rear end alignment out, mine was out quite a bit. Oil pan gasket, are you losing oil? Do you add any between changes? Mine has a slight seep too but I don't add any oil so I'm leaving as is for now, any change and I'll have it done.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 PM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Geez, don't tell me this... How many miles are you gents sitting at?
Old 05-16-2017, 04:10 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by drew_c6
Geez, don't tell me this... How many miles are you gents sitting at?
31K...my mechanic attributed some of the seal problem with low mileage on the car, I (and the previous owner) just didn't/don't use it enough. And I got under mine with the mech, although it looked very nasty down there he topped it off for me (couldn't do the job right then) and it only took half a quart so I wasn't in critical territory yet.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobLo
Had the rear seals (all 5 of them) changed on my '05 recently, it is quite a labor-intensive job, good news is you get the new differential fluid added, it has additives in it. I suggest you also get a 4 wheel alignment, depending on which seal(s) you had replaced a good section of the rear has to come apart and it throws the rear end alignment out, mine was out quite a bit. Oil pan gasket, are you losing oil? Do you add any between changes? Mine has a slight seep too but I don't add any oil so I'm leaving as is for now, any change and I'll have it done.
No I don't add any between changes. I don't see any on the floor and I keep a piece of white metal siding on the floor under the engine so I'll notice any leaks. But nada.....Nothing.

When I first bought the car, one of the mechanics told me that because of the aluminum oil pans expanding and contracting differently than the engine- even a new car oil pan gasket can leak. But this is the first time I have seen a (minute) drip on the bottom of the engine.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Wait, $525 to replace a shifter? You could have done that for about $200 and an hour or 2 of your time.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:19 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by wayback
I know how you feel. Last month I changed my oil pressure sending unit. Last week my shiter cable broke. Today I noticed my lights will not turn off. Ordered a sensor today. Car goes in for cable and transmission filter/fluid in the morning.

Worst run of luck in the 10 years I have owned it.
180K plus on a great looking base coupe...............

just bad timing for a variety of things to happen at once...............

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Can you say grand Sport???

don't be trying to steal the baser who represents that group as a rebel with a cause for the GS'er crowd..............

Last edited by rkj427; 05-16-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:25 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

No I don't add any between changes. I don't see any on the floor and I keep a piece of white metal siding on the floor under the engine so I'll notice any leaks. But nada.....Nothing.

When I first bought the car, one of the mechanics told me that because of the aluminum oil pans expanding and contracting differently than the engine- even a new car oil pan gasket can leak. But this is the first time I have seen a (minute) drip on the bottom of the engine.
would be hard to imagine that an aluminum oil pan and an aluminum block have different material properties which allow for different rates of expansion.................

if anything, the oil pan retaining bolts may have "relaxed" a bit from the original torque values, and allowed some seepage or wicking to start...........

you may want to see if the bolts can be re-torqued, clean the area, and then see what happens before spending the money on a gasket replacement............................

just sayin'................................

Last edited by rkj427; 05-16-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Wait, $525 to replace a shifter? You could have done that for about $200 and an hour or 2 of your time.
Right. I have been considering the bypass/wire back deal now for about a year now. But I went ahead and took it to the dealer. You might need to know, I'll be 70 in September and just sitting in the car seat, working on something like that- I get horrific leg and hand cramps, back pain, etc.

I just can't do the things I did when I was 20. Sometimes I get hip pains just getting into the car.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

<br /><br />Right. I have been considering the bypass/wire back deal now for about a year now. But I went ahead and took it to the dealer. You might need to know, I'll be 70 in September and just sitting in the car seat, working on something like that- I get horrific leg and hand cramps, back pain, etc.<br /><br />I just can't do the things I did when I was 20. Sometimes I get hip pains just getting into the car.<br /><br /><br />
And by the way, the shifter is $285.00 alone.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:32 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rkj427
180K plus on a great looking base coupe...............

just bad timing for a variety of things to happen at once...............

don't be trying to steal the baser who represents that group as a rebel with a cause for the GS'er crowd..............
Saving grace is they are all relatively harmless and inexpensive.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:34 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rkj427
would be hard to imagine that an aluminum oil pan and an aluminum block have different material properties which allow for different rates of expansion.................

if anything, the oil pan retaining bolts may have "relaxed" a bit from the original torque values, and allowed some seepage or wicking to start...........

you may want to see if the bolts can be re-torqued, clean the area, and then see what happens before spending the money on a gasket replacement............................

just sayin'................................
True. I might be wrong but aren't some of the GM engines steel with the oil pans aluminum? I believe this is what the mechanic was pointing out to me.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:39 PM
wayback
Team Owner

True. I might be wrong but aren't some of the GM engines steel with the oil pans aluminum? I believe this is what the mechanic was pointing out to me.
Not on a C6. Others maybe.

GM has a problem with the sealant they used in our cars.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RobLo
Thanks for the advice on the alignment. The mechanic did send an alignment sheet with the bill but I never thought anything about it. Besides. I don't even know how to read the darn thing. I called back the service manager about 2 1/2 hours ago and asked him about it. He said that the mechanic never mentioned the alignment being out and that they were pretty hungry when it came to jobs. He said that he would ask the mechanic in the morning and get back with me. I still have the sheet but I don't know what the numbers mean.

:-)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:52 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

If it were me I'd wait until I saw any noticeable dripping of adding of oil. I have oil sweat on the pan too, I tried to tighten the bolts but they were all good. That said this is not my daily driver so I check the oil ALMOST every time I take it out and have never added oil between changes, usually once a year and about 2500 miles. But you also have something under your car so you'll see when it starts to seriously leak, I wouldn't worry about it right now. Whatever your choice good luck!

Edit-I keep a drip pan under my car too, first car I've had to do that to since my old mid-50's/60's Chevy's...

Last edited by RobLo; 05-16-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Well, I bit the bullet..........

Old 05-17-2017, 03:27 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
could have done the work for free and got a real shifter like a MGW!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:07 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Right. I have been considering the bypass/wire back deal now for about a year now. But I went ahead and took it to the dealer. You might need to know, I'll be 70 in September and just sitting in the car seat, working on something like that- I get horrific leg and hand cramps, back pain, etc.

I just can't do the things I did when I was 20. Sometimes I get hip pains just getting into the car.

No worries, I don't blame you! Your health is #1.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:17 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
could have done the work for free and got a real shifter like a MGW!
I probably could have gotten a different shifter but I like to keep my cars original.

Quick Reply: Well, I bit the bullet..........