C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 rear end cluncking

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Jerry0
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2005 C6 rear end cluncking

Good Morning everyone i have a 2005 C6 with 40k that i purchased a few months ago now that weather has changed for the better i am driving it much more.
I am getting a cluncking noise (similar to old school bad u-joints)
mainly noticeable at slower speeds and 1st. or 2nd. gear,, shifts smoothly
no vibrations or shutter on highway..it is just very annoying.
has anyone else had similar noises,,maybe just being ****
any guidance would be much appreciated
Old 05-22-2017, 01:37 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

if it's while your making sharp turns at low speed, change you diff fluid, if it's happening in a straight line, it sounds like your "couplers" which replaced the u-joints. HEY nannies was that OK? informative? not rude? helpful? I don't get banned?

Last edited by CMY SIX; 05-22-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:07 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,005 Likes on 2,168 Posts

Yep, being an 05, and the fact that there was a change in the diff fluid used shortly afterwards to keep the diff quiet, could just be the diff fluid needs to be changed. Hell, if the car has been pampered, may just need to drive it on the harder side to allow the diff clutch packs to flush clean instead.

Also, could be the axle nuts loose that that bolt through the wheel bearings. Hence there was a respect on the torque after the first year runs as well.

With 40k, could just be worn sway bar end links making noise as well. Hence end links tend to last about 40K before they need to be replaced due to noise.

Really, just need to get the car on a lift to figure out where the noise is coming from to start with.
The following users liked this post:
Jerry0 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Jerry0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
if it's while your making sharp turns at low speed, change you diff fluid, if it's happening in a straight line, it sounds like your "couplers" which replaced the u-joints. HEY nannies was that OK? informative? not rude? helpful? I don't get banned?
Thanks
i am thinking it is couplers,, really noticeable when taking off from slow stop or shifting slowly.. or if i pull clutch in a slower speed or let off gas at slow speeds are couplers big job assume like everything else they are.
appreciate your opinion
Old 05-22-2017, 04:54 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Good Job , And you sounded really sincere.......WW
Old 05-22-2017, 06:03 PM
st13rider
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a clunking noise and it was the axle shafts, the nuts had to be replaced and torqued to new specs. No more clunking noise after that.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Jerry0
Thanks
i am thinking it is couplers,, really noticeable when taking off from slow stop or shifting slowly.. or if i pull clutch in a slower speed or let off gas at slow speeds are couplers big job assume like everything else they are.
appreciate your opinion
I have a new to me 2005 also with 40K on the clock. I am experiencing something similar, my "clunk" is definitely when I am shifting. I can't yet figure if it's the couplers, something to do with the clutch or the axle nuts. My wife has a 2013 SS Camaro with the LS3 and it also has the flex couplers. You can make that car do something similar when shifting into 2nd and I know the couplers are not worn out on it. I don't profess to be an expert at driving a manual and I think there is a "technique" to shifting smoothly, especially into 2nd gear.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

What a softy
Old 05-23-2017, 06:41 AM
Jerry0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cadyshac
I have a new to me 2005 also with 40K on the clock. I am experiencing something similar, my "clunk" is definitely when I am shifting. I can't yet figure if it's the couplers, something to do with the clutch or the axle nuts. My wife has a 2013 SS Camaro with the LS3 and it also has the flex couplers. You can make that car do something similar when shifting into 2nd and I know the couplers are not worn out on it. I don't profess to be an expert at driving a manual and I think there is a "technique" to shifting smoothly, especially into 2nd gear.
Hi yes this sounds exactly like my issue,, at times i think its me getting used to 6 speed again,, but i think more to it. i guess i need to check axle nuts i believe clutch is fine Thanks for the response
Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 AM
Jerry0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by st13rider
I had a clunking noise and it was the axle shafts, the nuts had to be replaced and torqued to new specs. No more clunking noise after that.
Thanks for reply looks like i need to get axle nuts checked seems to be common issue...
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Slowridr
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for reply looks like i need to get axle nuts checked seems to be common issue...
I have a 2006 and have the same thing happening. Very clunky like a slackness in the driveline somewhere when shifting. If I shift a certain way it wont do it, but if I push in clutch and slowly shift, hesitating before releasing clutch (wish I could explain better) it will be clunky when driveline re-engages with motor. Anxious to find out what happens when you get yours checked.

Last edited by Slowridr; 05-25-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 PM
dkh@twc.com
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clunking

Good Morning everyone i have a 2005 C6 with 40k that i purchased a few months ago now that weather has changed for the better i am driving it much more.
I am getting a cluncking noise (similar to old school bad u-joints)
mainly noticeable at slower speeds and 1st. or 2nd. gear,, shifts smoothly
no vibrations or shutter on highway..it is just very annoying.
has anyone else had similar noises,,maybe just being ****
any guidance would be much appreciated
Axle Nuts definitely,had same problem and had to wait 2 hours for dealer to agree with me after they checked everything else including the radio...DEALERS ? WOW.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,611 Likes on 2,341 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Jeez, folks, tighten your own nuts. Get a socket and torque wrench and have at it. Don't even need to jack it up.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Good Job , And you sounded really sincere.......WW
TY I am sincere in all my reply's, just want people to think for themselves, we have ALL the info in and of the world at out fingertips.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:58 PM
cadyshac
Drifting

Received 596 Likes on 393 Posts
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Slowridr
I have a 2006 and have the same thing happening. Very clunky like a slackness in the driveline somewhere when shifting. If I shift a certain way it wont do it, but if I push in clutch and slowly shift, hesitating before releasing clutch (wish I could explain better) it will be clunky when driveline rengages with motor. Anxious to find out what happens when you get yours checked.
This sounds exactly like my car. Hard to describe and seems like multiple symptoms at times. On top of that I have changed out the fluid in my clutch master cylinder several times trying to get it to "clean up". This does seem to have an effect on how consistently the clutch releases. Mine is getting better but I will still change it a couple more times.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:47 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

The two causes of a rear end "clunking" noise in an '05 (and later years) that are easiest to address are loose rear axle nuts & OEM differential fluid with insufficient friction modifier. To check the axle nuts, remove the rear wheels & use a 33mm socket to check the nuts for tightness. If loose, re-torque to 140 ft lbs. This is a temporary fix only. The axle nuts are torque sensitive & if loose, should be replaced with new nuts. P/N is 10257766....they are only a couple of bucks each at any dealer. Proper procedure is to remove the old nuts; clean the spindles; apply Loctite 272 (hi-temp red); torque new nuts to 140 ft lbs; allow to cure overnight before remounting tires & driving.
The proper gear oil is Dextron LS Gear Oil, p/n 88862624....2 qts required. Drive car to warm the diff oil; drain & refill. IMPORTANT - drive 8-10 slow speed figure 8's to force the new fluid into the clutch packs. Both of these procedures are easy DIY. Only then if the noise continues should you consider other possible causes.

Last edited by Dave S; 05-25-2017 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Jerry0
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave S
The two causes of a rear end "clunking" noise in an '05 (and later years) that are easiest to address are loose rear axle nuts & OEM differential fluid with insufficient friction modifier. To check the axle nuts, remove the rear wheels & use a 33mm socket to check the nuts for tightness. If loose, re-torque to 140 ft lbs. This is a temporary fix only. The axle nuts are torque sensitive & if loose, should be replaced with new nuts. P/N is 10257766....they are only a couple of bucks each at any dealer. Proper procedure is to remove the old nuts; clean the spindles; apply Loctite 272 (hi-temp red); torque new nuts to 140 ft lbs; allow to cure overnight before remounting tires & driving.
The proper gear oil if Dextron LS Gear Oil, p/n 88862624....2 qts required. Drive car to warm the diff oil; drain & refill. IMPORTANT - drive 8-10 slow speed figure 8's to force the new fluid into the clutch packs. Both of these procedures are easy DIY. Only then if the noise continues should you consider other possible causes.
Thanks very much for the information this seems to be the consensus
Much Appreciated

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 rear end cluncking

Old 05-26-2017, 09:23 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting thread, I'll keep an eye on my car if this problem comes up.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:09 PM
corvette312
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Mine had the above issue with 10K miles. I changed the differential fluid...bye-bye noise.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 PM
COvert-red
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

1) Tighten axel nuts visa vi "ruxvette's" recommendation above (simple..)
2) Put new spec fluid in diff
3) Have a nice weekend
The following users liked this post:
Jerry0 (05-27-2017)

Quick Reply: 2005 C6 rear end cluncking