C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st time Corvette owner : Exhaust resonating

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
technoman007
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1st time Corvette owner : Exhaust resonating

I bought my first Corvette four weeks ago and it is my daily driver.
I am super excited to be part of the Corvette family .

It is a 2009 A6 Base ( Victory Red ) and had 31k on it when i got it.
I added Android auto to it after i got it and have already put around 2000 miles on it. The car runs perfect and puts a smile on my face every time .

There is only one thing which slightly bothers me. After the car is all warmed up and I stop at a traffic light, i hear something resonating. My guess is that it is the exhaust. When it resonates the car is in drive and a hairline over 500RPM and i have my foot on the brake pedal. The resonation ceases immediately as i drive away. The resonating sound at idle is a discomfort for the ear.
If i put the car in neutral the rpm goes slightly over 550 and sound reduces drastically.

I am going to check the exhaust hangers(and springs) this weekend to see if anything is loose.

Has anyone faced a similar issue and if you were able to resolve it?

Thank you.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:13 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by technoman007
I bought my first Corvette four weeks ago and it is my daily driver.
I am super excited to be part of the Corvette family .

It is a 2009 A6 Base ( Victory Red ) and had 31k on it when i got it.
I added Android auto to it after i got it and have already put around 2000 miles on it. The car runs perfect and puts a smile on my face every time .

There is only one thing which slightly bothers me. After the car is all warmed up and I stop at a traffic light, i hear something resonating. My guess is that it is the exhaust. When it resonates the car is in drive and a hairline over 500RPM and i have my foot on the brake pedal. The resonation ceases immediately as i drive away. The resonating sound at idle is a discomfort for the ear.
If i put the car in neutral the rpm goes slightly over 550 and sound reduces drastically.

I am going to check the exhaust hangers(and springs) this weekend to see if anything is loose.

Has anyone faced a similar issue and if you were able to resolve it?

Thank you.
I have been here a while and have never heard of the specific circumstances you are describing. First thought is maybe somebody put aftermarket mufflers on the car. Other than that hopefully somebody else has some ideas for you.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Although I have not had this problem myself, I am close to 100% that it's exhaust related.

Like you suggested that your going to do, is check for any part of the exhaust system vibrating against something else on the car.

Another possibility is a loose baffle inside one of the mufflers.

Are your mufflers OEM or aftermarket? ... If they are OEM, are they the standard mufflers or the NPP option mufflers (that have the valves / actuators attached to the muffler tips?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:50 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I think your diagnostics are the best approach. I've never heard of such low rpm rumble before, but at 500 rpm there is probably a fair amount of vibration. That idle seems too low. Most complain of drone at around 1600 rpm.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM
ben z
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If your planned inpsection doesn't turn up anything obvious, I would warm her up and get someone to hold her in D while you take a listen around outside. (Of course be really careful, you don't want to get run over!) Something like that which only occurs under very specific conditions you pretty much have to duplicate the same conditions to find. And cabin acoustics give you that ventriloquist effect, hard to always spot where it's coming from when you're inside.

Typical exhaust drone comes on between 1500-1800 rpm range from what everyone has experienced. The previous owner of mine put on aftermarket mufflers, which I will soon be reverting to stock on account of drone.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:28 PM
technoman007
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Although I have not had this problem myself, I am close to 100% that it's exhaust related.

Like you suggested that your going to do, is check for any part of the exhaust system vibrating against something else on the car.

Another possibility is a loose baffle inside one of the mufflers.

Are your mufflers OEM or aftermarket? ... If they are OEM, are they the standard mufflers or the NPP option mufflers (that have the valves / actuators attached to the muffler tips?
Thanks for the response Turbo6TA. Its OEM mufflers and they are standard.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,073 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Well, I think it's pretty well obvious that your stock exhaust is vibrating up against something.

As far as "drone" is concerned, what you have is nothing like drone ... and the OEM standard mufflers don't drone at any rpm / vehicle speed.

Your going to have to somehow put it in "drive" and let it idle (emergency brake on), and then get under the car the best you can and track down where the noise is coming from.

Good luck ... in your situation, at least it's not the End of the World!
The following users liked this post:
technoman007 (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 02:42 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Well, I think it's pretty well obvious that your stock exhaust is vibrating up against something.

As far as "drone" is concerned, what you have is nothing like drone ... and the OEM standard mufflers don't drone at any rpm / vehicle speed.

Your going to have to somehow put it in "drive" and let it idle (emergency brake on), and then get under the car the best you can and track down where the noise is coming from.

Last edited by ByByBMW; 06-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

As others have said drone is ~1200 - 1600 rpm. So just a data point (this is probably not your problem), I once used a piece of steel to hold up my muffler because the rubber hanger broke. The low speed resonance was awful. Get under the car and track the noise was good advice, IMHO.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

You are calling it resonation, but you are describing vibration...which do you think it is?

If resonation, does it have aftermarket exhaust parts, anywhere?
Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

not sure what you mean by "resonating" do you mean a rattle?

I drive mine every day without mufflers and it doesn't bother me, with mufflers this car is so quiet it may as well be a prius

something is probably loosey goosey under there
Old 06-22-2017, 06:19 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 783 Likes on 330 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist