C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 PM
mikeurbas
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hankooks

Originally Posted by TABA5CO
When I bought my car a couple months ago, it had new Ventus V12s on the rear and well-worn (4-5/32 remaining) original-spec Goodyear F1 GS-2 EMTs on the front. After noticing severe wear on the inner driver's side tire indicating it needs an alignment, I replaced both fronts with matching 245/40/18 Ventus V12s last night (the alignment will have to wait a few days....) so I could carry on with my weekend plans.

I'm fortunate enough to have one of the greatest roads on the planet between my house and my brother's house: Angeles Crest Highway.

Aired up to 32 psi cold (35 psi hot), while on my way to my brother's house, I experienced pretty much exactly what Car & Driver and so many others have said about these Hankooks: excellent grip, ridiculously slow response. The Goodyears, in comparison, even when severely worn, responded INSTANTLY to steering input. The Hankooks make the car feel 1,000 pounds heavier and feel faaaaaaaarrrr less accurate. The overall grip is great, but the car now feels less like a scalpel and more like a dull letter opener and is now way less entertaining in the twisties.

Not happy. At all....hopefully the alignment (going with PFADT's specs) coming later this week help to alleviate the slow response of these things, because these tires are a complete disappointment.

Looking for a tire that doesn't break the bank that will behave more like the OEM-spec Goodyears. Tryna get some precision back, not interested in "they're the best because I have them" nonsense lolz, I need for some first-hand experience and insight.....thanks in advance!
I put a set of uniroyal tiger paw gtz's on the front of my base 2000 c5 and I am very happy with them! they seem to be wearing very well and the front half of my car does not ride like a truck! I plan on changing the run flat oem goodyear's in the back this sept. and look forward to a slightly softer ride as this my everyday car 3 out of the 4 seasons. p.s. the uniroyals seem to stick really well also! just remember that there only speed rated to about 170 mph.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:10 AM
mikeurbas
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hankkook's

couple more features on the uniroyal gtz's. 1.they are not unidirectional, so the can at least be rotated side to side, 2. they are made by Michelin.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:51 AM
hitthegopedal
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Will there be a separate "My new BFG G Force sports SUCK!!!!" thread or should this continue in here?

Vote?
The following users liked this post:
zrracer (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 12:24 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Replaced the Good Years with Michelins and couldn't be happier.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:39 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hitthegopedal
Will there be a separate "My new BFG G Force sports SUCK!!!!" thread or should this continue in here?

Vote?
Negative. Much, MUCH happier with the BFGs. Turn in is way more precise. Exactly what I was looking for....
Old 06-28-2017, 01:10 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

This guy gets it. Lol

I know exactly what the problem is. The sidewalls are about as stiff as a wet noodle. I'm looking for advice on a mid-priced tire that is more responsive from people that have firsthand experience with the Hankooks and whatever else they've tried.
Add air.

The evo 2 runs best about 34cold front and 32 cold rear.

Further, the tire will handle better as it wears a bit. New, the tread depth with this tire (most tires) makes it feel a little squishy.

Excellent tire, but needs appropriate air pressure.

And after riding on those Goodyear bricks anything would feel squishy.

Last edited by SloChicken; 06-28-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 PM
SloChicken
Racer

They need not be run flats, just have a decent sidewall. Firestone WOs are out, they run small and I'm not a fan of the stretched look

If the toe is far enough out, which the wear pattern definitely indicated, it will play a role, but it's no worse than it was before I had these limp tires installed so the difference still remains.

Looking at trying BFG sports. Had KDWIIs (the old flame pattern) on my 05 and I don't recall them feeling nearly as sloppy as the Hankooks.

They are. Drive a C6 with a decent sidewall and you won't believe the difference. Flimsy sidewalls are a well documented complaint with these tire, and I'm not new to Corvettes or driving at 11/10ths. This ain't my imagination, bro. These tires have great overall grip, but the take a week and a half to respond to steering input.
If you are such an experienced driver, then you should already know that correct air pressure can make or break a tire.

As for toe out/in.
This will affect straight line stability (toe out) and turn initiation (toe in), but caster and camber will have far more influence - particularly camber.

Last edited by SloChicken; 06-28-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM
SloChicken
Racer

What I hoped for when I posted this thread was experience and suggestions on choosing the right tire for me. Obviously I came to the wrong place. Some of you get it, most of you don't. I should have posted in the Autocross/Roadrace section, my mistake, lesson learned.

I'll let you all get back to those exciting "what's the best sounding exhaust?" threads, now....
You know,
After reading this thread, it seems to me, you come across as kind of an ***.

Just thought you may want to know - recognition is step one toward recovery.
Best of luck in your journey.

Last edited by SloChicken; 06-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by SloChicken:
Corvette_Ed (06-28-2017), ls1121 (07-01-2017), Not So Fast (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 01:27 PM
SloChicken
Racer

Originally Posted by zrracer
I hope that before you go to the "racing/autocross" section where you hope people are a lot smarter you change your attitude. People here are trying to help you after you admitted that you did not spend enough time looking for the correct tires. Did not bother to get a alignment and your rear tires a probably hard as rocks.
My comment too you was a polite way of reminding you not to be an idiot and get an alignment done asap. Your answer was rude and not helpful. Just the opposite of what you want from us.
Do U get this so far?
To be smart u just need to learn some more about car handling.
Car won't handle with bad alignment
Car won't handle as well with old and new tires mixed.
As you stated u did not do your homework. Start doing your homework and quit being a smart ***. I don't think people will want to help you when they see your posts.
If you go to weekend driving events often. Get a set of "real" track tires and a set of rims. That way you can have a set of tires and you can try to keep up with the guys who know what they are doing with tires and alignment and being safe.
Instead of asking people for help u do not want to do you would have gotten better answers if you asked better questions. For example, do I want a shorter wider tire, do I want a softer compound, do I want to change the width of both the front/rear and the aspect. How will alignment affect the car.
You are at what is the right tire pressure stage. Until you learn something about what you are doing u r going to be sitting at the back of the pack wondering why u bought the wrong tires.
Pretty much this.if you really cared, you would have a set of 18/18s.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:51 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Lets face it folks. In every forum there are people that just want to try and act like they know more than they do. Corvette forum is no different. It's a fact of forum life. It's so easy to do cause you never have to actually talk to or face the people you are trying to impress. Yea...they can be annoying, but thats just the way it is......
Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 PM
kb007
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the Hankooks on other cars and they just have a mushy sidewall.

I now have Conti Extreme Contact DWs on my C63 (19s) and they handle far better. Once the current crap on my 06 C6 is burnt, I'll probably do a new set of DWs on it too.
The following users liked this post:
ZFIDDY1 (06-29-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 04:46 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

So I bought the Michelin PS4S tires because they were rated Very Very Good for handling (cornering) and very very good in most other categories. The only other tire that could come close (according to reviews) are the Conti Extremecontact Sport Max Performance Summer Tire. I drive the same route to work every day and getting off of one interstate and onto another can be quite interesting. I had an Audi A8 attempt to follow me thru the turns last week. I love my tires .

Seems to me that you are rather rude, maybe because you are looking for the worlds Best cornering tire and are displeased with us because we cannot supply you with that tire ay wallyworld prices. Like I said before "you get what you pay for".
I have Firestone tires on my Camaro Z28 and they are fine for that car because it doesn't have the same expectations as my Corvette Z51.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!