C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the Nav screen on a non installed radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 AM
VRXR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the Nav screen on a non installed radio

Hi Forum

I have a 2012 Nav Radio, bought it from a forum member that is not installed.

I need to flip the Nav screen open, so I can remove it. (the Nav screen in my car is cracked).

Anyone know how? Do I need to power it up? If so how?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:03 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I'd say yes you have to power it up. Maybe battery charger. + -
Old 05-29-2017, 10:20 AM
VRXR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I'd say yes you have to power it up. Maybe battery charger. + -
Do you know what pins get 12V?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:07 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Since you'll have to take out your current unit to replace the screen, why not just plug in the replacement unit long enough to power open the screen?

Tom
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM
VRXR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TCW
Since you'll have to take out your current unit to replace the screen, why not just plug in the replacement unit long enough to power open the screen?

Tom
Hi Tom

Thanks but I am fairly sure I can get the screen out with the radio in - it looks like two hinge screws (visible with screen open) and a ribbon cable.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:09 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by VRXR
Hi Forum

I have a 2012 Nav Radio, bought it from a forum member that is not installed.

I need to flip the Nav screen open, so I can remove it. (the Nav screen in my car is cracked).

Anyone know how? Do I need to power it up? If so how?

Thanks in advance.
I must be missing something here. You do not need to remove the Nav screen to remove the radio. The radio is part of the Nav unit.
Just remove the Nav unit asasembly, and plug in the new radio unit in the same place.

Am I missing something. If you are just trying to open the Nav flip screen to replace it with a new one, forget about it. I've tried and it doesn't work. I got the old screen out, but the ribbon was pulled out and it was impossible to get it the new screen back in place. I tried numerous times, with small tools, and I couldn't do it. If you do succeed, please make a PDF out of the process.
If your Nav screen is cracked, you probably need to replace the whole unit.
I can show you a pic of pieces from my experiment.

If you want to try, just power up the new unit, and flip open the screen , then unplug to keep it open while you take it apart

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 05-29-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:59 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Why don't you just install the unit that you bought ... it has the USB and AUX ....

Dave
Old 05-29-2017, 08:18 PM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Why don't you just install the unit that you bought ... it has the USB and AUX ....

Dave
It will need to be taken to a dealer to remove the theft lock. When I did mine it cost me $150 at the dealer.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:51 PM
VRXR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slowstang305
It will need to be taken to a dealer to remove the theft lock. When I did mine it cost me $150 at the dealer.
Trying to avoid that cost.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 PM
VRXR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I must be missing something here. You do not need to remove the Nav screen to remove the radio. The radio is part of the Nav unit.
Just remove the Nav unit asasembly, and plug in the new radio unit in the same place.

Am I missing something. If you are just trying to open the Nav flip screen to replace it with a new one, forget about it. I've tried and it doesn't work. I got the old screen out, but the ribbon was pulled out and it was impossible to get it the new screen back in place. I tried numerous times, with small tools, and I couldn't do it. If you do succeed, please make a PDF out of the process.

If you want to try, just power up the new unit, and flip open the screen , then unplug to keep it open while you take it apart
I am just trying to replace the screen. So you were not able to plug the ribbon cable back into the rear of the nav screen?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 AM
VRXR
Intermediate

I am just trying to replace the screen. So you were not able to plug the ribbon cable back into the rear of the nav screen?
Old 06-11-2017, 12:20 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by VRXR
I wasn't able to, but I didn't try for very long as that was not what I was aiming to do.
I actually removed the door to get the outer screen plastic surround off and replace the one in my car as it has an area around the sound tuning **** that was worn a bit.
Once I removed the door from the old unit, and saw how it came apart, then I thought that I might not be able to remove and replace the one on the working unit without ruining it. I was not going to attempt to ruin the one that worked. It would of been an expensive experiment.
I just put the one I had apart back in a box, and have it for spare parts.

I did solve the wearing issue around the sound tuning ****, without having to remove the door or the screen plastic surround.

If you attempt and succeed, I'd like to know. Keep me informed.

PS I can take a picture of what the unit looks without the door on it. That may give you an indication what you will be dealing with.
Let me know.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-11-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:22 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by slowstang305
Yep but the chances of having two units not working are real high , the ribbon is tough to get lines up correctly ,plus the new radio is a much better unit

Dave
Old 06-13-2017, 12:05 PM
VRXR
Intermediate

I wasn't able to, but I didn't try for very long as that was not what I was aiming to do.
I actually removed the door to get the outer screen plastic surround off and replace the one in my car as it has an area around the sound tuning **** that was worn a bit.
Once I removed the door from the old unit, and saw how it came apart, then I thought that I might not be able to remove and replace the one on the working unit without ruining it. I was not going to attempt to ruin the one that worked. It would of been an expensive experiment.
I just put the one I had apart back in a box, and have it for spare parts.

I did solve the wearing issue around the sound tuning ****, without having to remove the door or the screen plastic surround.

If you attempt and succeed, I'd like to know. Keep me informed.

PS I can take a picture of what the unit looks without the door on it. That may give you an indication what you will be dealing with.
Let me know.
THX for the offer - but I do have pics already of a unit w/o the screen/door on it.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM
VRXR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Yep but the chances of having two units not working are real high , the ribbon is tough to get lines up correctly ,plus the new radio is a much better unit

Dave
Actually the radios are of the same vintage (2012 w/ Nav) - but you are correct that if I mess it up I will have 2 junk radios - good advice.

THX

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the Nav screen on a non installed radio

Quick Reply: Removing the Nav screen on a non installed radio