C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:49 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod03
He's right, if u mix it's scary handling!! Love mine!!
He's wrong because he didn't read the whole post. Lol
Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 PM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Nick_04k
I have the same tires and have 0 complaints. I drive the car aggressively and dont feel they are a hindrance in the slightest.
Then it has to be the driver, not the tires.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:06 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TABA5CO
I don't give a **** about:
Wear
Noise
Comfort
Wet weather performance

If any of that mattered to me, I wouldn't drive a Corvette. Lol

I care about grip, responsiveness, and somewhere further down the list, price.
I know exactly how you feel. I don't track my car or drive it near it's limits, but I want to know I am getting the most the car has to offer if that situation should arise. I do not want to be held back by tires because I wanted to save a couple of bucks. I can't help you on the Hankooks (not that I would ever buy them anyway) but I would look into the Bridgestone RE-71R for your use. Fortunately for you, they have the grip, comfort and steering response you crave, the wear is so so and a little noisy because of the tremendous grip, sounds like Velcro on cement. I use the RE-11 and they are just a unbelievable tire. Unfortunately they are out of production now.
The following users liked this post:
ZFIDDY1 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 PM
05blkbeauty
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Ha kook V12

I needed tires also, had BFGs on it and the rears were a little worse than the fronts. So I decided to get the Hankooks for the rear only- huge mistake! My car handled terrible- was really worried about the Hankooks, so I decided to go ahead and replace the fronts. Problem solved- it was like a new car- I've had them on now for about 8000 mi and absolutely love them. Quiter, more responsive and they stick like glue (warm weather, of course), I would buy them again!
Old 06-25-2017, 10:38 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I would get the alignment done. You will never get great handling with the car out of alignment. You will need to decide which one suits you also. Do a search lots of which align threads.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

When I bought my car a couple months ago, it had new Ventus V12s on the rear and well-worn (4-5/32 remaining) original-spec Goodyear F1 GS-2 EMTs on the front. After noticing severe wear on the inner driver's side tire indicating it needs an alignment, I replaced both fronts with matching 245/40/18 Ventus V12s last night (the alignment will have to wait a few days....) so I could carry on with my weekend plans.

I'm fortunate enough to have one of the greatest roads on the planet between my house and my brother's house: Angeles Crest Highway.

Aired up to 32 psi cold (35 psi hot), while on my way to my brother's house, I experienced pretty much exactly what Car & Driver and so many others have said about these Hankooks: excellent grip, ridiculously slow response. The Goodyears, in comparison, even when severely worn, responded INSTANTLY to steering input. The Hankooks make the car feel 1,000 pounds heavier and feel faaaaaaaarrrr less accurate. The overall grip is great, but the car now feels less like a scalpel and more like a dull letter opener and is now way less entertaining in the twisties.

Not happy. At all....hopefully the alignment (going with PFADT's specs) coming later this week help to alleviate the slow response of these things, because these tires are a complete disappointment.

Looking for a tire that doesn't break the bank that will behave more like the OEM-spec Goodyears. Tryna get some precision back, not interested in "they're the best because I have them" nonsense lolz, I need for some first-hand experience and insight.....thanks in advance!

That is a bit too much air...they will be at 34 when warmed up. Most of us (I think) run ours at about 29 cold/31 warm. Wide tires are very much affected by improper inflation.

I have them, and love them, but I am really interested in launch, and safe stopping. Maybe they aren't for you for the twisties, but I think many people feel they are great for launching.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:31 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
That is a bit too much air...they will be at 34 when warmed up. Most of us (I think) run ours at about 29 cold/31 warm. Wide tires are very much affected by improper inflation.

I have them, and love them, but I am really interested in launch, and safe stopping. Maybe they aren't for you for the twisties, but I think many people feel they are great for launching.
Anything less pressure wise would only make them worse. They're a great rear tire, the sidewall flex is an indisputable help for rear grip, but as a front tire, they're vague and slow as *****. I don't like mixing different tires, but I have before in an effort get the type of balance I was looking for in a given situation. Maybe that's an idea worth reconsidering?

Might be worth it for no other reason than to watch all the old CF codgers have a stroke and scream "ZOMFG MIXING TIRES WILL MAKE THE CAR GO SUPERNOVA!!!!1!!" lmfao
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by zrracer
I would get the alignment done. You will never get great handling with the car out of alignment. You will need to decide which one suits you also. Do a search lots of which align threads.
As already stated, I'll be going with Pfadt's specs....

Seriously......does nobody read through threads before they post anymore? Lolz
Old 06-26-2017, 03:38 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Not sure what the OP is talking about, Hankook Ventus EVO'2 are AWESOME!!! going on 3 years now with 15,000 miles, they still look new!! Excellent treadwear, excellent handling, excellent performance in the rain, much smoother ride and very quiet. This is the only tire I will ever buy for my GS!!

Last edited by Don-Vette; 06-26-2017 at 03:39 AM.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2017, 03:51 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Not sure what the OP is talking about, Hankook Ventus EVO'2 are AWESOME!!! going on 3 years now with 15,000 miles, they still look new!! Excellent treadwear, excellent handling, excellent performance in the rain, much smoother ride and very quiet. This is the only tire I will ever buy for my GS!!
Dude....

Wear
Noise
Comfort
Wet weather performance

It's like talking to a brick wall in here....
Old 06-26-2017, 03:54 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Dude....

It's like talking to a brick wall in here....

DUDE: THEN GO BUY MICHELIN CUP TIRES AND STOP WHINING.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:06 AM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

You're pissing in my thread just because I offended you that I don't like the tires you happen to have on your car, and because you can't read before you post. You have 11,000 posts and I bet not a single one of them is worth a ****. If you're not going to help, go away.

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-26-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:41 AM
hitthegopedal
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wear
Noise
Comfort
Wet weather performance

I think price is a lot higher on your list if you chose to match the tires the OP chose when he went cheap. I think if you polled some opinions on here prior to purchase you might have went with a different set. If the rears were brand new, I can't say I wouldn't have been tempted to buy the fronts to match the set like you did though; especially for the price. The V12s are a more economical option to replace the stock tires and I think many folks find them to be great since (let's be honest) most Corvette owners are not really using these cars to their potential (that a fair statement?). The Hankooks are cheap and get the job done with no crazy performance in mind. That is 100% the reason I've had them on 3 separate vehicles. I found them great for the price (again, key word is price) and I was satisfied by the performance in all areas. Would I put them on my vette? Nah, I'd look elsewhere, but that's me.

Sounds like you're looking for an aggressive tire. V12s weren't the best option from the get-go if the above statement is what you're going for. INVOs might make you happy though.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

might wanna let those mold release compound wear off before deciding you hate them. remember, instant response (due to really stiff sidewalls on the OEM runflats) don't necessarily mean better track times/better handling... some give is good.

That said, the V12s in every review I've read are said to have softer sidewalls.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

You're pissing in my thread just because I offended you that I don't like the tires you happen to have on your car, and because you can't read before you post. You have 11,000 posts and I bet not a single one of them is worth a ****. If you're not going to help, go away.
My name is Don, not Dude, I posted in defense of the Hankook tires. If you want the ultimate performance tire for your Vette, everyone knows the Michelin cup tires are the best, why do you think GM puts them on their Z06.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Decent tires need not cost $1,500 a set. Dunlop, BFG, Continental (although I once ran Contis on my old 05 Mustang GT with heavily modded suspension and they were also on the sloppy side), Nitto (not Invos- also notoriously soft sidewalls) and several others all make a decent $1,000ish set of tires, there has to be a few with stiffer sidewalls than these Hankooks....
You can either have great performance tires, or you can have low price. You're not going to get both. If you want the best performance, the Michelins are what you want.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:25 AM
billyboy47
Race Director

Received 219 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
My name is Don, not Dude, I posted in defense of the Hankook tires. If you want the ultimate performance tire for your Vette, everyone knows the Michelin cup tires are the best, why do you think GM puts them on their Z06.
Don, you used the term, dude. Whatcha ya talking bout Willis? just went back and caught it, my bad. He did call you dude, Don dude.

Last edited by billyboy47; 06-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Old 06-26-2017, 10:32 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

When I bought my car a couple months ago, it had new Ventus V12s on the rear and well-worn (4-5/32 remaining) original-spec Goodyear F1 GS-2 EMTs on the front. After noticing severe wear on the inner driver's side tire indicating it needs an alignment, I replaced both fronts with matching 245/40/18 Ventus V12s last night (the alignment will have to wait a few days....) so I could carry on with my weekend plans.

I'm fortunate enough to have one of the greatest roads on the planet between my house and my brother's house: Angeles Crest Highway.

Aired up to 32 psi cold (35 psi hot), while on my way to my brother's house, I experienced pretty much exactly what Car & Driver and so many others have said about these Hankooks: excellent grip, ridiculously slow response. The Goodyears, in comparison, even when severely worn, responded INSTANTLY to steering input. The Hankooks make the car feel 1,000 pounds heavier and feel faaaaaaaarrrr less accurate. The overall grip is great, but the car now feels less like a scalpel and more like a dull letter opener and is now way less entertaining in the twisties.

Not happy. At all....hopefully the alignment (going with PFADT's specs) coming later this week help to alleviate the slow response of these things, because these tires are a complete disappointment.

Looking for a tire that doesn't break the bank that will behave more like the OEM-spec Goodyears. Tryna get some precision back, not interested in "they're the best because I have them" nonsense lolz, I need for some first-hand experience and insight.....thanks in advance!
Excellent grip but extremely slow response.....HUH ? Kinda seems like an oxy-moron to me.....what am i missing ?....
Old 06-26-2017, 11:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by zrracer

a good 4 wheel alignment can make a car with cheap tires feel pretty good. Problem is getting someone who knows how these days.
always ran cheap (like hankook) sumis, car took what i gave it just fine once aligned right.
Other than being round and holding air i dont expect much else out of cheap stuff.

Last edited by cv67; 06-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Ruby Supercar
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1121
Sorry but........ Michelin PS4S, you get what you pay for.

M pilots are the deal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!