C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM
red430
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Question about Stuck in Park

I have a 08 with 55K miles on it . It's been getting stuck in park occasionally over the last few weeks. When I push the shifter forward and squeeze the trigger it unlocks every time. My question is , is this a normal thing for 08s or is it just luck that it unlocks, so far. If anyone has experienced this , I would appreciate your input. THANKS
Old 06-09-2017, 08:04 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by red430
I have a 08 with 55K miles on it . It's been getting stuck in park occasionally over the last few weeks. When I push the shifter forward and squeeze the trigger it unlocks every time. My question is , is this a normal thing for 08s or is it just luck that it unlocks, so far. If anyone has experienced this , I would appreciate your input. THANKS
Do a forum search, "Shifter stuck in park". Lots of results.
Eventually you will not be able to get it to unlock. There is a shifter pawl inside the console that needs to be modified. After reading the search results you will be an expert on the subject!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

break the parking block, it's a little plastic piece, the only issue is, your car will now shift freely when the car is off without the fob in sight
Old 06-11-2017, 08:46 AM
daz88
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was doing that off and on and knew it was a matter of time, yesterday morning stuck and wouldn't come out. So last night took off the console and went to work. no issues anymore
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Mark H
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Lots of post on this problem, but this one is best on how to permanently fix the problem. Thanks to EVRose for taking the time!!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-finally.html
Old 06-11-2017, 08:13 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

[QUOTE=red430;............. When I push the shifter forward and squeeze the trigger it unlocks every time. My question is , is this a normal thing for 08s or is it just luck that it unlocks...........[/QUOTE]

Short answer is yes, even with a new A6 shifter, regardless of year.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 06-11-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:43 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

There is also a fix that doesn't break/permanently disable the parking pawl. Especially helpful for those that understand that this could possibly be a danger.

Instead of breaking or permanently tying back the locking pawl, you can do the same "drill through it and tie it back," but instead drill a hole through the center console with a tether and loop, so when it isn't behaving you can just pull it physically.

The following users liked this post:
68/70Vette (08-18-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:24 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Question: How long does it take from first noticed till it becomes permanent? Mine has been doing this for about 2 years and 20K miles now. Most of the time it works fine but occasionally it hangs so that I have to push slightly forward. And testing indicates it is more likely dirt because after repeatedly exercising the solenoid I can even pull back and it still clicks. I just don't want to waste the time pulling the console if it is a minor annoyance.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:41 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Mine took about 35,000 miles from the first time it stuck until when it became often enough that I had no choice but to modify it. I was lucky in that mine didn't start sticking until I already had 200,000 miles on the car.

From everything people have posted about, it is progressive and will get worse, and my experience agrees.

There are quite a few threads with pictures of the process, and really isn't difficult at all to do. It even gave me the opportunity to paint the radio/Air conditioning surround to match the car.
The following users liked this post:
FortMorganAl (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:48 AM
Jon Hekking
Race Director

Received 241 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

The Carfax for my 06 shows the shifter assembly was replaced a month before I got the car. Were any changes made to the newer shifter assembly units to prevent this issue or could it happen again?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Question: How long does it take from first noticed till it becomes permanent? Mine has been doing this for about 2 years and 20K miles now. Most of the time it works fine but occasionally it hangs so that I have to push slightly forward. And testing indicates it is more likely dirt because after repeatedly exercising the solenoid I can even pull back and it still clicks. I just don't want to waste the time pulling the console if it is a minor annoyance.
I guess its like everything else along these lines. It's just a minor annoyance until it bites you in the A$$ permanently. I did like you and just "fiddled" with it for about a year and kept getting lucky with it eventually coming free. But logic dictates that it's only gonna get worse and then sooner or later you get stuck. My fear was having the thing go for good while waiting in a drive through or some real inconvenient spot . So I fixed it and now all I have to worry about is the darn shift cable dilemma leaving me stranded somewhere......Thanks GM.....
Old 06-12-2017, 10:52 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 141 Posts

I put a post on here with photos a while back showing how to use fishing line and tie it to a key chain holder so you can manually override it by lifting the console lid and pulling on it similar to the photos shown in the post above. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...od-for-a6.html

However, I'm a bit perplexed about where the actual microswitch is that controls this. I'd like to locate the switch and fix it so I don't have to do this. Last time I took the console apart, I found two separate microswitches that engage when the lever is in park, but when activating them both, I still had the issue of it not always releasing. When I check the service manual, it only shows one switch associated with the lockout mechanism, so now I'm thinking maybe there is a third switch I overlooked. I'll try to take it apart again when I have time, and if I can find the switch that is responsible for it failing, I'll take photos of it and see if I can find a way to resolve it.
Attached Images  

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-12-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:53 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I always push the shifter forward to release that tension prior to squeezing the trigger to move it. It has never failed when doing that. I personally believe it is when people fight this tension to move the shifter that things break. Just a quirk of Auto C6 shifters, along with some other GM cars I have driven.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Arkyvette
I always push the shifter forward to release that tension prior to squeezing the trigger to move it. It has never failed when doing that. I personally believe it is when people fight this tension to move the shifter that things break. Just a quirk of Auto C6 shifters, along with some other GM cars I have driven.
I used to think this was the problem too until I took it apart and examined what was happening. The problem appears to be a micro-switch is not being "made" until you push slightly forward on the shift lever. Pressure on the lock mechanism is not the problem, it is an electrical issue. The shift lock control solenoid doesn't get a ground until the park switch is closed.

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
Arkyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Even if you hear it clicking with the brake pedal? I can get mine out of Park no matter what with the foot on the brakes, it is just stiffer unless I push forward on it. With foot off the brakes, it won't go no matter what. I would assume that solenoid is working on mine.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:58 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

The problem many folks are having is that that solenoid doesn't release when they apply the brakes, so the car can't be shifted out of park, regardless of applying the brakes.

In many cases, pushing and holding the shifter as far forward as it will go will allow the shift lock control solenoid to release when you apply the brakes.

My hunch is that the park microswitch is not being "made' or closed until the shifter is forced forward which means the shift lock control solenoid doesn't have a ground. It doesn't happen on all cars, but the problem seems to be getting more and more common, so I suspect there is a component wear issue coming into play.

If your shift lock control solenoid is activating properly, you should be able to hear it click when the car is in park and you apply the brakes. In this case, yours is working fine. The ones who have problems won't hear a click.

Last edited by CSixDude; 06-12-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:23 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

See this thread

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...use-found.html

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Stuck in Park

Old 06-13-2017, 08:40 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
You're the man!!! I am humbled by your persistence in solving this issue. I was wrong. It is not dirt. If is a simple alignment issue. I should have realized this because I knew the click could be heard both by pushing forward and ALSO by pulling back to deenergize the solenoid. Dirt wouldn't do that. But your experimentation and solution fits all the symptoms.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:10 PM
pfloor
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
You're the man!!! I am humbled by your persistence in solving this issue. I was wrong. It is not dirt. If is a simple alignment issue. I should have realized this because I knew the click could be heard both by pushing forward and ALSO by pulling back to deenergize the solenoid. Dirt wouldn't do that. But your experimentation and solution fits all the symptoms.
You should revisit that thread, there is more information posted. It is more than just an alignment or adjustment issue. The micro switches go bad and will not "close" even when they hit the appropriate "click" position. The switches are cheap and wear out. GM should have invested more than $1.50 on those microswitches!

I replaced mine and it works like new now, no more "push forward" to get it out of park.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:29 PM
red430
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Where did you buy the micro switches ?

Quick Reply: Question about Stuck in Park