C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 key fob programming issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 11:49 AM
ressner
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 key fob programming issues

I am trying to program a second key fob for my 2006 C6 convertible. I followed the instructions in the owner's manual but the DIC does not show anything after turning the trunk key 5 times quickly. The top is down, glove box and trunk are open, manual transmission in reverse, existing key next to shifter. DIC remains blank.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Create another thread for it. Maybe no one saw the first 2 you created.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:19 PM
ressner
Intermediate

I give up. How many threads does it take to get a reply?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by ressner
I give up. How many threads does it take to get a reply?
Take a look at the stickies at the top of the page. There are tips and tricks and FAQ links. Go to the FAQ link and find the Key fob programming instructions. It has much more info than the manual.

You can also use the Search function in one of the menu bars above. Select advanced and then put in what you want to search for and select the correct forum to search. There have been hundreds of posts on this very issue.

Maybe the switch attached to the key is disconnected or misadjusted and that is preventing the key turns from being detected by the computer. It's a start anyway.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:10 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by unixcorn
Take a look at the stickies at the top of the page. There are tips and tricks and FAQ links. Go to the FAQ link and find the Key fob programming instructions. It has much more info than the manual.

You can also use the Search function in one of the menu bars above. Select advanced and then put in what you want to search for and select the correct forum to search. There have been hundreds of posts on this very issue.

Maybe the switch attached to the key is disconnected or misadjusted and that is preventing the key turns from being detected by the computer. It's a start anyway.
Thank you. How can you tell if the switch attached to the key is disconnected?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:13 PM
njk4o5
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

ive been reading that if you go through the steps to program a key sometimes the DIC wont show anything but the key will be programmed. im having trouble with my spare im trying to program too.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:22 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

It's possible the key isn't turning the lock cylinder completely. Try spraying some lubricant into the keyhole to make the key turn easier.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:26 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by njk4o5
ive been reading that if you go through the steps to program a key sometimes the DIC wont show anything but the key will be programmed. im having trouble with my spare im trying to program too.
I tried programming the key even though the DIC doesn't show anything. It did not work.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:33 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 774 Likes on 435 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

When I had mine done, I had the same problem. The technician pulled the carpet where the lock is down, and pulled the wire or cable that the cylinder turns 5 times by hand.
It worked.
He said that maybe with age that wire was stretched and the when you turn the cylinder with the key , it does not pull it far enough to activate the fob programming in the DIC.
To be honest though, I don't know what he pulled. It was in the lock mechanism.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:38 AM
mogman
Cruising

I have a 2007 with a manual trans. I had the same problem and found that the trans had to be in Reverse in order for it to work. It says nothing about that in the manual.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:49 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mogman
I have a 2007 with a manual trans. I had the same problem and found that the trans had to be in Reverse in order for it to work. It says nothing about that in the manual.
Thank you. I read that a manual transmission needed to be in reverse on another website. I did that and it still doesn't work.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Are you sure you turing the key "stop to stop", the correct number of times within the time frame specified?
Old 06-20-2017, 01:04 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bmfvette
Are you sure you turing the key "stop to stop", the correct number of times within the time frame specified?
Define stop to stop. It turns around a quarter of a turn clockwise each time.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM
ressner
Intermediate

Define stop to stop. It turns around a quarter of a turn clockwise each time.
I tried removing the rear carpeted panel in the trunk to access the cable that the trunk key moves to activate the fob programming. I pulled it 5 times quickly which is essentially the same as turning the key only harder. The DIC still does not show anything.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:05 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

I tried removing the rear carpeted panel in the trunk to access the cable that the trunk key moves to activate the fob programming. I pulled it 5 times quickly which is essentially the same as turning the key only harder. The DIC still does not show anything.
I hope this isn't a dumb question but how much time elapses between your 5 turn switch input and your getting to the cabin to respond? I didn't think mine worked either when i recently ran the long program.

It took my 3rd attempt before I got it to work since the timer doesn't give you much time to respond with the correct input or it cancels the set up program. You don't have enough time to walk to the drivers side, open the door, get in and respond. I had to leave the door open and sprint those few steps or it would cancel the program.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:31 PM
Rodt23
5th Gear

I have the same problem with my 06. I followed all the steps and the DIC remains blank. Chevrolet HQ says to take it to the dealer, but they want $180. I think the whole system stinks. Can anyone help?
Old 07-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodt23
I have the same problem with my 06. I followed all the steps and the DIC remains blank. Chevrolet HQ says to take it to the dealer, but they want $180. I think the whole system stinks. Can anyone help?
I related my personal experience above your post. If you have someone that can assist you either have them watch your DIC or do the 5 turns of the key while you watch the DIC.

I found that the time window between the 5 key turns and your response by pressing the Start/Stop switch is very short or it automatically cancels the setup program. It took my 3rd attempt before I responded in time and wasn't greeted by a blank DIC display.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 key fob programming issues

Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Rodt23
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Icecap
I related my personal experience above your post. If you have someone that can assist you either have them watch your DIC or do the 5 turns of the key while you watch the DIC.

I found that the time window between the 5 key turns and your response by pressing the Start/Stop switch is very short or it automatically cancels the setup program. It took my 3rd attempt before I responded in time and wasn't greeted by a blank DIC display.
Thanks, I will give it a try
Old 09-01-2021, 03:58 PM
okeefe14
1st Gear

Hello First Time Posting.

Thanks to all of the folks who share here, it would be really difficult to solve problem without this information.

My car would not prompt "Ready for FOB 3", I tried putting it in reverse as someone suggested. Still did not work. I removed the rear panel which another person suggested which was really easy (just the four plastic cap screws in the corners in the trunk), then inspected the lock mechanism.

There was only 1 cable that was actuated by the lock. The cable was being "relaxed" by turning the key so I fiddled with it while continuing to the turn the key to try to get more movement in the cable as I turned the key multiple times. Eventually, the DIC prompted "Ready for FOB 3". I'm not sure how it actually ended up working, and I had left the car in reverse the entire time so that might have been a required step as someone else suggested in the thread. I mistaken then pressed the Acc button so I had to repeat this procedure. Again it would not work unless I was jiggling that cable while turning the key. (The second time I noticed the beep, I did not hear it beep the first time) I think I actuated it way more than 5 times.

Thanks again to everyone who posted on this. I realize this is an old thread, but it helped me today, 01-Sept-21 with a 13 year old vehicle.

Back in business!
Old 09-02-2021, 09:26 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

One newbie tip is to not resurrect a dead 4-year old thread just to make a comment. You will be called out for it, just like I will be called out for giving you this tip instead of just minding my own business.

Quick Reply: 2006 key fob programming issues