C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaking through headgasket?

Old 05-22-2017, 09:46 PM
Aking
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil leaking through headgasket?

Hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 C6 with 82,000mi on it. Its a pretty clean car, and cheapish at $17,000. However, I did spot some oil residue on the passenger side cylinder bank where the head meets the block. Alarm bells rang to my untrained eye.

I consulted a former coworker who is a certified world-class GM Master Technician. In his many years of experience, he has never seen oil leak through the headgasket. He's convinced it shouldn't be an issues and just needs a clean.

I took the car for a vigorous test drive and watched underneath the car for a good minute or two for any drips and found nothing. The oil was clean and the coolant is clear. Car pulled strong and had no performance issues. Temps held around 210 for the length of my test drive and about 15 minutes of idling after for a total of about 35 minutes.

Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you guys think. Could this be a leak from somewhere else like the intake or valve covers? The dark spot seems to originate from the valley area.

Last edited by Aking; 05-22-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:32 AM
nzkiwivet
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

12 yr old car?you are getting what you get,there are plenty of cars talked about on here with way more miles,still going strong.Check the maintainece records and go from there.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:45 AM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

I would doubt it's a head gasket... probably just a old intake gasket weaping a little oil no big deal. If it was leaking much you would see it around the engine and on the floor.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:51 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I agree with your co worker, no worries.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,361 Likes on 903 Posts

Hmmm...right below the oil fill cap....

Last edited by BlindSpot; 05-23-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:25 AM
Aking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
Hmmm...right below the oil fill cap....
Kind of. It seems to originate uphill of the filler neck.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:46 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I think I would put a lot of stock in what a World Class Master Technician says.....
Old 05-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Aking
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
I think I would put a lot of stock in what a World Class Master Technician says.....
I do! The guy is brilliant. But its my $17,000, not his.

It might just be a bad vibe I'm getting from the whole deal, the car, the guy selling it, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,687 Likes on 2,986 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Don't be looking at a 12 year old car & expecting perfection, any car that age will have some imperfections if you look hard enough. I don't think there is an issue with your concerns
Old 05-24-2017, 11:36 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Aking
I do! The guy is brilliant. But its my $17,000, not his.

It might just be a bad vibe I'm getting from the whole deal, the car, the guy selling it, etc.
It's as simple as this;

The world class GM tech says its okay...but you ask opinions here from people you don't know but trust?

You say it's not the techs 17K but you still asked for his opinion. With that kind of attitude you shouldn't have asked him in the 1st place.

Not trying to be a smart *** but it sounds like you are looking for a reason to NOT buy the car.

Bottom line...man up and buy the car or not, but don't waste time asking for expert advise that sounds like you've no real interest in taking. If you have a bad vibe...well, you know yourself better than we do.

Again...I am not trying to be a smart ***. You asked what we thought.

Good Luck!

Last edited by MH663; 05-24-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MH663
It's as simple as this;

The world class GM tech says its okay...but you ask opinions here from people you don't know but trust?

You say it's not the techs 17K but you still asked for his opinion. With that kind of attitude you shouldn't have asked him in the 1st place.

Not trying to be a smart *** but it sounds like you are looking for a reason to NOT buy the car.

Bottom line...man up and buy the car or not, but don't waste time asking for expert advise that sounds like you've no real interest in taking. If you have a bad vibe...well, you know yourself better than we do.

Good Luck!

From what we can see it looks like the filler neck was the cause. Easy enough to spill a little oil there.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Aking
Intermediate

It's as simple as this;

Bottom line...man up and buy the car or not, but don't waste time asking for expert advise that sounds like you've no real interest in taking.

Good Luck!
I will continue the trend of not being a smart *** as I address your train of thought below.

- Yes! The world class GM tech says its OK. But more information from folks who have experienced something similar to further corroborate what he said would be great too. Why else does the forum exist if not to share experiences about the common interest we all share?

- Yes, because the final decision and funds come from me and my bank account, so while his information is valuable, I don't think its fair to say I'm wasting anyone's time by seeking more information from owners who have seen similar on their own cars.

- And yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for, a reason to not buy the car. Do you not look for problems or negatives when you make your decisions?

It never ceases to amaze me that somehow, anytime I see a new member join a forum and some salty old dog comes out to pick his post apart instead of simply providing feedback as the other 6 or 7 people managed to do in this post.

Just because you're "not trying to be a smart ***" doesn't mean you aren't one. Thanks for the warm welcome, and I hope you have a better day!
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

I will continue the trend of not being a smart *** as I address your train of thought below.

- Yes! The world class GM tech says its OK. But more information from folks who have experienced something similar to further corroborate what he said would be great too. Why else does the forum exist if not to share experiences about the common interest we all share?

- Yes, because the final decision and funds come from me and my bank account, so while his information is valuable, I don't think its fair to say I'm wasting anyone's time by seeking more information from owners who have seen similar on their own cars.

- And yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for, a reason to not buy the car. Do you not look for problems or negatives when you make your decisions?

It never ceases to amaze me that somehow, anytime I see a new member join a forum and some salty old dog comes out to pick his post apart instead of simply providing feedback as the other 6 or 7 people managed to do in this post.

Just because you're "not trying to be a smart ***" doesn't mean you aren't one. Thanks for the warm welcome, and I hope you have a better day!
Perfect!!!
The following users liked this post:
Aking (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

It's as simple as this;

Good Luck!
If you have to clarify to someone that you're not being a smart ***, not just once, but twice, then you are being a smart ***, whether you mean to or not.
The following users liked this post:
Aking (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:28 AM
MH663
Burning Brakes

- Yes! The world class GM tech says its OK. But more information from folks who have experienced something similar to further corroborate what he said would be great too. Why else does the forum exist if not to share experiences about the common interest we all share?The comment was made for one specific reason. If you have a great tech, why not trust him.

- Yes, because the final decision and funds come from me and my bank account, so while his information is valuable, I don't think its fair to say I'm wasting anyone's time by seeking more information from owners who have seen similar on their own cars. You are not wasting the forum members time. You wasted your GM techs time.

- And[/COLOR]d yeah that's exactly what I'm looking for, a reason to not buy the car. Do you not look for problems or negatives when you make your decisions? Yes we do but again, your brilliant GM tech says its not an issue. There is no reason to not buy the car if that was the only issue you found.

It never ceases to amaze me that somehow, anytime I see a new member join a forum and some salty old dog comes out to pick his post apart instead of simply providing feedback as the other 6 or 7 people managed to do in this post.You asked for opinion on what might be the issue. I wad direct and to the point. Re-read what I said. It sounds logical if I must say so myself. Just because you're "not trying to be a smart ***" doesn't mean you aren't one. Thanks for the warm welcome, and I hope you have a better day!
Love this one the best! Yes, people here on the forum often take issue with others comments. I was simple saying..."Hey man, don't take this the wrong way". So NO, I wasn't trying to be a smart but I guess you missed that point as well!

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
If you have to clarify to someone that you're not being a smart ***, not just once, but twice, then you are being a smart ***, whether you mean to or not.
I disagree but you're entitled to your opinion. Reiterating that you are not trying to me a smart *** is just that. Anyone can misconstrue a typed comment. You can't see the person you are talking to or hear the inflections in their voice. "THEREFORE", I stated the obvious that both of you have seemed to miss. So I'll spell it out for you. "I knew my comments might come off as curt but it wasn't my intent. Therefore the "Disclaimer" if you will. In any event I would like to apologize as it was not my intention.

Aking, I hope you find the right vehicle.

Last edited by MH663; 05-25-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:34 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,361 Likes on 903 Posts

And so it goes.....Welcome to the CF forum sewing circle.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:07 PM
MH663
Burning Brakes

@ BlindSpot...I hope not.

OP took my comments the wrong way. I explained myself and hopefully he now understands there was no malicious intent. Either way, I'm good to go.

Last edited by MH663; 05-25-2017 at 12:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil leaking through headgasket?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leaking through headgasket?