C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 09:18 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I can see why those that put their cars in shows would not want to drive in the rain. The undercarriage will get dirty pretty fast.

I spent a week cleaning the undercarriage while it was in hibernation this past winter. It came out very nice and clean.

Cleaning the undercarriage is not something that I would do normally.
Since I do not show my car, I was bored and decided to do it .

Since I prefer to drive it on road trips instead of sitting behind it on a lawn chair, it's inevitable that on week long road trips, that one will hit rain occasionally.

I'll not change my C6 driving patterns any time soon.

We all bought our C6 to enjoy that way we want. There is no right, there is no wrong.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 06-21-2017 at 09:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joec (06-23-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM
kharouf
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i meant driving it in regular roads with rain. there are no dirty roads around me. but for all that happens is that i wake up and see dried up rain spots on the car. but there's no dirt other than that. but i guess it depends where in the united states or Canada people would live too
Old 06-21-2017, 09:35 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Some are afraid of hydroplaning. Corvette's aren't known for wet road stability.

Last edited by jrose7004; 06-21-2017 at 10:21 AM.
tabing (06-22-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I would ask..... why does it matter if they do or they don't?...... their name is on the title no anyone else's and there is no rule that they need to drive it in the rain.

To a lot of owners, these are toys, not DDs.

Me personally, if I get caught in the rain no biggie, I'll clean it up when I get home, but if it's in the garage and clean, and it's raining out, no, I won't pull it out.

I'm in the toy category myself.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM
89talon
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My vette drives better in the rain than my pickup. To each his own.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:03 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by kharouf
i meant driving it in regular roads with rain. there are no dirty roads around me. but for all that happens is that i wake up and see dried up rain spots on the car. but there's no dirt other than that. but i guess it depends where in the united states or Canada people would live too
There is no such thing as a clean road if cars/trucks/etc. drive on it.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:17 AM
codyc24
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is just a car...who cares if it gets dirty. You wreck it? Life happens and that is what auto insurance is for.
crystallinity (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Cuckoo
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not a fraid to drive in the rain. I do it all the time when it rains here, in my Camry that is !

I don't drive the Corvette in the rain because I don't have too.
This way it only needs a freshen up wash every few months. And its not even dirty then.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 AM
BadgeZ28
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Western Oregon. Rain is a given and no problem for the Corvette if you have all weather tires. I have no problem with people babying their cars. As stated, we can do what we want with them.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:51 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Last time I got caught in the rain on a road trip, it took me 4 hours to clean my car. All the road dirt and grime turns to sludge that gets packed in all the nooks and crannies under your car. This is why I don't like to drive in the rain, I'd rather drive my Caddy.
This is spot on. I'm not afraid at all to drive in it. But I am afraid of what this old body might do if I have to get underneath it and roll around cleaning....LOL. No problem getting down there....just a problem getting back up.....
WW7 (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I put over 12k miles on my vert the first year I owned it, so it gets driven plenty. I just prefer not to make extra work for myself when I don't have to. That's what my DD is for.
Agree. Mine is just a fair-weather summer toy, and I don't want to spend any more time than I have to to keep it sparkling.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Just a question of keeping it clean for me. Just a quick wipe down after every drive, vs hours of cleaning after rain.

The car body isn't the issue rather the rims , barrels and wheel wells alone with the under carriage.

Now I have never cleaned my under carriage but then it has never seen rain. It looks fine when I inspect it while in the air. Show polished of course not but clean.

Car is not for show car by any means but I like it clean when using. This includes the barrels and wheel wells.

Anything more than this is getting into show quality.

Never have washed under the hood, 2008 with 40,000 miles, but I do wiped it down often.

Hell I can not remember the last time I used water and soap on it, been years.

Klasse sealant and I use the Glanz all the time to fortify the sealant. Still smooth as a new born. Last time the sealant was applied was a 3 years back. And I mix my own detail spray adding the sealant. Essential making my own Glanz product.

Garaged and covered when not driven.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by codyc24
It is just a car...who cares if it gets dirty. You wreck it? Life happens and that is what auto insurance is for.

its just a car
Old 06-21-2017, 11:29 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

We have taken multi week, multi state road trips in the vettes for the past two years. Been through sone hellacious rain, some snow and sleet and anything else Mother Nature wanted to throw at us. Wash the car when you get the opportunity and enjoy the ride. Life is too short to worry about a car getting dirty.

You can't fix the stupid drivers on the road, just be careful.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 06-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by codyc24
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

its just a car
So if the hood is up and you're leaning over working on something, you don't care if your belt buckle, tools, etc. scratches the fender? Hey, WTF, "it's just a car." Attachment 48336956

Do you park up against concrete curbs and not care if you F the rims up? Hey, they're just rims, right?

This has to be the dumbest thread subject that pops up periodically on CF. Well, either that or: "You're not a real Corvette owner if you don't put at least 20k miles on it per year."

Old 06-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't mind driving in the rain to get home but I usually don't take mine out of the garage into rain. No sense taking it out on an ugly day.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 PM
C5 Newb
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RichKiss
Because I don't have to and I don't want to. Between company vehicles and personal vehicles I have plenty to make it possible. I think its silly to put all my money into one car that cost as much as it does with the history it has. For all you young pups that bought it as your one and only car and could barley afford it, Have fun with that.

I have 4 vehicles to choose from and drive the Vette daily.
While mine is far from a show car or garage queen it is my daily driver unless the full size van, Jeep or Chrysler 300 would be better.

Unless it is a show car then it is just a car, enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bruze
So if the hood is up and you're leaning over working on something, you don't care if your belt buckle, tools, etc. scratches the fender? Hey, WTF, "it's just a car."

Do you park up against concrete curbs and not care if you F the rims up? Hey, they're just rims, right?

This has to be the dumbest thread subject that pops up periodically on CF. Well, either that or: "You're not a real Corvette owner if you don't put at least 20k miles on it per year."

To some guys their Corvette might be their "Beater" car.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 PM
C5 Newb
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
So if the hood is up and you're leaning over working on something, you don't care if your belt buckle, tools, etc. scratches the fender? Hey, WTF, "it's just a car."

You don't INTENTIONALLY damage it but it was made to be driven and enjoyed.
It's not like you bought a 1964 Ford GT-40 where they only made 107 of them and you can never get another.
There are tens of thousands of them out there so they aren't rare.
You act like you have one of 100 cars built.
crystallinity (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:59 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

A good rain at least once a year will clean the underside as much as I care. I'm not a polisher, but I do keep it fairly clean like any other car I've ever owned. I sold my Silverado two weeks ago, so it's just the Vette for me and the Caddy for her. Almost all road trips are in the Vette, since it's more fun. Life is too short to drive boring dd's or beaters.

A little rain last Summer just after leaving the Assembly plant tour in Bowling Green.

Quick Reply: why are some people afraid to drive in the rain?