C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 02:22 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthegopedal
I think price is a lot higher on your list if you chose to match the tires the OP chose when he went cheap. I think if you polled some opinions on here prior to purchase you might have went with a different set. If the rears were brand new, I can't say I wouldn't have been tempted to buy the fronts to match the set like you did though; especially for the price. The V12s are a more economical option to replace the stock tires and I think many folks find them to be great since (let's be honest) most Corvette owners are not really using these cars to their potential (that a fair statement?). The Hankooks are cheap and get the job done with no crazy performance in mind. That is 100% the reason I've had them on 3 separate vehicles. I found them great for the price (again, key word is price) and I was satisfied by the performance in all areas. Would I put them on my vette? Nah, I'd look elsewhere, but that's me.

Sounds like you're looking for an aggressive tire. V12s weren't the best option from the get-go if the above statement is what you're going for. INVOs might make you happy though.
I'll agree with most of that. The reasons I went with the Hankooks were:
1. I needed them right now, and they had them.
2. They matched my rears.

Had I had more time to do the research before hand, I'm sure I'd have chosen differently. I didn't expect world class performance from Hankook, but I had no clue they'd be nearly this vague.

Originally Posted by 1k3y
might wanna let those mold release compound wear off before deciding you hate them. remember, instant response (due to really stiff sidewalls on the OEM runflats) don't necessarily mean better track times/better handling... some give is good.

That said, the V12s in every review I've read are said to have softer sidewalls.
Thought of that. 250 miles this weekend, 50 of them through Angeles Crest. My impression has only gotten worse.

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You can either have great performance tires, or you can have low price. You're not going to get both. If you want the best performance, the Michelins are what you want.
I know all about " good, cheap, fast. Pick two" They weren't so much a choice as a lack of immediate options. Shame on me.

Originally Posted by windyC6
Excellent grip but extremely slow response.....HUH ? Kinda seems like an oxy-moron to me.....what am i missing ?....
Guessing you don't do many HPDEs. Slow as molasses in transitions, but when they take a set, they stick well.

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

a good 4 wheel alignment can make a car with cheap tires feel pretty good. Problem is getting someone who knows how these days.
always ran cheap (like hankook) sumis, car took what i gave it just fine once aligned right.
Other than being round and holding air i dont expect much else out of cheap stuff.
True story.

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:44 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

What I hoped for when I posted this thread was experience and suggestions on choosing the right tire for me. Obviously I came to the wrong place. Some of you get it, most of you don't. I should have posted in the Autocross/Roadrace section, my mistake, lesson learned.

I'll let you all get back to those exciting "what's the best sounding exhaust?" threads, now....
Old 06-26-2017, 02:48 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by TABA5CO
What I hoped for when I posted this thread was experience and suggestions on choosing the right tire for me. Obviously I came to the wrong place. Some of you get it, most of you don't. I should have posted in the Autocross/Roadrace section, my mistake, lesson learned.

I'll let you all get back to those exciting "what's the best sounding exhaust?" threads, now....
Well hope you find what you're looking for. Right now i'm gonna go and pop some more of those HPDE's you mentioned. Got to be careful though as too many of them give me gas !!!!......
Old 06-26-2017, 02:49 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well hope you find what you're looking for. Right now i'm gonna go and pop some more of those HPDE's you mentioned. Got to be careful though as too many of them give me gas !!!!......
Old 06-26-2017, 03:56 PM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Not in Corvette sizes but I've had 3 sets of V12s (two old and one the new version two.)
Hard use:
- Acura RSX: autocrosser & track rat. THey came with some rims I bought and were almost new so I used them. The tires were a 225 (not a 245 like my C5) but the sidewalls would fold over with an audible "fump" unless I put a ton of pressure in them.... even the back tires folded over on a FWD car! They were terrible for autocross. They did grip well, didn't need a lot of heat but were very slow to transition when they weren't folding over on themselves. Terrible choice for the OP's needs IMO.

"Spirited" use:
Wife's Acura TSX- if you want a tire that's comfortable and wears like iron (for a 320TW tire) and is good in the rain etc- it's a great choice. Her car will get some play on the occasional on ramp but will never see a track or anything close. FOr a "spirited cruiser" use Corvette they are probably just great for the price.

Hey be glad since it seems you guys actually have options in C6 size for 200 TW tires. I can't find anyone who makes them in BOTH the front and back stock sizes for a C5! I REALLY loved my BFG Rivals and wish they made them in stock sizes for the C5 (I run B Street.) Anyone who thinks a Pilot Sport is the most grippy street tire out there has never driven on any of the 200TW tire crop from the last 5 years or so. [Rivals, Star Specs, etc] They have about as much grip as an R-Comp from about 10-15 years ago!

Last edited by joezr2; 06-26-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: alien abduction
The following users liked this post:
ZFIDDY1 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:14 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Hey, my V12s have a weak sidewall and in order to help me get a better transition when at an HPDE event, I'd like a good sounding exhaust that will take my mind off my tires inadequacies? Anybody know of a good one?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:08 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by joezr2
Not in Corvette sizes but I've had 3 sets of V12s (two old and one the new version two.)
Hard use:
- Acura RSX: autocrosser & track rat. THey came with some rims I bought and were almost new so I used them. The tires were a 225 (not a 245 like my C5) but the sidewalls would fold over with an audible "fump" unless I put a ton of pressure in them.... even the back tires folded over on a FWD car! They were terrible for autocross. They did grip well, didn't need a lot of heat but were very slow to transition when they weren't folding over on themselves. Terrible choice for the OP's needs IMO.

"Spirited" use:
Wife's Acura TSX- if you want a tire that's comfortable and wears like iron (for a 320TW tire) and is good in the rain etc- it's a great choice. Her car will get some play on the occasional on ramp but will never see a track or anything close. FOr a "spirited cruiser" use Corvette they are probably just great for the price.

Hey be glad since it seems you guys actually have options in C6 size for 200 TW tires. I can't find anyone who makes them in BOTH the front and back stock sizes for a C5! I REALLY loved my BFG Rivals and wish they made them in stock sizes for the C5 (I run B Street.) Anyone who thinks a Pilot Sport is the most grippy street tire out there has never driven on any of the 200TW tire crop from the last 5 years or so. [Rivals, Star Specs, etc] They have about as much grip as an R-Comp from about 10-15 years ago!
Another guy that gets it.

Originally Posted by airmed2
Hey, my V12s have a weak sidewall and in order to help me get a better transition when at an HPDE event, I'd like a good sounding exhaust that will take my mind off my tires inadequacies? Anybody know of a good one?
Old 06-26-2017, 05:13 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

After spending the better part of my weekend doing my homework, I've settled on giving the BFG GForce Sports a try. Everything I'm seeing points toward a relatively stiff sidewall, couldn't be any worse that what I've got now. Thankfully America's Tire has a satisfaction guarantee!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:53 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

After spending the better part of my weekend doing my homework, I've settled on giving the BFG GForce Sports a try. Everything I'm seeing points toward a relatively stiff sidewall, couldn't be any worse that what I've got now. Thankfully America's Tire has a satisfaction guarantee!

Those are what I have, from your posts I would say you will love them. They have what seems to be endless amounts of grip and great response.
Performance to cost ratio is hard to beat on these.
These tires are awful if you cared about ride comfort or noise, which you don't.
​​​

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 06-26-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:58 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Since I don't autocross my GS, these Hankooks are great as a GT tire on a GT car.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:29 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I hope that before you go to the "racing/autocross" section where you hope people are a lot smarter you change your attitude. People here are trying to help you after you admitted that you did not spend enough time looking for the correct tires. Did not bother to get a alignment and your rear tires a probably hard as rocks.
My comment too you was a polite way of reminding you not to be an idiot and get an alignment done asap. Your answer was rude and not helpful. Just the opposite of what you want from us.
Do U get this so far?
To be smart u just need to learn some more about car handling.
Car won't handle with bad alignment
Car won't handle as well with old and new tires mixed.
As you stated u did not do your homework. Start doing your homework and quit being a smart ***. I don't think people will want to help you when they see your posts.
If you go to weekend driving events often. Get a set of "real" track tires and a set of rims. That way you can have a set of tires and you can try to keep up with the guys who know what they are doing with tires and alignment and being safe.
Instead of asking people for help u do not want to do you would have gotten better answers if you asked better questions. For example, do I want a shorter wider tire, do I want a softer compound, do I want to change the width of both the front/rear and the aspect. How will alignment affect the car.
You are at what is the right tire pressure stage. Until you learn something about what you are doing u r going to be sitting at the back of the pack wondering why u bought the wrong tires.
The following 2 users liked this post by zrracer:
Don-Vette (06-27-2017), ls1121 (07-01-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:28 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by zrracer
I hope that before you go to the "racing/autocross" section where you hope people are a lot smarter you change your attitude. People here are trying to help you after you admitted that you did not spend enough time looking for the correct tires. Did not bother to get a alignment and your rear tires a probably hard as rocks.
My comment too you was a polite way of reminding you not to be an idiot and get an alignment done asap. Your answer was rude and not helpful. Just the opposite of what you want from us.
Do U get this so far?
To be smart u just need to learn some more about car handling.
Car won't handle with bad alignment
Car won't handle as well with old and new tires mixed.
As you stated u did not do your homework. Start doing your homework and quit being a smart ***. I don't think people will want to help you when they see your posts.
If you go to weekend driving events often. Get a set of "real" track tires and a set of rims. That way you can have a set of tires and you can try to keep up with the guys who know what they are doing with tires and alignment and being safe.
Instead of asking people for help u do not want to do you would have gotten better answers if you asked better questions. For example, do I want a shorter wider tire, do I want a softer compound, do I want to change the width of both the front/rear and the aspect. How will alignment affect the car.
You are at what is the right tire pressure stage. Until you learn something about what you are doing u r going to be sitting at the back of the pack wondering why u bought the wrong tires.

I said I was looking for a tire with stiffer sidewalls. A few people with reading comprehension skills picked up on that and were actually helpful. You were not one of those people. I got the alignment done today. Guess what? Didn't stiffen up the sidewalls. I don't need a different tire size. I know how to make pressure adjustments. I dont need a shorter tire. I don't need a softer compound. I don't need rhetoric from some asshat who thinks he's going to educate me about tire basics because he thinks I need to be humbled.

I know there are helpful members on Corvette forum. A few have been helpful here. It sounds like you could've been helpful, instead you read half a post, reacted instead of putting any thought into it, and decided to be a condescending Captain Obvious.

Congratulations, you put me in my place. Now do you have any advice on a tire with a stiffer sidewall or not?

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-26-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:21 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Name:  1237977238_pineapple-express-laughing_zpsb0944983.gif
Views: 1130
Size:  2.20 MB
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Old 06-27-2017, 06:12 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Alignment is the cause of complaints not the tires.

Change from runflats to runflats also have an effect.

Ive had 3 sets of hankooks and I will stare I prefer the michelins I'm running now but the hankooks were an excellent handling tire.

Alignment sounds like the issue and not the tire from the original posters thread starter.

Otherwise sell the tires and move to a tire you prefer.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:59 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

I said I was looking for a tire with stiffer sidewalls. A few people with reading comprehension skills picked up on that and were actually helpful. You were not one of those people. I got the alignment done today. Guess what? Didn't stiffen up the sidewalls. I don't need a different tire size. I know how to make pressure adjustments. I dont need a shorter tire. I don't need a softer compound. I don't need rhetoric from some asshat who thinks he's going to educate me about tire basics because he thinks I need to be humbled.

I know there are helpful members on Corvette forum. A few have been helpful here. It sounds like you could've been helpful, instead you read half a post, reacted instead of putting any thought into it, and decided to be a condescending Captain Obvious.

Congratulations, you put me in my place. Now do you have any advice on a tire with a stiffer sidewall or not?

Old 06-27-2017, 07:31 AM
hitthegopedal
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your questions:
"Looking for a tire that doesn't break the bank that will behave more like the OEM-spec Goodyears".
"I'm looking for advice on a mid-priced tire that is more responsive from people that have firsthand experience with the Hankooks and whatever else they've tried."
This evolved into doing HPDE days which isn't "spirited" driving.

I have excellent reading comprehension skills and here's the summary: "I went cheap and matched the cheap previous owner's rear tires because I 'needed them right now'. The tire I chose, which some of you have and have had on multiple vehicles, is terrible, and you're all old fogies that only drive your golf bags to the country club. I like the stock tires. I'm no stranger to corvettes, only drive '11/10ths', and frequently do HPDE days. I want a road tire, with HPDE capabilities, that has stiff sidewalls, and I only want to spend $1000(ish) on the set.". Do I have that right? (BTW, I'm possibly near your age, am no stranger to at least C3/C5/C6 corvettes from owning them, my driving skills only go to 10/10, I only golf if there is business involved, but do drive the beach bags to the marina. Just so you know this crowd is "well rounded" )

Advice on stiffer sidewall: Why not spend the money on the Goodyears you're already happy with (or an actual equivalent) and be done? It's a couple hundred bucks for guaranteed satisfaction. It avoids the "I wanted the expensive thing and bought the cheap thing, now I'm mad that the cheap thing isn't the expensive thing!" situation.

$1400 for the Goodyears (or Michelins) - $400 for selling used tires (maybe) = $1000(ish) Right on budget and a smile on your face.

The best answers:
1. Do the above.
2. Keep the Hankooks and buy a set of track wheels/tires like almost every person I know who does track days does unless they are not serious about it
3. The only answer you liked here was the Bridgestone RE-71R, which ISN'T a "sport" tire, it's a track tire you can drive home with. Set is about $1000. Wear and wet won't be equal to a road tire. "I don't give a **** about: Wear, Noise, Comfort, Wet weather performance" Your words.

Get notified of new replies

To My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Old 06-27-2017, 09:55 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

"my driving skills only go to 10/10"

Mine go to 11/10s sometimes. It may not be fast but it sure can be fun
Old 06-27-2017, 08:19 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

As stated, America's tire has a satisfaction guarantee, so they're doing it as a straight exchange. I'm waiting for BFG G Force sports to be installed right now. The best part is the BFG's are 20 bucks cheaper. LOL
Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by joezr2
"my driving skills only go to 10/10"

Mine go to 11/10s sometimes. It may not be fast but it sure can be fun
Exactly....

Quick Reply: My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!