C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather wrapping some interior panels

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Just finished up the B pillar and working on the rear speaker panel now. Should have everything buttoned up by tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Keev1414 (12-05-2021)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
Just finished up the B pillar and working on the rear speaker panel now. Should have everything buttoned up by tomorrow.
Nice! Please report back on how hard the speaker panel is to do. Im thinking about upgrading the speakers and finishing the panel in the leather or alcantura.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:45 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Nice! Please report back on how hard the speaker panel is to do. Im thinking about upgrading the speakers and finishing the panel in the leather or alcantura.
its proving to be very challenging, im only doing very small sections at a time and allowing that to dry before moving on. With all the curves, you need to pull the leather tight and smooth it out.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 PM
blanz
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts

A pickup full of parts completed and the A pillars in suede leather.
Was quite a labor of love.
Attached Images   
Keev1414 (11-21-2021)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:10 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 444 Posts

Sub'd !!!!
Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,908 Likes on 4,290 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I’ve got some pieces coming from J-F Customs as well. Can’t wait
Old 05-26-2018, 06:33 PM
silvrhand
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

will be interesting to see how it holds in the summer heat.. I would imagine it would melt and come unbonded?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:11 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Thanks, but I am only doing the gluing. Leather pieces are bought from JF customs ready to go.
Putting in a sizable order from JF next week. Can you give us any tips on the installation wrapping of the OEM panels? what glue did you use?
Old 05-28-2018, 08:43 PM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 125 Posts

How much do these leather pieces you're ordering/installing stretch? It seems to me they put seams where sometimes they're not really needed, especially if the leather is stretched.

The way the seams standup and the backside vee notches telegraph thru is unattractive and unacceptable to me! Doesn't look factory to my eye. Has anyone applied a backer/filler, possibly a thin foam padding to fit up to the underside seam flap to lessen the seam raising up so much and the notching telegraphing thru? How do the big boys/factory do it?

Last edited by TomdaToolman; 05-28-2018 at 08:44 PM.
cmonkey713 (06-03-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:34 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by silvrhand
will be interesting to see how it holds in the summer heat.. I would imagine it would melt and come unbonded?
no issues so far

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Putting in a sizable order from JF next week. Can you give us any tips on the installation wrapping of the OEM panels? what glue did you use?
I used contact cement and just take your time. Pay attention to the stitching and the curve it corresponds to. Lay the leather out and almost practice moving it around and how you are going to bond it. I sanded each panel down with 200 grit sandpaper, cleaned it with isopropal alcohol and then started the covering. Do small sections at a time, dont hit the entire panel with contact cement and then try to lay the leather down.

Originally Posted by TomdaToolman
How much do these leather pieces you're ordering/installing stretch? It seems to me they put seams where sometimes they're not really needed, especially if the leather is stretched.

The way the seams standup and the backside vee notches telegraph thru is unattractive and unacceptable to me! Doesn't look factory to my eye. Has anyone applied a backer/filler, possibly a thin foam padding to fit up to the underside seam flap to lessen the seam raising up so much and the notching telegraphing thru? How do the big boys/factory do it?
no room for foam and you can stretch the leather pretty good, but when you do that, you need to do a small section and let that dry for 24 hours, then once its bonded, you can pull on the leather without worrying if its going to move on you.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:03 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

What pieces are you seeing the seam ? For the most part, I never stretched the leather. Once lined up, you should be able to just lay it down without much pull.

The one area that I think they could have done without the seam is on the upper door panel. That's where the material behind the seam shows through the most. I wouldn't put foam behind it. I think that would make it worse.

I have been thinking about doing the upper section on the door again and trimming the extra leather back. I may even remove some material from that portion of the door. I watched a few youtube video's but for the most part, the seams followed the curves of the door so you would avoid the issue all together.

Here's a few photos from the door frame trim. I didn't pull or stretch to much on these.

Last edited by 1rusty1; 05-28-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:06 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

It was on the upper door panel in someone's pic.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:16 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

It was on the upper door panel in someone's pic.
Yeah that was probably mine. I don't think there were too many trying the door panels.

I would say that it hasn't been something that anyone has pointed out at the car shows. I don't think most people even notice but when I get some time, I am going to see if I can't give it another try. I'm pretty confident I can hide that seam better. I haven't had this issue with any of the other items I've wrapped.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:24 AM
TomdaToolman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
Yeah that was probably mine. I don't think there were too many trying the door panels.

I would say that it hasn't been something that anyone has pointed out at the car shows. I don't think most people even notice but when I get some time, I am going to see if I can't give it another try. I'm pretty confident I can hide that seam better. I haven't had this issue with any of the other items I've wrapped.
Most all the other pics the seams look great!
Old 05-29-2018, 01:33 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Most all the other pics the seams look great!
Thanks. When I get around to tying it again, I will post up pics. It's really only that one seam that was an issue with me. The rest of their leather worked out well.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:07 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,908 Likes on 4,290 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I just received my order from J-F Customs: center console, console lid cover & radio bezel. The radio bezel pieces needs lots of cutting for various items like the traction control button, shifter, cup holders, vents & radio. Any tips from those who have done this piece - I don’t want to screw it up.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JABCAT

I just received my order from J-F Customs: center console, console lid cover & radio bezel. The radio bezel pieces needs lots of cutting for various items like the traction control button, shifter, cup holders, vents & radio. Any tips from those who have done this piece - I don’t want to screw it up.
I didn't install that piece on my vette but I did have to cut some of the leather to fit on what I did install. I'm sure others will weigh in on your specific piece.

I used some glue dots to position the leather on the trim pieces first. Once I had it positioned how I wanted, I started trimming a little at a time using a very sharp razor.

On that piece, once positioned, you might be able to trace the cut from the back of the console before making any cuts. You want to leave enough material to wrap the leather around each opening though.

Remove the glue dots and start gluing. (I did this a section at a time)

That's how I would go at it. I am curious how others went about installing it.

Get notified of new replies

To Leather wrapping some interior panels

Old 06-03-2018, 12:48 PM
Jon05vette
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts
2016 C6 of the Year Finalist
Default Rather install tips

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I didn't install that piece on my vette but I did have to cut some of the leather to fit on what I did install. I'm sure others will weigh in on your specific piece.

I used some glue dots to position the leather on the trim pieces first. Once I had it positioned how I wanted, I started trimming a little at a time using a very sharp razor.

On that piece, once positioned, you might be able to trace the cut from the back of the console before making any cuts. You want to leave enough material to wrap the leather around each opening though.

Remove the glue dots and start gluing. (I did this a section at a time)

That's how I would go at it. I am curious how others went about installing it.
Test place the leather first before applying the contact cement so u know where the edges are and how much u may have to stretch the leather if need. I use 3M 90 contract cement spray. Worked great. No issues in the heat so far (2nd season). I did a section at every so i could adjust as needed. I also purchased 35 of those little clips from Home Depot.....and just everyone of them for some of those panels. Don’t leave them on too long or they will leave a tough indentation to work out once removed.
JABCAT (06-04-2018)
Old 06-17-2018, 08:43 PM
blanz
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Finally completed interior redo....

Originally Posted by blanz
A pickup full of parts completed and the A pillars in suede leather.
Was quite a labor of love.
And now seats have been rebuilt, new suspension wires, foams, and skins.
Now I don’t feel like I’m sitting in a hole since most of the suspension wires were broke. Used .047” music wire to restring.
Attached Images  

Last edited by blanz; 06-17-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:18 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 221 Posts

Does anyone still have their order information for the rear door sill? J-F Customs is telling me they don't make it and wants me to send them my trim pieces so they can custom make it. Pic below to show the part I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Leather wrapping some interior panels