C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Not Blowing Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:17 AM
matmanls308
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Not Blowing Cold Air

I am hoping someone can help me. Have an 08 and with a/c on it blows way cooler on the pass side compared to driver side. I am sure it does need charging. Both are set on 60 degrees. Any idea what the problem is?? Thank you!!
The following users liked this post:
jwswanson (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 08:45 AM
jwswanson
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matmanls308
I am hoping someone can help me. Have an 08 and with a/c on it blows way cooler on the pass side compared to driver side. I am sure it does need charging. Both are set on 60 degrees. Any idea what the problem is?? Thank you!!
I hate to tell you this but that situation on my '05 cost me a ton. Passenger side ran full hot while the driver side maintained the indicated temperature. Disconnecting the battery would reset everything and it might work for a day or two but the problem returned. Mechanic said it was either the controller or the "valve" on that side.

Tried the controller (expensive rebuilt) and it worked for awhile but the auto function for the fan didn't seem to work right. Replaced control head again and still had issues so tore into the system to check for a bad valve.

It turns out there are not individual valves but a ridiculous box with plastic sheeting rolled up on rollers to control distribution of cooled/heated air to the sides and that box is another very expensive item. My work was done by a local mechanic I no longer use so maybe your experience will be better than mine. Best of luck.

John
matmanls308 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 AM
jwswanson
Instructor

I should add that I stopped using the mechanic because I felt like he was overcharging me despite having used his shop for many years and many cars.

I just looked at gmpartsdirect.com and it appears to me the "box" he replaced could maybe have been rebuilt with individual components rather than replacing it in it's entirety. Would have been much cheaper if that is possible. He also charged a lot of labor based on the stated difficulty of getting to the box, maybe or maybe not.

John
matmanls308 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 222 Posts

Do you by any chance have HUD that was installed separately?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:17 PM
matmanls308
Navigator

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy
Do you by any chance have HUD that was installed separately?
No the HUD was on the care. I saw it on the build sheet so it came like that.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:21 PM
matmanls308
Navigator

Originally Posted by jwswanson
I should add that I stopped using the mechanic because I felt like he was overcharging me despite having used his shop for many years and many cars.

I just looked at gmpartsdirect.com and it appears to me the "box" he replaced could maybe have been rebuilt with individual components rather than replacing it in it's entirety. Would have been much cheaper if that is possible. He also charged a lot of labor based on the stated difficulty of getting to the box, maybe or maybe not.

John
Thank you for that info. So this would not be an diy project? Sorry I haven't even look at a breakdown or anything.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:31 PM
Sky High
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure if the C6 is the same way but a big reason in the Cadillac Deville of the early 2000's is a slightly low refrigerant charge. The passenger side gets the "cooler" end of the evaporator airflow first, so the driver's side is then starved for cool air - sort of like the hot and cool ends of a radiator. Try this first.
matmanls308 (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 05:13 PM
matmanls308
Navigator

Originally Posted by Sky High
Not sure if the C6 is the same way but a big reason in the Cadillac Deville of the early 2000's is a slightly low refrigerant charge. The passenger side gets the "cooler" end of the evaporator airflow first, so the driver's side is then starved for cool air - sort of like the hot and cool ends of a radiator. Try this first.
That is exactly what it seems like to me...low on charge. The pass side is cooler but real cold. I will for sure try this first and I hope that is all it is. If not it seems like its gonna be a pain and expensive.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:51 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Thank you for that info. So this would not be an diy project? Sorry I haven't even look at a breakdown or anything.
I did not consider trying it but it may be if you are willing to take a lot of the front panel off to get to the mechanism. Big job apparently. I'm actually hoping the other suggestions of charging the system will solve your problem and that my problem is not what you are experiencing!

If you can talk to a good C6 corvette mechanic he may be able to help decide what the actual problem is. Mine was not just slightly warmer air but rather hot air on the passenger side and cold on the driver side so that sounds a bit different than your description.

John
Old 06-26-2017, 10:44 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

First check that the clutch is engaging. Since you have some air aligns like it is.

second take a low pressure side reading wit the car running and A/C on coolest setting. Sounds like you are sitting likely around 20 psI if it's a case of low coolant. If that's the case fill to proper levels. I suggest using the coolant with sealant and oil already included.

if that all doesn't fix your problem use a manifold gauge set to take a high and low pressure reading to see if there is any sort of blockage or other issues and then work from there.

no need to dump money paying someone yet until you eliminate the easy stuff.

I had an issue like this on another car where half the car blew hot the other slightly cooled. Paid to recharge it several times. Had a leak on the low pressure side gasket that the stop leak stuff fixed. Wish I had tried that first before paying to have it recharged.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 06-26-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:52 PM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
First check that the clutch is engaging. Since you have some air aligns like it is.

second take a low pressure side reading wit the car running and A/C on coolest setting. Sounds like you are sitting likely around 20 psI if it's a case of low coolant. If that's the case fill to proper levels. I suggest using the coolant with sealant and oil already included.

if that all doesn't fix your problem use a manifold gauge set to take a high and low pressure reading to see if there is any sort of blockage or other issues and then work from there.

no need to dump money paying someone yet until you eliminate the easy stuff.

I had an issue like this on another car where half the car blew hot the other slightly cooled. Paid to recharge it several times. Had a leak on the low pressure side gasket that the stop leak stuff fixed. Wish I had tried that first before paying to have it recharged.
sorry check for blockage before using the stop leak. The stop leak if used when blockage is the problem will make it worse.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:17 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

DO NOT use stop leak...... I worked in refrigeration for almost a decade. In most cases it just makes things worse and leaves you with blockages and needing to replace a lot more than the leaky component.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Just charge the system and see what happens.

I had the same situation on my 2012GS. Took the car to Kerbeck. They tested the system for leaks and found none. The only issue found was low on refrigerant. Charged the system and its been fine ever since. This was April of 2016. Maybe you'll get lucky.

I forgot to add, my air re-circulation button was not turning off. The little light was always on and forcing more air (warm) out. That was also resolved with the charge.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 06-27-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Not Blowing Cold Air

Quick Reply: A/C Not Blowing Cold Air