C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS2 Harmonic Balancer Replaced with PB 25% Underdrive, Questions!

Old 05-23-2017, 04:39 PM
guitarman715
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LS2 Harmonic Balancer Replaced with PB 25% Underdrive, Questions!

So my 07 LS2 devolved the balancer "wobble" and I went ahead and ordered a powerbond balancer. My brother is a mechanic so I dropped everything off at his house for him to fix it while I was on vacation, well he informs me that it is a 25% underdrive, which I had no intention on buying, so I just told him to get the right belts and go ahead with the install. Everything went smoothly and I wasn't worried until I started researching underdrive pulleys for the Vettes.

My main concern is, I am reading various post about guys breaking their timing chains?!?! I also noticed it seemed those people had heads & cam, and some of them where racing, others not, but they were blaming the balancer. So now I am scared to drive the car like I normally do. But on the other hand I read people who are reporting good results with the powerbond unit.

The only other mods I have on the car is a Varram intake and full Z06 exhaust. I have 80k miles on the engine, mostly highway miles. This car is my daily driver!

Any input or experiences with the 25% powerbond underdrive pulley on LS2/LS3 is greatly appreciated!!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 PM
extrapilot
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 287 Posts

It's probable that you will experience low charging voltage at idle. In the hot summer months in traffic, this could be a big issue seeing that the cooling fans have a high demand on the electrical system, so they become less efficient and possibly causing overheating. Also, the power steering maybe weak at turning sharply and again at idle engine speeds.
As a DD I would not have personally made that choice,..as I also DD my car.
This site does have a answer to the charging system issues you may have, but comes with a expensive price tag, but highly regarded.
http://www.mechman.com/

Last edited by extrapilot; 05-23-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

If I recall correctly, most of the timing chain failures where they tried equating it to the balancer, we're running ASP brand balancers. Although there was never a definitive proof to blame the ASP balancer, there were enough instances where people started avoiding that brand. I don't believe it had anything to do with it being underdrive. I ran an underdrive ASP for many years without issue until I finally replaced it after hearing the horror stories with an ATI underdrive, again without issue. Powerbond is a good brand and I don't believe it being an underdrive will cause you any timing chain issues.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I can't see at all how an underdrive balancer would have any effect on the timing chain ... don't worry about that.

Did your brother ever tell you the reason he would order you an underdrive balancer to begin with? ... What was he thinking?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 PM
guitarman715
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He didn't order it, I did! I was in a rush and didn't pay attention to the details! So it was my fault. I sure hope you guys are right! I guess I'm gona keep driving it the way I was before.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:56 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

sorry to say their not, LS2's don't like under drive pulleys, no matter who makes them

Last edited by CMY SIX; 05-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:31 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
sorry to say their not, LS2's don't like under drive pulleys, no matter who makes them
Why not? What don't they like about them? I've had an under drive pulley (2 different brands) on my car for several years and 10s of thousands of miles with no issues. The car has also been on the track (road course which is harder on the timing chain) I do have the upgraded chain but that was to handle the power increase, not because I have an under drive pulley. I also have an under drive pulley on my truck, also an LS2, without any problems.

Get notified of new replies

To LS2 Harmonic Balancer Replaced with PB 25% Underdrive, Questions!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS2 Harmonic Balancer Replaced with PB 25% Underdrive, Questions!