C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Restrictors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:53 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Wind Restrictors

I am thinking of getting a wind restrictor with the corvette logo engraved and the LED lighting. Just curious to hear from those that have them what they think of the effect they on the wind as well as having them on the car all the time. I have my top down as often as possible and living in Canada it can be cool out and often get that cool breeze coming from behind.

Would you recommend this product? I am in Canada so have to take into account exchange rates and shipping costs.

Last edited by blu_c6; 06-06-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by blu_c6
I am thinking of getting a wind restrictor with the corvette logo engraved and the LED lighting. Just curious to hear from those that have them what they think of the effect they on the wind as well as having them on the car all the time. I have my top down as often as possible and living in Canada it can be cool out and often get that cool breeze coming from behind.

Would you recommend this product? I am in Canada so have to take into account exchange rates and shipping costs.

Hi fellow Canuck. In answer to your question I am in week 2 since installing a custom Wind Restrictor on our 2007 Pace Car. Yes it makes a noticeable difference and since this is my wifes car (who loves top down driving) and I absolutely hated top down due to the wind buffeting it was a happy compromise. I wear hearing aids and the wind buffeting around my head drove me crazy so I used to take them out and put them in the ashtray while riding around.

Wind Restrictor claims a 50% improvement in wind noise, no way to verify without a db meter but it is enough that I notice the improvement and I'm good with that. The weekend after the install we took the car for a 580Km circle route joy ride for the sheer joy of driving and did the whole trip top down.

I ordered our Wind Restrictor from Calgary and was the first customer for a newly appointed western Canadian distributor. If you are interested contact Ashli Corbin at Wind Restrictor and she will refer you to an eastern Canadian distributor. I looked into buying direct and having it shipped to a US border town parcel service I have an account with but chose to go the Canadian supplier instead.

The net result was that the wind restrictor cost nearly $200 more CDN than it would have cost had I purchased it and had it sent to my US address, paid the exchange rate, shipping and duty at the border. In addition I had it shipped to me by Greyhound from Calgary which cost me another $60 since the supplier first offered to ship it for free to a local business as part of their stock order but then ended up sending it to me collect .

I ordered the lighting package which I haven't hooked up yet as I'm waiting for the controller and remote that I ordered from China to arrive. I was able to find the source where Wind Restrictor got their supply and ordered the same thing for 1/3 the cost shipping included. I powered it up recently with a 9V battery to see what it looks like and it sure looks good. I recommend getting the dimmer or an on off switch since at full 12V power it is quite bright and would be a distraction in your mirror when driving at night.

There is no reason to have to remove the wind restrictor as the top and tonneau cover have lots of clearance. I can make the seat backs touch the Wind Restrictor but only by putting them back as far as they go and then fully reclining the backs, a position they never go to anyway. I'm fairly tall but never need my seat that far back or reclined to that position.

I'm glad we have this device now and it makes driving top down much more pleasant. If I were to do it again though I would save the nearly $300 and have it shipped to my US address. I have purchased quite a few Corvette accessories from the US and since I live close to the border I can pop across and pick things up no problem. Much to my surprise when I declared the items they waved me through and didn't even want their PST, GST and import duty even on a $400 item.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Cheers

Last edited by Icecap; 06-06-2017 at 03:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
corvette312 (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 03:55 PM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Wind restrictor

with Ice Cap. I have the same one and I would say about 50 % less wind and noise. Lighting connect in center console cig plug with switch. Looks great at night.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
Thorn811
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I decided to go with the "Wind Restrictor", best part you can leave the Restrictor in the car when putting the top up, When the top is down and your driving at highway speeds you can talk to the person sitting next to you without having to scream. I do not have the lighted one, I went with the smoked glass and the corvette emblem. For me it was worth the money because every time I wanted to have the top down and the wife in the car it was a fight until I got it. Maybe I should have just left the wife home...lol
Old 06-23-2017, 09:57 AM
my1970conv
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap

Hi fellow Canuck. In answer to your question I am in week 2 since installing a custom Wind Restrictor on our 2007 Pace Car. Yes it makes a noticeable difference and since this is my wifes car (who loves top down driving) and I absolutely hated top down due to the wind buffeting it was a happy compromise. I wear hearing aids and the wind buffeting around my head drove me crazy so I used to take them out and put them in the ashtray while riding around.

Wind Restrictor claims a 50% improvement in wind noise, no way to verify without a db meter but it is enough that I notice the improvement and I'm good with that. The weekend after the install we took the car for a 580Km circle route joy ride for the sheer joy of driving and did the whole trip top down.

I ordered our Wind Restrictor from Calgary and was the first customer for a newly appointed western Canadian distributor. If you are interested contact Ashli Corbin at Wind Restrictor and she will refer you to an eastern Canadian distributor. I looked into buying direct and having it shipped to a US border town parcel service I have an account with but chose to go the Canadian supplier instead.

The net result was that the wind restrictor cost nearly $200 more CDN than it would have cost had I purchased it and had it sent to my US address, paid the exchange rate, shipping and duty at the border. In addition I had it shipped to me by Greyhound from Calgary which cost me another $60 since the supplier first offered to ship it for free to a local business as part of their stock order but then ended up sending it to me collect .

I ordered the lighting package which I haven't hooked up yet as I'm waiting for the controller and remote that I ordered from China to arrive. I was able to find the source where Wind Restrictor got their supply and ordered the same thing for 1/3 the cost shipping included. I powered it up recently with a 9V battery to see what it looks like and it sure looks good. I recommend getting the dimmer or an on off switch since at full 12V power it is quite bright and would be a distraction in your mirror when driving at night.

There is no reason to have to remove the wind restrictor as the top and tonneau cover have lots of clearance. I can make the seat backs touch the Wind Restrictor but only by putting them back as far as they go and then fully reclining the backs, a position they never go to anyway. I'm fairly tall but never need my seat that far back or reclined to that position.

I'm glad we have this device now and it makes driving top down much more pleasant. If I were to do it again though I would save the nearly $300 and have it shipped to my US address. I have purchased quite a few Corvette accessories from the US and since I live close to the border I can pop across and pick things up no problem. Much to my surprise when I declared the items they waved me through and didn't even want their PST, GST and import duty even on a $400 item.

That's my 2 cents worth.
Cheers
Hi Icecap, and fellow Canuck

Nice car btw... I have car #497...

I was wondering if you can expand on the seat clearance... does the wind restrictor impede on moving the seat all the way back? You mention that you can make the seat touch the restrictor, but does it touch lightly, or it prevents moving the seat all the way back. At 6'2", 275lbs I put my seat all the way back...

If you have a picture taken from the side to show how much "room" it takes, that would be great.

Thanks for all the information as well on the purchase... I would likely go the route of getting it in the US, from a border shipping service. I'm not very far from Vermont.

But I do like the Indy 500 logo on it...

Can I assume that you're still satisfied by your purchase after this time?

Thanks,
Denis
Old 06-23-2017, 11:47 AM
JerryC5
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 79 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have the Wind Restrictor on my 2010, and I love it. We have made several 5000+ mile trips with the top down, and like Icecap and Thorn811 said it makes a great difference. I have the clear, no logo, no lighting.

The seats don't touch, the top doesn't touch it, install it and forget it. I recommend a stick to hold up the top while you are working on the install, as the hydraulic pressure will leak down , and the top will lower without the stick. Maybe the directions have changed, but I bought mine back in 2010 when they first came out.

some pics;

Bonneville

White Sands, NM

Apache Trail, Superstition Mountains, AZ

my1970conv (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Im happy with mine... And did the same thing as icecap did and got my lighting controller elsewhere and saved...
BUT in my opinion it is still to bright and looks cheesy. Or can i say,, pimp my ride.. lol.... .. And ive tried about three diff remotes to get it turned down.. And all were the same and to bright.. they seem to be finicky about dimming..
So my fix was to put thin amount of black paint on light bar that slides into unit...
my1970conv (06-23-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 PM
blu_c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by my1970conv

I was wondering if you can expand on the seat clearance... does the wind restrictor impede on moving the seat all the way back? You mention that you can make the seat touch the restrictor, but does it touch lightly, or it prevents moving the seat all the way back. At 6'2", 275lbs I put my seat all the way back...

If you have a picture taken from the side to show how much "room" it takes, that would be great.

Thanks for all the information as well on the purchase... I would likely go the route of getting it in the US, from a border shipping service. I'm not very far from Vermont.

Thanks,
Denis

I am 6'4 and with the WindRestrictor only difference I find is getting use to having the plastic between and behind the seats when I want to reach back. I have added 2 pics of how it sits next to the seats.

my1970conv (06-27-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:12 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts

Name:  IMG_1320.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  142.3 KB
Here's mine love it "60th (flags) 427" glows by remote 8 diff. colors

Last edited by hotrod03; 06-26-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:42 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by my1970conv

Thanks,
Denis
Hi Denis, sorry I didn't catch this when you first posted it. Our pace car is number 304 and I belong to the BC Corvette Club where one of our members also as a 2007 Pace car number 297 ours are 7 digits apart which was a rather amusing surprise having 2 of them in the same club. Our Pace car was initially purchased new in Scottsdale AZ.

We acquired our pace car from my brother in-law who was the second owner. He saw the pace car in the showroom of his GM dealer after the original owner traded it in on a new 2014. My brother in law was at the dealer getting his C4 serviced and it was love at first sight when he saw it in the showroom, he had to have it.

He got 2 years of joy out of that car since he was a widower and it was his entire life until he lost his own battle with cancer and we obtained it.

As for the seat clearance we are almost identical in size and weight, I'm 6'1". I can make the seat back touch the Wind Restictor but only if I move the seat back as far as it goes on the tracks and then recline the seat back all the way. If I do that I get an ongoing squeaking as the seat back rubs on the Restrictor. That is not a normal driving position though since the seat back angle in the normal upright position obtained by unlatching the seat back tipping it foreword and then tipping it back to where it locks in place will give you nearly 1" of clearance with the seat back.

As for you last question, yes I'm still very satisfied with it. I was never a convertible fan but my wife was and always has been. When we first met she was driving an Austin-Healey convertible sports car. I hated the wind buffeting so for me the Wind Restrictor was a solution to a dilemma.

Right after I installed the Restrictor we took the car on a circle route drive of about 600 Km's to Whistler and through the mountains to the interior and back all in one day, top down and enjoyed the trip just for the joy of driving this fabulous car. Since then we have done a few more long trips all top down and my wife driving last weekend tested it at 195 Km/hr.

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by Icecap; 06-26-2017 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:12 AM
69 L46 4 Speed
Drifting

Received 452 Likes on 276 Posts

OP: If you are still thinking about a Wind Restrictor. Stop thinking and purchase one. I installed one in my 13 GS right after we bought the car when it was new and we absolutely love it. Mine has the 60th Anniversary emblem engraving and has the single color LED (red) because multi color rotating screams ricer. I wired it into the brake lights. You can cruise top down and hold a conversation without screaming at each other.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 69 L46 4 Speed; 06-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

I put one on the 427. I personally could care less but my wife LOVES it. Now she doesn't complain when we ride topless

A couple of installation notes:
I used an add-a-circuit for power and tapped the wiper motor fuse holder under the passenger footwell. I really don't like to use a vampire tap on the wire loom.
I mounted the light controller with velcro behind the waterfall.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

GM version

Old 06-27-2017, 11:40 AM
blu_c6
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69 L46 4 Speed
OP: If you are still thinking about a Wind Restrictor. Stop thinking and purchase one. I installed one in my 13 GS right after we bought the car when it was new and we absolutely love it. Mine has the 60th Anniversary emblem engraving and has the single color LED (red) because multi color rotating screams ricer. I wired it into the brake lights. You can cruise top down and hold a conversation without screaming at each other.
Purchased and love it. Posted pics above.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:30 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Purchased and love it. Posted pics above.
My experience- reduces air flow, major difference for radio, talking, and air noise with windows up, at higher speeds, like highway. Can't move seat fully back with much reclining or it rubs. Really like it for, don't have to remove, like the look, and it does work, only much better in some conditions with windows up as mentioned.JMO

My switch, works great in or out of the car.

Wired to the console plug, drilled small hole, ran underneath and up behind waterfall. Couple bucks, bought 3 as they seem to run on same frequency. Big A online in LED controllers. Several brightness settings and +or- from those. Several Modes, steady plus several flashing. One color only on this unit.

Last edited by NOWUCME; 07-01-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:04 PM
rakjmk
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installation

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I put one on the 427. I personally could care less but my wife LOVES it. Now she doesn't complain when we ride topless

A couple of installation notes:
I used an add-a-circuit for power and tapped the wiper motor fuse holder under the passenger footwell. I really don't like to use a vampire tap on the wire loom.
I mounted the light controller with velcro behind the waterfall.
I have the same car less the 427. Went to install it today and the seat belt post cover uses the top slot, did yours and how did you fix that?
Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

Those are really cool. You don't suppose they make them for '69 Mustang convertibles, do you?
Old 07-15-2017, 05:59 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Those are really cool. You don't suppose they make them for '69 Mustang convertibles, do you?
Nope sorry, current models only.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:07 PM
Tom_Slick
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Love mine… With the top and windows down the buffeting at highway speed creates pressure around you're head and almost give you head aches. Love mine the older one required you to take it off to raise/ lower the roof and it had to be stored in the trunk, taking up a lot of space… These were designed to stay in place all the time top up or down… I passed on the LED light, I was an early adopter. Mine is clear, they came out with smoked/ tinted ones later on. It would have gone nicely with my tinted windows..

Last edited by Tom_Slick; 07-15-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Wind Restrictors

Quick Reply: Wind Restrictors