C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP vs SLP LoudMouth II - input?

Old 06-10-2017, 11:17 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default NPP vs SLP LoudMouth II - input?

Hiya - did some searching but couldn't find a comparison between these two. I took out the fuse for my NPP - and it does sound a lot better now below the trigger range over stock. I'm used to riding sportbikes with pretty loud exhausts, so I'm craving a bit more sound.

I have read about the LM II drone, and I'm fine with that. I've also read about people complaining about the NPP drone and that's why they have the mild-2-wild switch, but I never get close to getting annoyed by the NPP on 'wild' the whole time, so it seems my tolerance is a bit higher than average already. BTW, the car is stock, no aftermarket headers.

Anyhow - is there anyone here who had the NPP and put on the LM2 and can share if it's a significantly louder or not? Don't want to buy it and put it on if there's not going to be much of a sound increase. I'm 24 and I like noise, forgive me.

Thank you!

(2008 C6)

Last edited by crystallinity; 06-10-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by crystallinity
Hiya - did some searching but couldn't find a comparison between these two. I took out the fuse for my NPP - and it does sound a lot better now below the trigger range over stock. I'm used to riding sportbikes with pretty loud exhausts, so I'm craving a bit more sound.

I have read about the LM II drone, and I'm fine with that. I've also read about people complaining about the NPP drone and that's why they have the mild-2-wild switch, but I never get close to getting annoyed by the NPP on 'wild' the whole time, so it seems my tolerance is a bit higher than average already. BTW, the car is stock, no aftermarket headers.

Anyhow - is there anyone here who had the NPP and put on the LM2 and can share if it's a significantly louder or not? Don't want to buy it and put it on if there's not going to be much of a sound increase. I'm 24 and I like noise, forgive me.

Thank you!

(2008 C6)
Just an idea for your consideration;
I assume the aftermarket exhaust you are talking about is as pricey as some of the others, if that's correct and you want more "sound" have you considered a quality headers system and retain the NPP giving you the best of both worlds ?? Cost maybe a tad more and the sound considerably more
Heres mine with Kooks 1 3/4, catted Xpipe, 3 X 2.5 on a dyno.
Good luck
NSF
Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
...have you considered a quality headers system and retain the NPP giving you the best of both worlds...

100%. If I wasn't in California I would have headers no question. While it may cost slightly more than a new cat back, the performance gains is more than worth it.

Last edited by Homer3D; 06-11-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:47 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Just an idea for your consideration;
I assume the aftermarket exhaust you are talking about is as pricey as some of the others, if that's correct and you want more "sound" have you considered a quality headers system and retain the NPP giving you the best of both worlds ?? Cost maybe a tad more and the sound considerably more
Heres mine with Kooks 1 3/4, catted Xpipe, 3 X 2.5 on a dyno.
Good luck
NSF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3QlzkuivtM
Damn, that sounds real good. The LM2 is gonna be no more than $500 since I'd be buying it used.. headers are around like $1500 no?
Old 06-11-2017, 03:18 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Damn, that sounds real good. The LM2 is gonna be no more than $500 since I'd be buying it used.. headers are around like $1500 no?
Yep correct, maybe better off with your plan, it was just an idea
NSF
Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Not sure what slp loudmouth I heard the other day but the dang thing was offensively loud. No comparison to the stock NPP system.
if you've boot heard it in person you better check before you buy.
it was loud too the point of I felt like I was at the drag strip.
The following users liked this post:
crystallinity (06-11-2017)
Old 06-11-2017, 10:56 PM
02_NHRA_TA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what's the diameter for the stock exhaust vs the slp LM?
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by Elijah71
Not sure what slp loudmouth I heard the other day but the dang thing was offensively loud. No comparison to the stock NPP system.
Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. Just purchased

Last edited by crystallinity; 06-11-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:07 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Originally Posted by 02_NHRA_TA
Just out of curiosity, what's the diameter for the stock exhaust vs the slp LM?
If I'm not mistaken, they are both 2.5in for the 05-08.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:24 PM
02_NHRA_TA
Instructor

If I'm not mistaken, they are both 2.5in for the 05-08.
That's what I thought. I didn't like how quiet the stock exhaust on my 05 base was but didn't want to spend north of $500 for a better sound so I just got the lm 2 bullet mufflers to replace the stock ones and I'm pretty happy with the sound. My neighbor saw me the other day and told me I wake him up every time I start the car in the mornings
​​​
Old 06-11-2017, 11:55 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

That's what I thought. I didn't like how quiet the stock exhaust on my 05 base was but didn't want to spend north of $500 for a better sound so I just got the lm 2 bullet mufflers to replace the stock ones and I'm pretty happy with the sound. My neighbor saw me the other day and told me I wake him up every time I start the car in the mornings
​​​
LOL! Is your method louder than the full axle-back system? I can't imagine it would be too different...
Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 AM
02_NHRA_TA
Instructor

LOL! Is your method louder than the full axle-back system? I can't imagine it would be too different...
It's a noticeable difference than the stock setup. I haven't been on a c6 with an aftermarket full system so I couldn't tell you about that but for ~$250 I'm happy with the results.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 AM
jaybee924
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 84 Posts

It's a noticeable difference than the stock setup. I haven't been on a c6 with an aftermarket full system so I couldn't tell you about that but for ~$250 I'm happy with the results.
I'm sure that thing drones and pops a lot, do you like that? That's not a bad price at all.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:57 AM
kronix
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Elijah71
I'm sure that was SLP's LM 1, sounds just below open pipes. It's much louder than the LM II. Here's a supercharged Camaro SS I built a few years back with the LM II on it. Granted it was cammed & had Kooks LT's but you can get an idea of the note.

Last edited by kronix; 06-12-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:01 AM
02_NHRA_TA
Instructor

Originally Posted by jaybee924
I'm sure that thing drones and pops a lot, do you like that? That's not a bad price at all.
There is drone around 60mph but, to me, it's not that bad. I might be used to it since I had a loudmouth cat back system on my 02 Trans Am for a few years. Haven't really noticed that much pop to be honest.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:53 AM
LSX228R
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had both and NPP, off road x, long tubes and m2w is the way to go.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:15 PM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have LT's, and 3" all the way back (offroad xpipe and modded z06 NPP) and it's not that loud at all to me compared to some of my old cars (mustangs and camaros).

Last edited by Tribaltalon; 06-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Tribaltalon
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What i'll probably end up doing is just leaving this alone and doing some QTP low pro cutouts right before the mufflers. Then i'll have quiet, semi-loud and stupid loud as volume options. lol
Old 06-16-2017, 01:56 PM
crystallinity
Advanced

Reporting back in, LM II installed. Drone is not bad at all, guess its the automatic tranny that makes it unbearable since I have the M6. Also, cruising/idle isn't that loud, sounds nice at WOT and mid/heavy throttle though! Thanks for the input - install wasn't too bad either. Aligning the tips was the hardest part...

Get notified of new replies

To NPP vs SLP LoudMouth II - input?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NPP vs SLP LoudMouth II - input?