C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some proof that disconnecting battery fixes some items

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:22 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Some proof that disconnecting battery fixes some items

I went to take my 05 base to a car show this morning. I tried to put up the driver window but it wouldn't move. I could hear a click in the door and it would only move like a 1/4" and stop. I could go back and forth that 1/4" but no more than that. Almost as if it learned the index at the bottom. Played with it for a few more mins and still nothing. Disconnected and reconnected battery and still no change. Disconnected battery again and touched terminals together. All was working right again after that. Just a heads up if anyone else runs into this issue
Old 05-27-2017, 12:45 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Think of it as the same thing as rebooting your computer. Your Vette is uses computer controlled modules and they need to communicate properly with the PCM/BCM. If the signal is locked up disconnecting the battery and touching the cables reboots the system.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:51 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You can't just disconnect, then re-connect the battery cables. You need to let it sit for several minutes with no power. Why? I don't have a clue. There are many, many threads on this. Some say 5 minutes, some say 1 minute, some say 30 minutes. I personally have used the 5 minute method and has worked for me. I guess maybe things need time to power down. Anyway, glad it worked for you.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:43 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
You can't just disconnect, then re-connect the battery cables. You need to let it sit for several minutes with no power. Why? I don't have a clue. There are many, many threads on this. Some say 5 minutes, some say 1 minute, some say 30 minutes. I personally have used the 5 minute method and has worked for me. I guess maybe things need time to power down. Anyway, glad it worked for you.
Same thing I was told with electronics.\, DVD player, cable box ect. except the guy said to push or turn on the "power button" and hold it for a few seconds, like 10-15 after unplugging it from power, why I asked, don't know but he said to do it. Maybe it releases stored energy Worked
NSF
The following users liked this post:
LMB-Z (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

1) I had always wondered about rebooting your modem: You're supposed to shut it off and wait 10 seconds before turning it back on. But . . .

If the speed of electricity approaches the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) how long should it take to go from the "Off" switch on the modem to all the components, inches away? A zillionth of a trillionth of a second? Certainly not ten seconds.

Then someone told me that the capacitors (condensers) have to discharge. Okay, sounds reasonable.

2) This thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone mentioning touching the two battery leads together.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:29 PM
poughkeepsie
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Touching the leads together discharges any capacitors.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by poughkeepsie
Touching the leads together discharges any capacitors.
Aha, so someone could discharge them instantly instead of waiting a while.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:40 AM
jft69z
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 328 Likes on 267 Posts

It's typically called a 'global reset' by techs. Used it a number of times on vehicles over the years to fix flaky behavior, not just GM either. It's always worth a shot before replacing modules, or where scan tool data doesn't reveal anything solid. Can't beat the cost
Old 05-28-2017, 09:31 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

You can't just disconnect, then re-connect the battery cables. You need to let it sit for several minutes with no power. Why? I don't have a clue. ....
That because disconnecting the battery has nothing to do with "rebooting" modules. All modules are reset either by the BCM or through timers. While you are connecting and disconnecting and shorting and eating carrots, the timers are running. Suddenly eating that last carrot caused the module to reset.

Originally Posted by Bruze
...Then someone told me that the capacitors (condensers) have to discharge. Okay, sounds reasonable. ...
Yes, many electronic devices have capacitors to solve issues with voltage fluctuations and they will continue to supply enough power to keep a device running through short power interruptions. The C6 is not one of these. It has a 12V battery and permanent memory that needs no power to pick up where it left off if the battery is disconnected. Ever notice that you can't reset codes in a C6 by disconnecting the battery? Ever wonder why?
LMB-Z (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 12:58 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
That because disconnecting the battery has nothing to do with "rebooting" modules. All modules are reset either by the BCM or through timers. While you are connecting and disconnecting and shorting and eating carrots, the timers are running. Suddenly eating that last carrot caused the module to reset.

Yes, many electronic devices have capacitors to solve issues with voltage fluctuations and they will continue to supply enough power to keep a device running through short power interruptions. The C6 is not one of these. It has a 12V battery and permanent memory that needs no power to pick up where it left off if the battery is disconnected. Ever notice that you can't reset codes in a C6 by disconnecting the battery? Ever wonder why?
I've heard you say that before, and trust your opinions.

- So why does disconnecting the battery reset the radio presets (and a few other things?) as happened to me a couple of years ago?

- What's the deal about touching both battery leads together after they are free from the battery? (as mentioned by the OP) Does it accomplish anything?
Old 05-28-2017, 01:24 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...the speed of light (186,000 miles per second)...
What's the speed of dark?
Old 05-28-2017, 02:48 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,891 Likes on 1,913 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ruxvette
What's the speed of dark?
Not fast enough......you have had your photo taken.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:00 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've heard you say that before, and trust your opinions.

- So why does disconnecting the battery reset the radio presets (and a few other things?) as happened to me a couple of years ago?

- What's the deal about touching both battery leads together after they are free from the battery? (as mentioned by the OP) Does it accomplish anything?
I've had my battery disconnected several times and have never lost any memory presets. Not even the clock. Only thing I've ever had to do is reset the windows.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EVRose
I've had my battery disconnected several times and have never lost any memory presets. Not even the clock. Only thing I've ever had to do is reset the windows.
Me neither.

I should have 'splained my point better.

Two years ago when I took mine out of storage (stays on maintainer continuously) the radio presents were in total chaos. Maybe a few other things too, don't remember. I asked here, and someone (maybe Al? or Dano?) said to disconnect the battery, which I did, and they were okay after that and have remained fine since.

(Ha, but this spring the mirror presets were off the wall, so I just did the reset with button #1 on the door thingy.)
Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Maybe the presets aren't supposed to get lost but they have on my C6's when I've disconnected the battery. It's why some folks use the battery in the lighter tool when they fuss with the battery.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

..Two years ago when I took mine out of storage (stays on maintainer continuously) the radio presents were in total chaos. Maybe a few other things too, don't remember. I asked here, and someone (maybe Al? or Dano?) said to disconnect the battery, which I did, and they were okay after that and have remained fine since.

(Ha, but this spring the mirror presets were off the wall, so I just did the reset with button #1 on the door thingy.)
That's something Dano would say, not me. The only memory on the car that isn't permanent is the window full up position. Yes, if you disconnect that battery long enough the clock may eventually stop. I'm not sure what powers the clock with no battery. Sounds more like you had a power surge sometime over the winter.

I have an issue with the nav on my car. If I drive past this one particular hospital under navigation and also listening to an MP3 CD at the same time, the nav stops updating. The CD still plays but the map never changes again and no more directions. I suppose I could disconnect the battery to reset it but that would mean stopping the car and getting out to do it. The solution is to stop the car and open the driver's door. When I close the door and restart everything is back to normal because it was the BCM removing power when the door was opened in RAP mode that actually solved the problem. If I had not opened the door power would have been removed in 20 minutes anyway. But if I had gone through the effort of disconnecting the battery, not knowing how it worked, I might say that disconnecting solved the issue. This is very similar to the misinformation that the car unlocks when the FOB gets close and locks when the FOB moves far enough away. Makes sense but it totally wrong.

And the reason I keep harping on the issue is that every time you disconnect and reconnect the battery you put power surges into the electronics. Sure the system is designed to not fail with every surge but you are playing Russian Roulette with your computers. And if you don't need to...
Bruze (05-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Some proof that disconnecting battery fixes some items

Quick Reply: Some proof that disconnecting battery fixes some items