C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 01:33 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Pensacola Florida GO GATORS!!! www.rlsebring.com www.c6c7vette.com
Received 174 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket

I've been getting a fair interest in my new lens gasket but seems it may be daunting for most to install.

SO... Depending on the interest expressed here I will consider reproducing the stock gasket. I am already using the factory gasket material with the stock profile (see my other threads here and in "for sale" for pics). Profile is a couple of mils thicker to fill in the void around the headlight and fender/bumper more so than stock.

It will take around 6 to 8 weeks (and money) to produce the first ones. I certainly don't mind but has to be a market to warrant.

2008 Vert

Owned since new in 2007

www.c6c7vette.com

Last edited by RLSebring; 06-08-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:32 AM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

bump
Old 06-09-2017, 07:51 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

I have a spare headlight set I am building right now, in black, and I have a set of your pre-production lenses (nice BTW). I also have an extra set of HL gaskets in excellent shape that I will use with the black lights. If I decide to do my factory VR headlights, I would replace the gaskets new with these, but that's not a definite.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:07 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

i would think that would be a good thing and I'd certainly be interested... Especially if they're a little thicker to fill in the gaps...
Old 06-09-2017, 10:00 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

I would be interested.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

So would I.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:08 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by joec
i would think that would be a good thing and I'd certainly be interested... Especially if they're a little thicker to fill in the gaps...
Fills in the gap nicely

Old 06-09-2017, 10:09 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Need to generate a lot more interest...
Old 06-10-2017, 08:17 AM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by RLSebring
Need to generate a lot more interest...
I understand your challenge. Spent half my career as a manufacturing engineer. I've seen lots of great ideas not make production BC the marketing piece didn't or couldn't work.

In this case, you are talking about a replacement part on a discontinued production car. From a marketing perspective, the size of the entire audience is pretty fixed knowing production numbers, and of that, those no longer in service, etc. Then, will interest be in a form/fit/function or cosmetic need, maybe all.

Right now, you're getting the "wishful" input, but a long way to go to solid purchase commitments. I'm guessing you are probably in the best single place to test market interest. I also think there is a far bigger potential past CF, but how to you reach and "herd" those cats?

All the Best,
Old 06-12-2017, 09:39 PM
RLSebring
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by BlindSpot
I understand your challenge. Spent half my career as a manufacturing engineer. I've seen lots of great ideas not make production BC the marketing piece didn't or couldn't work.

In this case, you are talking about a replacement part on a discontinued production car. From a marketing perspective, the size of the entire audience is pretty fixed knowing production numbers, and of that, those no longer in service, etc. Then, will interest be in a form/fit/function or cosmetic need, maybe all.

Right now, you're getting the "wishful" input, but a long way to go to solid purchase commitments. I'm guessing you are probably in the best single place to test market interest. I also think there is a far bigger potential past CF, but how to you reach and "herd" those cats?

All the Best,

Thanks and you are spot on. It is a niche market for both the lens and gaskets and a finite number of C6's out there.

I redesigned my gasket for my lens to get a better fit, fill in the gap and stay in place. Since I sell my lens with my gasket already installed I suspect the stock gasket won't be much of an issue since the gasket typically doesn't get replaced until the lens gets replaced.

Since GM has stopped producing the gaskets or at least being in a perpetual backorder situation and my lens positioning to be the primary replacement lens and gaskets I don't think the market will last for the stock lens to warrant the cost involved to tool up and produce these.

I have ran a couple of threads over the past couple of weeks and had maybe a dozen members express interest. I run the threads a few more weeks and evaluate it then. For those that have expressed interest I do appreciate it. Spread the word and maybe we can make this worthwhile.

Get notified of new replies

To Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket

Quick Reply: Gauging interest in the stock factory headlight gasket