C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:10 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

When I bought my car a couple months ago, it had new Ventus V12s on the rear and well-worn (4-5/32 remaining) original-spec Goodyear F1 GS-2 EMTs on the front. After noticing severe wear on the inner driver's side tire indicating it needs an alignment, I replaced both fronts with matching 245/40/18 Ventus V12s last night (the alignment will have to wait a few days....) so I could carry on with my weekend plans.

I'm fortunate enough to have one of the greatest roads on the planet between my house and my brother's house: Angeles Crest Highway.

Aired up to 32 psi cold (35 psi hot), while on my way to my brother's house, I experienced pretty much exactly what Car & Driver and so many others have said about these Hankooks: excellent grip, ridiculously slow response. The Goodyears, in comparison, even when severely worn, responded INSTANTLY to steering input. The Hankooks make the car feel 1,000 pounds heavier and feel faaaaaaaarrrr less accurate. The overall grip is great, but the car now feels less like a scalpel and more like a dull letter opener and is now way less entertaining in the twisties.

Not happy. At all....hopefully the alignment (going with PFADT's specs) coming later this week help to alleviate the slow response of these things, because these tires are a complete disappointment.

Looking for a tire that doesn't break the bank that will behave more like the OEM-spec Goodyears. Tryna get some precision back, not interested in "they're the best because I have them" nonsense lolz, I need for some first-hand experience and insight.....thanks in advance!
The following users liked this post:
Mickeyrx70 (06-27-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 09:16 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I read mixed reviews on those and passed...glad I went with the Toyo's
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

So, you have mixed treads and are complaining? Get a matched set first, the difference in compounds will cause the feel to be off.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Love mine, they wear excellent and look awesome.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:53 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
So, you have mixed treads and are complaining? Get a matched set first, the difference in compounds will cause the feel to be off.
Did you read the op's whole post? He said he bought the matching fronts and has no steering response G.
Originally Posted by Yarbie
Love mine, they wear excellent and look awesome.
But that is not the whole package. You would want the steering response and the handling to go with it. Your leaving a lot on the table when you buy these tires from what I have read. Good priced tires and the wear is good but weak in the handling dept.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:18 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sky High
Did you read the op's whole post? He said he bought the matching fronts and has no steering response G.

But that is not the whole package. You would want the steering response and the handling to go with it. Your leaving a lot on the table when you buy these tires from what I have read. Good priced tires and the wear is good but weak in the handling dept.
Nope, didn't see that part.

Could just be they're a gripper tire? Dunno. No tire is perfect I guess,
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by Sky High

This guy gets it. Lol

Nope, didn't see that part.

Could just be they're a gripper tire? Dunno. No tire is perfect I guess,
I know exactly what the problem is. The sidewalls are about as stiff as a wet noodle. I'm looking for advice on a mid-priced tire that is more responsive from people that have firsthand experience with the Hankooks and whatever else they've tried.

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-24-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:22 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

I ran the pilot super sport before, it had a pretty good sidewall. You might like them.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 AM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Sorry but........ Michelin PS4S, you get what you pay for.
The following 2 users liked this post by ls1121:
BigMonkey73 (06-26-2017), jbc1995fb (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:24 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,882 Likes on 1,905 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had 2 sets of them. Yes they are a little slow in steering redponce. Nitto Invos were better, but they are not on par with a run flat. M pilot sport AS + or Firestone Wide Oval are your least expensive run flats. Trade of is they give a harsher ride around town. I have the All Seasons now and will get some new ones next week.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:19 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

It's more the alignment than the tires..
Old 06-25-2017, 06:54 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'm not sure changing the alignment will give you better handling; the design is to max the handling on the street and autocross at the expense of long wear (and inner tread). That said I can't speak for the newer tires or your brand but I had great luck w. the then-new Mich. PS2 ZPs which were pricey but not as much as the orig. GYs. I've never read a bad review of the Bridgestone RFs for the C6, and can't recall a bad one on the RF Firestones. The newer Mich. (2 different ones I think) are in the pricey range. That's what I know for now. I'm glad you had good luck/handling with the two diff brands and construction of tires on your car under twisting road conditions, which would not be something I'd try.
Good luck.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Nick_04k
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the same tires and have 0 complaints. I drive the car aggressively and dont feel they are a hindrance in the slightest.
JerriVette (06-27-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 05:30 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by wayback
I had 2 sets of them. Yes they are a little slow in steering redponce. Nitto Invos were better, but they are not on par with a run flat. M pilot sport AS + or Firestone Wide Oval are your least expensive run flats. Trade of is they give a harsher ride around town. I have the All Seasons now and will get some new ones next week.
They need not be run flats, just have a decent sidewall. Firestone WOs are out, they run small and I'm not a fan of the stretched look

Originally Posted by JerriVette
It's more the alignment than the tires..
If the toe is far enough out, which the wear pattern definitely indicated, it will play a role, but it's no worse than it was before I had these limp tires installed so the difference still remains.

Originally Posted by AORoads
I'm not sure changing the alignment will give you better handling; the design is to max the handling on the street and autocross at the expense of long wear (and inner tread). That said I can't speak for the newer tires or your brand but I had great luck w. the then-new Mich. PS2 ZPs which were pricey but not as much as the orig. GYs. I've never read a bad review of the Bridgestone RFs for the C6, and can't recall a bad one on the RF Firestones. The newer Mich. (2 different ones I think) are in the pricey range. That's what I know for now. I'm glad you had good luck/handling with the two diff brands and construction of tires on your car under twisting road conditions, which would not be something I'd try.
Good luck.
Looking at trying BFG sports. Had KDWIIs (the old flame pattern) on my 05 and I don't recall them feeling nearly as sloppy as the Hankooks.

Originally Posted by Nick_04k
I have the same tires and have 0 complaints. I drive the car aggressively and dont feel they are a hindrance in the slightest.
They are. Drive a C6 with a decent sidewall and you won't believe the difference. Flimsy sidewalls are a well documented complaint with these tire, and I'm not new to Corvettes or driving at 11/10ths. This ain't my imagination, bro. These tires have great overall grip, but the take a week and a half to respond to steering input.

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-25-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:47 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by ls1121
Sorry but........ Michelin PS4S, you get what you pay for.
Decent tires need not cost $1,500 a set. Dunlop, BFG, Continental (although I once ran Contis on my old 05 Mustang GT with heavily modded suspension and they were also on the sloppy side), Nitto (not Invos- also notoriously soft sidewalls) and several others all make a decent $1,000ish set of tires, there has to be a few with stiffer sidewalls than these Hankooks....

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-25-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:05 PM
Johnny Utah
Safety Car

Location: ,fl.Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that,I had the opposite experience,I got 49k out of the rears, fronts I replaced once.
Imho they were great in the rain,and dry condition.
I never tracked the car,but had some good spirited runs.. never felt that I didn't have control of the car..now the OEM Goodyear were like bologna skins after 8k,the ride was horrible.
I had no regrets with the hankook V12,this time I went with Firestone wide ovals and so far these are better than the hankook.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:17 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
Sorry to hear that,I had the opposite experience,I got 49k out of the rears, fronts I replaced once.
Imho they were great in the rain,and dry condition.
I never tracked the car,but had some good spirited runs.. never felt that I didn't have control of the car..now the OEM Goodyear were like bologna skins after 8k,the ride was horrible.
I had no regrets with the hankook V12,this time I went with Firestone wide ovals and so far these are better than the hankook.
I don't give a **** about:
Wear
Noise
Comfort
Wet weather performance

If any of that mattered to me, I wouldn't drive a Corvette. Lol

I care about grip, responsiveness, and somewhere further down the list, price.

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-25-2017 at 06:21 PM.
GS011 (05-24-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!

Old 06-25-2017, 06:38 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by TABA5CO
I don't give a **** about:
Wear
Noise
Comfort
Wet weather performance

If any of that mattered to me, I wouldn't drive a Corvette. Lol

I care about grip, responsiveness, and somewhere further down the list, price.

Hopefully someone can help you out. But the majority of forum users don't give a hoot about cornering at walk-factor-six. They do care about wear, noise, comfort, and wet performance. The Hankooks do most things well, and will allow one to push the car to limits that most would feel uncomfortable performing. For those like you, it sounds like the V12 is not your kind of tire.
sam-garcia (06-26-2023)
Old 06-25-2017, 06:42 PM
ZFIDDY1
Racer

Originally Posted by airmed2
Hopefully someone can help you out. But the majority of forum users don't give a hoot about cornering at walk-factor-six. They do care about wear, noise, comfort, and wet performance. The Hankooks do most things well, and will allow one to push the car to limits that most would feel uncomfortable performing. For those like you, it sounds like the V12 is not your kind of tire.
Yeah, starting to pick up on that. I use my car for more than getting my golf bag to and from the country club. Lmao

Last edited by ZFIDDY1; 06-25-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM
hotrod03
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

He's right, if u mix it's scary handling!! Love mine!!

Quick Reply: My new Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s SUCK!!!!