C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Destin Florida. Tell me about it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:15 AM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Moving to Destin Florida. Tell me about it.

Hey everyone. I'm moving to the Destin Florida area (more like Eglin AFB actually) and will finally be reunited with my Vette come October after leaving it the states for a two year tour in Guam. Already been doing some research but would love to hear from you guys.

Looking for a good performance shop incase I ever need to take my car somewhere. My car is fairly tuned already with an A&A S/C, cam, full exhaust, full fuel system, and a lot of power. I checked both A&A's website and ECS's website for authorized installers hoping they might be a decent shop. Closest I could find to Destin was XXX Motorsports (A&A installer) in Pensacola. Anyone use them? I do a lot of work myself but always like to have a good shop for a backup plan, lol. Future work for the car might include new tranny and diff, new fuel pump (thinking of switching A1000 for Fore duel pumps) and possible engine rebuild with rods and pistons, ARP head studs and bolts all around, and LS9 head gasket just for peace of mind when I step on the gas.

I found Emerald Coast Cars and Coffee, any member here go to it? I plan on going to the first one to check out the crowd and cars so maybe I'll meet some CF members.

Also, and don't hate me, but a classic mustang is in my future, something 1967 or older. I've always wanted one and can finally afford it, so I'm checking out decent cars in the $20K to $30K range. Something that doesn't need a ton of work right off the bat, but I can still upgrade in area's like suspension, brakes, engine, and interior. I love working on cars so love having something to play with, I just don't do rust repair, lol. Anyways, if anyone can recommend shops with classic cars in mind, a good engine shop since I'll most likely pull and rebuild the motor, a good upholstery shop, and maybe body shop. Not sure if I'll need any of these shops since I don't know what car I'm getting yet, but I like to have places at the ready.

Anyways, thanks for any and all reply's. Love this community and can't wait to get back to the states for some cruisin again.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:16 AM
drew_c6
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirteater19
Hey everyone. I'm moving to the Destin Florida area (more like Eglin AFB actually) and will finally be reunited with my Vette come October after leaving it the states for a two year tour in Guam. Already been doing some research but would love to hear from you guys.

Looking for a good performance shop incase I ever need to take my car somewhere. My car is fairly tuned already with an A&A S/C, cam, full exhaust, full fuel system, and a lot of power. I checked both A&A's website and ECS's website for authorized installers hoping they might be a decent shop. Closest I could find to Destin was XXX Motorsports (A&A installer) in Pensacola. Anyone use them? I do a lot of work myself but always like to have a good shop for a backup plan, lol. Future work for the car might include new tranny and diff, new fuel pump (thinking of switching A1000 for Fore duel pumps) and possible engine rebuild with rods and pistons, ARP head studs and bolts all around, and LS9 head gasket just for peace of mind when I step on the gas.

I found Emerald Coast Cars and Coffee, any member here go to it? I plan on going to the first one to check out the crowd and cars so maybe I'll meet some CF members.

Also, and don't hate me, but a classic mustang is in my future, something 1967 or older. I've always wanted one and can finally afford it, so I'm checking out decent cars in the $20K to $30K range. Something that doesn't need a ton of work right off the bat, but I can still upgrade in area's like suspension, brakes, engine, and interior. I love working on cars so love having something to play with, I just don't do rust repair, lol. Anyways, if anyone can recommend shops with classic cars in mind, a good engine shop since I'll most likely pull and rebuild the motor, a good upholstery shop, and maybe body shop. Not sure if I'll need any of these shops since I don't know what car I'm getting yet, but I like to have places at the ready.

Anyways, thanks for any and all reply's. Love this community and can't wait to get back to the states for some cruisin again.

20 years ago, I did my Air Force Intel training in Pensacola and have been back to that area numerous times since with the last trip just being 7 or 8 months ago. The whole Destin/Pcola area is awesome - if you like warmer weather, beautiful beaches, and a fairly relaxed lifestyle, you'll love it.

I haven't been there in almost 15 years, but during one of my trips down there, I bought a brand new 2002 Trans Am WS.6 and dealt with XXX Motorsports a few times. "Back in the Day", they were one of the premier LSX speed shops in the area and I would have recommended them for both speed/mod work and window tints over any other. However, like I said, it's been a while and I don't know how their reputation has faired over the years.

With the introduction of the LS1 motor, the speed shops and number of insanely fast cars blew the hell up around that area. My suggestion would be to get involved in a LSX/Fbody/Corvette club and see where the locals direct you.

On a side note, there was, and I imagine there still is, a very large, active street racing community in that area. It became such a problem a number of years ago that they changed some of the street racing-related laws. If you get involved, be careful. The laws, the police, and the other idiots that don't necessarily know how to drive/control their cars will not work in your favor. Better yet, there are at least two 1/8 mile drag strips between Panama City and Daphne, AL. There used to be one in Holt as well, but I recently read it was closed. For road tracks, I think the closest might be all the way up near Atlanta.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 06-13-2017, 10:19 AM
GaVette61
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Lucky dog, have fun!
The following users liked this post:
Dirteater19 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 10:20 AM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Was just thru that area in March with the Corvette Club. Nice enough area, tourist trap. I'm sure some of the Navy guys in Pensacola can give you some advice on a shop.
The following users liked this post:
Dirteater19 (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:08 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Was on the base last year with a civic leaders tour from Barksdale. We flew over on a refueler and spent the day touring the different areas on base. Growing up in New Orleans, we vacationed there every year. Beautiful area that I'm considering for retirement down the road.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:15 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

It's really nice. White sand beaches. Shopping centers. Tourists. Beach traffic. Think there's a Vette car show there every year. Maybe Sandestin
Old 06-13-2017, 04:32 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Great place on the Emerald Coast. There are two Cruzin the Coast shows a year about 40 miles East at Pier Park in Panama City Beach. There is also a big Corvette Club in the area, Emerald Coast Corvette Club which has about 100 members I am told. Look here on the Forum under the Southeast Region section for contact information. Living on the Emerald Coast of Florida is like living in paradise, you are a lucky guy.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Awesome, Thanks for the help. XXX seems to have decent reviews. I do my best not to street race, too much on the line with my career, let alone my car and my life. Every once in a while some A-hole in a coffee can exhaust civic thinks he's fast and I'll do a pull to show him off, but usually the sound of the blow off valve will keep people at bay, lol. I was looking for a quarter mile track, I hate 1/8th milers. I'll see whats around. Thanks for the suggestion on finding a LSX or Vette group, I will definitely keep an eye out. I usually don't fit into corvette clubs being only 29 years old, lol.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Vet With A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I was stationed there about 7 years ago. It is a very beautiful place. I would love to retire there some day.

I don't have any info on tuners in the area unfortunately.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Originally Posted by myredhead1
Was on the base last year with a civic leaders tour from Barksdale. We flew over on a refueler and spent the day touring the different areas on base. Growing up in New Orleans, we vacationed there every year. Beautiful area that I'm considering for retirement down the road.
I actually did my tech school there 10 years ago so I'm semi-familiar with the area already, I loved it then and I think I'll love it now. Back then though I was so focused on tech school and didn't even own a car, I never got a chance to check out shops and the car scene. This time around will be a different story
Old 06-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
It's really nice. White sand beaches. Shopping centers. Tourists. Beach traffic. Think there's a Vette car show there every year. Maybe Sandestin
I sure hope so!
Old 06-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Dirteater19
Instructor

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Great place on the Emerald Coast. There are two Cruzin the Coast shows a year about 40 miles East at Pier Park in Panama City Beach. There is also a big Corvette Club in the area, Emerald Coast Corvette Club which has about 100 members I am told. Look here on the Forum under the Southeast Region section for contact information. Living on the Emerald Coast of Florida is like living in paradise, you are a lucky guy.
Fantastic! I will check them out. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I've been here since November 2000. I retired from active duty in 2002 and landed a contractor job. Are you active duty? I'm involved with lots of the Corvette community here so I have an idea what goes on. We can take this to PM or email and I can go into more details with you. I think you'll like this area. Shoot me a PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:40 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

We rented a house on the beach down there a year ago and the white sand and emerald green clear water can't be beat!
Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
We rented a house on the beach down there a year ago and the white sand and emerald green clear water can't be beat!
we go every year ...going next week ...it's my happy place
Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Destin Florida. Tell me about it.

Quick Reply: Moving to Destin Florida. Tell me about it.