C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hankooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 PM
JohnR2000
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Hankooks

Discount Tire just installed my new tires this morning. They broke one of the sensors which they replaced at no charge. Wheels were filthy when I left so I pulled into the Lowes parking lot next door under a shade tree and started cleaning them. Noticed they also destroyed 2 of the C6 decals on the center caps. I know they had to remove them for the balance machine but come on. How does that even happen?

I am happy with the tires just for the few miles I drove on them. Replaced the original Goodyears. That's it. I'm through complaining.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:12 PM
eshuber
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry they messed up your wheels - I won't use Discount for that reason - and past bad experiences with them. They are a slop shop IMO.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:52 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,887 Likes on 1,910 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by eshuber
Sorry they messed up your wheels - I won't use Discount for that reason - and past bad experiences with them. They are a slop shop IMO.

The one in Mansfield Tx is also but the shop on S Cooper in Arlington Tx always treats my car right. Great Manager there.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

When I bought my new Hankooks last year I made damned sure that the upper echelon knew I was very concerned and very **** about my Corvette. They did a pretty good job I must admit, maybe me standing there watching was key I don't know. had them road force balanced also.
Now my truck which I just had rotated and WOL turned outwards was not so, in fact one of the tires wound up right back where it was
It seems to depend on how busy they are and our store is super busy now
NSF
PS I love the Hankooks
The following users liked this post:
John 511 (02-16-2018)
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM
JJLAI724
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Discount Tires in Fremont CA is off the hook. They let me come in an hour early when I need tires for my trailers and they treat all my cars and trucks just fine. Never had an issue with them.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:47 PM
Ruby Supercar
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnR2000
Discount Tire just installed my new tires this morning. They broke one of the sensors which they replaced at no charge. Wheels were filthy when I left so I pulled into the Lowes parking lot next door under a shade tree and started cleaning them. Noticed they also destroyed 2 of the C6 decals on the center caps. I know they had to remove them for the balance machine but come on. How does that even happen?

I am happy with the tires just for the few miles I drove on them. Replaced the original Goodyears. That's it. I'm through complaining.
Les Schwab Does it right every time. They are the only ones besides the Chevy garage that I let touch my supercar C5. All my vehicles for that matter. Brakes, front end and suspension stuff, they treat it like their own, and don't try to up-sell or gouge you. Not the cheapest, but they're worth it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:31 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I do business with a Discount Tire close to my house and they always let me stay in the shop with my car. If you're watching, they're more careful.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:57 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I've had mine over a month and much happier with the Hankooks than I ever was with the Goodyears. I am done with Goodyear for any of my cars.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 06-14-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by eshuber
I never really had a bad experience with America’s Tire (Discount Tire here in California) with any of my cars.

There was this one time where I did the entire order online and removed the “TPMS Rebuild Kit” they automatically put on my order. I removed it because with the age/mileage I know it didn’t need it. Came in for the install, handed my credit card over and the receipt I was asked to sign I saw it was added back. I told the clerk, I did not ask for the “TPMS Rebuild Kit” and I specifically removed it from my order (showing him my online invoice). He then mentioned that they already did the rebuild at which I replied, “I don’t care. You added something to my order I didn’t ask for and now you want me to pay for it? Not going to happen.”

After a little back and forth, he removed the charge. I mean I think it was only like $40 but it was more the principle of it. I feel if a shop is going to add/change something to the original order they should clear it with the customer first. Especially if said change comes at an additional cost.

In any case, I had the Hankooks on my 2005 C6 and loved them. Way better than the stock run flats

Originally Posted by Ruby Supercar
Les Schwab Does it right every time. They are the only ones besides the Chevy garage that I let touch my supercar C5. All my vehicles for that matter. Brakes, front end and suspension stuff, they treat it like their own, and don't try to up-sell or gouge you. Not the cheapest, but they're worth it.
I had a very different experience with Les Schwab. My wife was complaining of the car shaking at freeway speeds. Thinking it just needed an alignment or maybe a tire balance, I brought it to Les Schwab. They put the car up on the rack and they found one of the tires was separating from the belt itself and needed to be replaced. Tires were around 35k miles so it made sense just to replace them all. He comes back with a quote of over $2k for my wife’s VW beetle. I seriously laughed in his face as there was no way tires for a beetle were $500 each. I asked him what tire and I look at the same tire on Tirerack. The tire online was something like $130/tire and asked him to match. He refused saying this is our price take it or leave it. So told him to put the car down and I left. Went to local tire shop (not a chain) about 3 blocks away. Got 4 new tires, installed, out the door for just a little over $500. That was my first time at Les Schwab and will never return again.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Ruby Supercar
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer3D
I never really had a bad experience with America’s Tire (Discount Tire here in California) with any of my cars.

There was this one time where I did the entire order online and removed the “TPMS Rebuild Kit” they automatically put on my order. I removed it because with the age/mileage I know it didn’t need it. Came in for the install, handed my credit card over and the receipt I was asked to sign I saw it was added back. I told the clerk, I did not ask for the “TPMS Rebuild Kit” and I specifically removed it from my order (showing him my online invoice). He then mentioned that they already did the rebuild at which I replied, “I don’t care. You added something to my order I didn’t ask for and now you want me to pay for it? Not going to happen.”

After a little back and forth, he removed the charge. I mean I think it was only like $40 but it was more the principle of it. I feel if a shop is going to add/change something to the original order they should clear it with the customer first. Especially if said change comes at an additional cost.

In any case, I had the Hankooks on my 2005 C6 and loved them. Way better than the stock run flats

I had a very different experience with Les Schwab. My wife was complaining of the car shaking at freeway speeds. Thinking it just needed an alignment or maybe a tire balance, I brought it to Les Schwab. They put the car up on the rack and they found one of the tires was separating from the belt itself and needed to be replaced. Tires were around 35k miles so it made sense just to replace them all. He comes back with a quote of over $2k for my wife’s VW beetle. I seriously laughed in his face as there was no way tires for a beetle were $500 each. I asked him what tire and I look at the same tire on Tirerack. The tire online was something like $130/tire and asked him to match. He refused saying this is our price take it or leave it. So told him to put the car down and I left. Went to local tire shop (not a chain) about 3 blocks away. Got 4 new tires, installed, out the door for just a little over $500. That was my first time at Les Schwab and will never return again.
Sorry for your bad experience; I guess it all comes down to individual people in the end. I just know that the company culture especially here in the NW is not like that. Even if he didn't have a competitive tire in stock, he could have ordered it for you. This guy won't last in the company, I'm sure.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 PM
sfrank2886
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Supercar
Sorry for your bad experience; I guess it all comes down to individual people in the end. I just know that the company culture especially here in the NW is not like that. Even if he didn't have a competitive tire in stock, he could have ordered it for you. This guy won't last in the company, I'm sure.
Couple of things,

I never leave my vette unattended. If the shop says I can not view the work in progress, bye bye

Second, a five or ten dollar bill to the installer and some kind words to take care of my wheels seems to do the trick. My two cents
Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

I do not generally use Les Schwab simply because it is not convenient to do so. But, I have learned that they are meticulous about their work. They have impressed me every time I have been there.

My local Firestone shop has done a good job, and has very good prices on their "lifetime" services like balancing and alignment. The sales manager also told me they would match TireRack's prices on a set of tires for the Vette when I am ready.

Jason, I am certain there is more to that situation with LS. Seriously, how does anyone quote a price of $2000 simply for tires for a beetle? There had to be something wrong in the quote process. I can't understand how the tech did not look at it and say, "that can't be right", and fix it. Crazy how those things can happen.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:49 PM
jbc1995fb
Safety Car

Received 1,341 Likes on 884 Posts

Never really had any problems with Discount Tire. They did manage to lock my keys in my Avalanche one time. They had to call a lock smith.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Cockroach
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 97 Posts

Had Hankooks installed just before winter storage and they seem pretty good. Discount took their time with no damage to my new wheels. I try to just bring in the wheels and leave them for the day so Discount is not rushed with getting my car in and out fast.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:04 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I do not generally use Les Schwab simply because it is not convenient to do so. But, I have learned that they are meticulous about their work. They have impressed me every time I have been there.

My local Firestone shop has done a good job, and has very good prices on their "lifetime" services like balancing and alignment. The sales manager also told me they would match TireRack's prices on a set of tires for the Vette when I am ready.

Jason, I am certain there is more to that situation with LS. Seriously, how does anyone quote a price of $2000 simply for tires for a beetle? There had to be something wrong in the quote process. I can't understand how the tech did not look at it and say, "that can't be right", and fix it. Crazy how those things can happen.
It appears that the level of service of most brands of outlets is highly dependent on the individual management. I put some Bridgestones on my wife's TL and while I really like the tires, I haven't been able to find a Firestone/Bridgestone store that I would trust to work on a skateboard.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:57 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
I do believe the person I was working with at LS either (1) thought I was stupid or (2) thought had me in a “no choice” situation. I did the see tire myself and it was indeed separating from the steel belts. It was not safe to drive on those tires and they needed to be replaced. I honestly and literally laughed at his face when he quoted me over $2k. Maybe their computer had the wrong price listed for the tires, but then he should have questioned why their price was 4 times higher than TireRack. But I feel like his “take it or leave it” attitude pretty much told me he was trying to screw me over because of the tough spot I was in. Luckily there was like 4 other tire shops in the general area.

I do hope this is an isolated incident and LS does not practice this type of price gouging on a normal basis. I have not been back to them for any service since.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:56 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Heck....i'm just wishing we needed a shade tree around here this time of year !! Come on warm weather !!!!

Get notified of new replies

To New Hankooks

Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Ssnobrakes
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been using the Discount Tire in Roswell, GA for years without any problems. One time they did break a center cap, but they replaced it without a hassle. They should make good on their screw ups. You have to assertive with them and they will make things right.
Although today I put new Firestone Firehawk INDY 500's on. They get excellent reviews and are top rated on Tire rack. I was impressed with the installer. Not only did he line up the center caps with the valve stems, he also matched up the valve markers too and cleaned the wheels.
The tread pattern is nasty (in a good way) and got a good price because of a President's Day sale

Last edited by Ssnobrakes; 02-16-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-16-2018, 04:41 PM
GrandSportRob
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Did you put the Hankooks on a widebody? If so how about some pics and an update on ride quality. I’m planning on new Hankooks for my GS this spring.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:48 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by Ssnobrakes
I have been using the Discount Tire in Roswell, GA for years without any problems. One time they did break a center cap, but they replaced it without a hassle. They should make good on their screw ups. You have to assertive with them and they will make things right.
Although today I put new Firestone Firehawk INDY 500's on. They get excellent reviews and are top rated on Tire rack. I was impressed with the installer. Not only did he line up the center caps with the valve stems, he also matched up the valve markers too and cleaned the wheels.
The tread pattern is nasty (in a good way) and got a good price because of a President's Day sale
The Vette I just sold had Hankooks, and I loved them. I was going to try the INDY 500's, though, or the Wide Ovals, as they both have excellent reviews. One thing I did notice is that they are both "Y" speed rated (168mph), while the Hankooks are "W" rated (186). Does not concern me because I never see myself driving close to those speeds, but still interesting.

My new Vette has new Sumitomo's, which seem fine, so far. Pretty quiet, decent grip.

Quick Reply: New Hankooks