C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C6 A6 Z51 Braking Questions

Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Roger Warren
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 C6 A6 Z51 Braking Questions

I recently brought this Corvette (40K miles) and have started tracking it. I would love any information anyone would like share regarding braking distance, which seems to be poor (I changed fluids, re-surfaced the rotors, upgraded to Hawk Street / Race pads) which helped.

On the skid pad, I went through the cones at the end with stock pads, and now I barely touch the cones with the Hawks. My other car stops 25 feet in front of the cones. I find I have to start braking earlier in the corners and the car hates when I am on the brake and start to turn (yes, I know I am not supposed to do that but I am new at this!) the brakes chatter. My driving coach actually commented that I am not pressing the brakes hard enough which I can assure you I am.

New braking systems are really expensive and some require new wheels, starting to regret not buying a Z06.

Thoughts?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

You're more liable to get help with this if you post about it in one of the C6 forums.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-74/
The following users liked this post:
Roger Warren (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
You're more liable to get help with this if you post about it in one of the C6 forums.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...discussion-74/
Welcome to the CF!
Roger Warren (06-20-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this over to C6 General so you can get more answers to your question.
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 PM
Roger Warren
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Moving this over to C6 General so you can get more answers to your question.
I am new to forums in general and really not sure what I am doing, very much appreciated!
Old 06-20-2017, 10:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Roger Warren
I am new to forums in general and really not sure what I am doing, very much appreciated!
Well, you got a good start by filling out some basic info in your profile. That helps people to know a bit about you and the car, in order to answer questions you might have.

IIRC GM specs for stopping distance from 60 to 0 for base cars was 112'. There was not a mention of whether it was with J55 or J9L brakes. Either way, tires are of great importance.
Roger Warren (06-21-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:29 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

if you are really going to track the car fairly often, and IF you got a good deal on your car, you should still consider selling it and buying a GS or Z06. The reason is that you are going to put considerabl money into this car. At some point, you are going to learn how to drive it beyond it's ability to meet your needs, unless you put a LOT more money into it.

If you sell it and get a GS/Z06, it will be awhile before you have to upgrade much other than tires. Just my thoughts, am sure others may disagree.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Warren
I recently brought this Corvette (40K miles) and have started tracking it. I would love any information anyone would like share regarding braking distance, which seems to be poor (I changed fluids, re-surfaced the rotors, upgraded to Hawk Street / Race pads) which helped.

On the skid pad, I went through the cones at the end with stock pads, and now I barely touch the cones with the Hawks. My other car stops 25 feet in front of the cones. I find I have to start braking earlier in the corners and the car hates when I am on the brake and start to turn (yes, I know I am not supposed to do that but I am new at this!) the brakes chatter. My driving coach actually commented that I am not pressing the brakes hard enough which I can assure you I am.

New braking systems are really expensive and some require new wheels, starting to regret not buying a Z06.

Thoughts?
I'm surprised that you would have poor brakes when the Z51 package rotors front and rear are nearly 1" larger in diameter than the base model brakes which are supposed to be good already.

You recently installed race brake pads, were they ceramic? I'm not into racing but will relate my recent experience doing the brakes on my wifes DD Chev Cruze that needed a brake job.

When I purchased the parts the supplier asked good, better or best for rotors and pads and I chose best which ended up being ceramic. I was really disappointed with the brakes even after they were properly bedded.

The original brake pads were semi-metallic and the brakes were excellent. The ceramic brake linings required a lot more pedal pressure to achieve the same braking as the semi-metalic which would could lock up the wheels with ease, not with the ceramics. I had to get the brakes so hot you could feel the heat radiating by standing close to the wheels before they braked well and cold they were just plain horrible.

I will never again put ceramic brakes on a daily driver car even if the conventional brake linings give off a lot more brake dust. the trade off just isn't worth it.

Last edited by Icecap; 06-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2008 C6 A6 Z51 Braking Questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 C6 A6 Z51 Braking Questions