C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I jack from these points?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:15 AM
crystallinity
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Can I jack from these points?

Hiya, planning on swapping out to a catback exhaust soon. Can I lift just the rear, one side at a time, with the jack lifting ONE point (red circles) - then putting jackstands where the pucks go. Not jacking from the center - just using the jack with nothing above it such as wood or crossbrace.

Just to be clear:
1. Use jack to lift left side crossmember, put jack-stand on left-side car under puck.
2. Use jack to lift right side crossmember, put jack-stand on right-side car under puck.

Thanks!

Last edited by crystallinity; 06-09-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:22 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Received 324 Likes on 247 Posts

Yes. The jack on one side will lift the entire rear enough to put stands on both sides. Don't forget to block the front wheels
The following users liked this post:
crystallinity (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:25 AM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by reasonable suspicion
Yes. The jack on one side will lift the entire rear enough to put stands on both sides. Don't forget to block the front wheels
Thanks. Then why do people use wood/crossbrace and lift from the center? Is it solely for putting jackstands under them on the sides then?

Just curious why it seems to be a lot more popular that it is lifted from the center with wood/brace then jackstands under there, instead of the method I plan on doing it.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:54 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by crystallinity
Thanks. Then why do people use wood/crossbrace and lift from the center? Is it solely for putting jackstands under them on the sides then?

Just curious why it seems to be a lot more popular that it is lifted from the center with wood/brace then jackstands under there, instead of the method I plan on doing it.
It makes them feel better I guess, not really sure. The car is ridgid enough to be lifted from just one side without any damage plus the cup on the jack fits perfectly where you are going to lift preventing it from possibly slipping out.
The following users liked this post:
crystallinity (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:59 AM
crystallinity
Advanced

It makes them feel better I guess, not really sure. The car is ridgid enough to be lifted from just one side without any damage plus the cup on the jack fits perfectly where you are going to lift preventing it from possibly slipping out.
Awesome, that's good to know - thanks again. Is this the same deal on the front as well?
Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Awesome, that's good to know - thanks again. Is this the same deal on the front as well?
Yes to some degree. It will lift both sides but will start to lift off the rear on the same side, so you will have to do one side at a time in front. I always do the rear first though not only because the entire rear will go up enough from one lift spot but also because I'm lowered and the jack won't fit under the front without driving on wood on lifting rear first.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 AM
crystallinity
Advanced

Yes to some degree. It will lift both sides but will start to lift off the rear on the same side, so you will have to do one side at a time in front. I always do the rear first though not only because the entire rear will go up enough from one lift spot but also because I'm lowered and the jack won't fit under the front without driving on wood on lifting rear first.
Gotcha! One last question, promise... metal pucks/metal jackstands. Should I be worried of slippage? For this job, I'll just be raising the rear, not the front. 2 jackstands holding up the rear under the pucks. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:46 AM
2008 Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 766 Likes on 538 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
Default Can I jack from this point

When installing cat back you will have to take the x pipe off at the front to get enough room to take off the OEM cat back. Also the rear sway bar inside bolts removed to swing the sway bar down to clear getting the mufflers out and the new ones in. A bit of work but not to bad.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:53 AM
reasonable suspicion
Melting Slicks

Gotcha! One last question, promise... metal pucks/metal jackstands. Should I be worried of slippage? For this job, I'll just be raising the rear, not the front. 2 jackstands holding up the rear under the pucks. Thanks.
No worries. I wouldn't use the pucks, just hook one side of the c hook on the top of the stand into the holes on the frame, doing that along with blocking the front tires and it can't go anywhere.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

I use the same thing, and place, you are using in the photo to jack up, but mine is wood because I'm too cheap to spring for the metal saddle you have, then I just put jack stands under the wood saddle and remove the jack, works for me
NSF

Old 06-09-2017, 11:13 AM
crystallinity
Advanced

Thanks for the input.

Originally Posted by 2008 Corvette
When installing cat back you will have to take the x pipe off at the front to get enough room to take off the OEM cat back. Also the rear sway bar inside bolts removed to swing the sway bar down to clear getting the mufflers out and the new ones in. A bit of work but not to bad.

I see, so need to lift the front as well to swap the catback?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:29 AM
sabersaw30
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Hiya, planning on swapping out to a catback exhaust soon. Can I lift just the rear, one side at a time, with the jack lifting ONE point (red circles) - then putting jackstands where the pucks go. Not jacking from the center - just using the jack with nothing above it such as wood or crossbrace.

Just to be clear:
1. Use jack to lift left side crossmember, put jack-stand on left-side car under puck.
2. Use jack to lift right side crossmember, put jack-stand on right-side car under puck.

Thanks!

Where did you get the crossbar? I need to get me one of them. That would work on front and back.

Last edited by sabersaw30; 06-09-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM
sabersaw30
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I use the same thing, and place, you are using in the photo to jack up, but mine is wood because I'm too cheap to spring for the metal saddle you have, then I just put jack stands under the wood saddle and remove the jack, works for me
NSF

Good idea!
Old 06-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Where did you get the crossbar? I need to get me one of them. That would work on front and back.
Good ole Harbor Freight has'em
NSF
Old 06-09-2017, 01:56 PM
bravo29
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by sabersaw30
Good idea!
I did the exact same thing. My local safeharbor was out so I went to home dept and made it.

$30 in wood and 30 minutes to make.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:09 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've had the back end up 100's of times and never used a cross bar. I change wheels at the track real often. Just jack up the center of the cradle and both sides come up evenly to put jackstands either on pucks in the shipping slots or on the cradle or just to change both rear tires.

Although I've never checked the height on the front, I don't believe there is enough clearance to get a cross bar under the cradle. I'm quite sure I can't get the jack in from the front when the back is supported on the rear shipping slot locations.

I'd also never attempt to put a jackstand at the shipping slot location on one side and then jack up the opposite side, since during the process there would only be two points supporting the car, not three.

When I need to raise the entire car, I raise the front on one side and put a block under the front wheel, then do the same for the opposite wheel and finally raise the entire back end. and either use blocks or jackstands there. If I need to remove all four wheels, I can get the jack under from the front to remove the blocks and put in jackstands. It may take a bit longer, but it's far more stable.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:47 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

@those asking about the crossbar - I do not have one, that pic is from google so I'm not sure about the specifics, sorry.

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I've had the back end up 100's of times and never used a cross bar. I change wheels at the track real often. Just jack up the center of the cradle and both sides come up evenly to put jackstands either on pucks in the shipping slots or on the cradle or just to change both rear tires.

Although I've never checked the height on the front, I don't believe there is enough clearance to get a cross bar under the cradle. I'm quite sure I can't get the jack in from the front when the back is supported on the rear shipping slot locations.

I'd also never attempt to put a jackstand at the shipping slot location on one side and then jack up the opposite side, since during the process there would only be two points supporting the car, not three.

When I need to raise the entire car, I raise the front on one side and put a block under the front wheel, then do the same for the opposite wheel and finally raise the entire back end. and either use blocks or jackstands there. If I need to remove all four wheels, I can get the jack under from the front to remove the blocks and put in jackstands. It may take a bit longer, but it's far more stable.
You say you just lift it from the center of the cradle - do you put anything there like wood or do you just use the jack directly on the center? Seems to be general consensus on here that can cause damage - not sure myself.

Last edited by crystallinity; 06-09-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:26 AM
ONEBADZ
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

I've jacked the rear of mine up a few times from those same points. Bought the Harbor Freight cross bar. Its solid and mounts right up to my jack.

Get notified of new replies

To Can I jack from these points?

Quick Reply: Can I jack from these points?