C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toddlers in C6????

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 AM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Toddlers in C6???? Updated w pics

I realize our cars now days have weight sensors to turn off airbags in front seat.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old grandson that LOVES his Poppa T's Corvette and everytime he is out our house he loves to get in the Vette and (sits on passenger side) and "push the button ". It appears he loves the sound of the open dual mode exhaust

I have taken him around the block in our neighborhood several times, buckled in and never more than 10-15 mph and the grin on his face is priceless

My question is when is the appropriate age to put his car seat in the C6 and taken him out for a cruise or is that ok now. Wife argued about air bags and I explained and showed her the airbag not on light

There is a Fathers Day Car show this weekend and he is staying with us since his parents (My son is a HUGE ATL Braves fan) are going to the Braves game and I thought about taking him in the Vette.

It will be all urban driving with speed never more than 45 max

Just curious to what age/size others have done this

Last edited by tprice; 06-19-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice
I realize our cars now days have weight sensors to turn off airbags in front seat.

I have a 2 1/2 yr old grandson that LOVES his Poppa T's Corvette and everytime he is out our house he loves to get in the Vette and (sits on passenger side) and "push the button ". It appears he loves the sound of the open dual mode exhaust

I have taken him around the block in our neighborhood several times, buckled in and never more than 10-15 mph and the grin on his face is priceless

My question is when is the appropriate age to put his car seat in the C6 and taken him out for a cruise or is that ok now. Wife argued about air bags and I explained and showed her the airbag not on light

There is a Fathers Day Car show this weekend and he is staying with us since his parents (My son is a HUGE ATL Braves fan) are going to the Braves game and I thought about taking him in the Vette.

It will be all urban driving with speed never more than 45 max

Just curious to what age/size others have done this
Once he meets the weight and height requirements for a booster seat. I wouldn't recommend anything younger than 5 years. Remember, children are safer in the back. Your speed doesn't matter if the other drivers are speeding, texting and not paying attention.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 08:55 AM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

Check your states laws. In the majority states they must be 12 check out this site for state by state requirements,

http://www.ghsa.org/state-laws/issue...ssenger-Safety
Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I think as long as they're in the proper seat with the restraints attached, you're good. Just NO REAR FACING seats (which I think is for infants mostly). May get some dirty looks, but the manual says it's fine! Look for yourself! It's the same laws for single cab trucks, which were all there was for years.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I have a 4 yr old son and a 5 yr old daughter that love spending special alone time with Daddy in his "silver car". My son even named her "Lulu the Thunderpig". I just put in their front facing booster seat and away we go. Neither of them are heavy enough to turn on the airbag. I've actually received a lot of positive comments from other parents at car meet events.

As some of the others have said, it's no different than a single cab truck. As far as snow's post regarding state laws - those laws are written assuming the vast majority of personal cars have a back seat. If you look hard enough, you'll also find that while most or all of those states also have seat belt laws, they very likely do not apply to vehicles that were not equipped with OEM seatbelts or had aftermarket seatbelts installed and were built prior to seatbelt law mandates.

Edit: Also taken from that GHSA website snow posted about:

"Many laws require all children to ride in the rear seat whenever possible, and most states permit children over a particular age, height or weight to use an adult safety belt."

Last edited by drew_c6; 06-12-2017 at 09:31 AM.
snow (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:27 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

It would have never occurred to me that there could be an issue.

In Washington State you just turn off the airbag and make sure he is properly secured in a car seat and you are good to go.

I would have no problem taking my Granddaughter out if she showed an interest in the car.
drew_c6 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Welker1
Melting Slicks

Received 555 Likes on 464 Posts

I started taking my youngest granddaughter for drives when she was 2 years old. Used a front facing car seat and the air bag light indicated it was off. As she got older, we progressed to a booster seat and now, at 7 she is big enough to sit in the seat itself. She loved going for rides in grandpa's 'race car' and still does
Old 06-12-2017, 10:02 AM
airforcex
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by drew_c6
I have a 4 yr old son and a 5 yr old daughter that love spending special alone time with Daddy in his "silver car". My son even named her "Lulu the Thunderpig". I just put in their front facing booster seat and away we go. Neither of them are heavy enough to turn on the airbag. I've actually received a lot of positive comments from other parents at car meet events.

As some of the others have said, it's no different than a single cab truck. As far as snow's post regarding state laws - those laws are written assuming the vast majority of personal cars have a back seat. If you look hard enough, you'll also find that while most or all of those states also have seat belt laws, they very likely do not apply to vehicles that were not equipped with OEM seatbelts or had aftermarket seatbelts installed and were built prior to seatbelt law mandates.

Edit: Also taken from that GHSA website snow posted about:

"Many laws require all children to ride in the rear seat whenever possible, and most states permit children over a particular age, height or weight to use an adult safety belt."
I actually asked an officer and he highlighted the "whenever possible." Corvettes are daily drivers for many. Just make sure you have whatever restraint is required!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks and he will/would be in a front facing proper car seat as required by SC law.

My understanding is that the air bag is the main issue which is why cars now have weight sensors or at least that is what I thought

Last edited by tprice; 06-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Just so I understand this, at some point both car seat and child will weigh enough to cause the airbag to deploy in worst-case situation, right? At what age, or weight or both, are kids allowed to sit in the front seat in your state and have an airbag explode toward them?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I've been carrying my now 5 year old in the front seat of my Vette in a car seat for over 2 years on weekends. She loves it and frankly it's probably safer than the back seat of my small truck that has terrible side crash ratings.

She means everything to me, and of course I'm sensitive to her safety. But she can't live life in an absolute bubble and there are some risks. I did intentionally search out a car seat that had the wrap around halo for her head/ neck as I think the most dangerous aspect mostly out of my control would be someone T boning the passenger door.

~ take care
Old 06-12-2017, 01:14 PM
BAAD LS2
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2017 C6 of Year

Took my almost 7 month old for his first ride in the vette this weekend. He was in his rear facing seat, just the same as he is when I take him in my single cab pickup truck.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:22 PM
drew_c6
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
Just so I understand this, at some point both car seat and child will weigh enough to cause the airbag to deploy in worst-case situation, right? At what age, or weight or both, are kids allowed to sit in the front seat in your state and have an airbag explode toward them?

The NHTSA references ages 12 and under should be placed in the rear seat.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...mendations.pdf
Old 06-19-2017, 09:27 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

He had a BLAST

Name:  IMG_3261.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  409.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0399.JPG
Views: 752
Size:  103.4 KB
HammerheadTed (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 09:30 PM
tprice
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Name:  IMG_0400.JPG
Views: 629
Size:  66.7 KB
HammerheadTed (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:53 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Glad you guys had a great time. I've been busy the last several weeks and my son has been chomping at the bit for another Daddy-Son Day in the Vette.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:54 PM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tprice

so cute lol

Get notified of new replies

To Toddlers in C6????

Old 06-20-2017, 02:00 PM
ls1wolf
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 111 Posts

Been taking my (now 3) little guy for rides since he was 15 months old. He loves going for rides

JadeRaven (04-23-2018)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM
04DarkShadowGT
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My five year old rides in mine all the time. The latch system is there for a reason.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Welker1
I started taking my youngest granddaughter for drives when she was 2 years old. Used a front facing car seat and the air bag light indicated it was off. As she got older, we progressed to a booster seat and now, at 7 she is big enough to sit in the seat itself. She loved going for rides in grandpa's 'race car' and still does
Please, please, make sure the seat belt fits her correctly. In my state, booster seats are required until 8. My son, who is off-the-charts tall (99.9% in height) probably could only ride in about 40% of cars at 8 years old and have the seatbelt lay properly, although the Corvette was one of them. The magic number many states have settled on is 4'9" to get out of a booster, which is probably as good as a guideline as any, and a 7 year old girl would also have to be off the charts tall to be that height. Maybe the Corvette does work out for her, but don't just go by your state's law if it is one of the ones that is lax.

Originally Posted by AORoads
On most GM cars, the airbag sensor isn't just a weight sensor. It measures the distribution of the weight to determine if there is a child seat there. They use a few different systems I believe, not sure what the Corvette uses.

Either way (and i know this wasn't your point, just noting it) the airbag on/off thing is federal standard, and if GM wasn't meeting it, they wouldn't be selling it. Whatever those requirements are, one would hope someone has made am intelligent determination the airbags will do more good than harm at that point.

Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT
My five year old rides in mine all the time. The latch system is there for a reason.
Just as a note for those coming across this thread, the C6 is all over the place with Latch. I believe between lower anchors and top tether, the coupes, convertibles, and fixed roofs all have different configurations, with the coupe being complete with lower and top anchors. Watch the LATCH weight limit however, as GM specifies a total of 65 pounds with the kid and seat together. After that, you may need the seatbelt routing for a forward facing non-booster.

On a personal note, I wouldn't put a rear facing seat in there. While it is legal to do so, you are putting the kids life in the hands of the airbag system, because if it does go off, there will be serious injury or worse to the kid.

Forward facing is less of a problem if the airbag goes off when it shouldn't, particularly if the seat is all the way back as recommended.

Glad it worked out for the OP, and we have nice pictures as well!

Quick Reply: Toddlers in C6????