C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me Z-51!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:25 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,086 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You are hard on tires !
Old 11-04-2018, 11:08 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Definitely take the C6Z over a C7 Z51. I personally think the narrow body C7s don't look that great. The C7 GS and C7 Z06 definitely look far better.

I came from a Z51 optioned C6 like yourself to a H/C/I/E C6 Z06 and couldn't be happier. Like you mentioned, it will be drastically faster than a Z51 optioned C7. I personally think the wide body C6 looks better than the wide body C7 also.

Best of luck with your decision! Beautiful WS6 btw! I had an 01 Firebird before my first C6 and enjoyed it for 10 years before selling. Was a great first car. WS6 is still one of the sexiest looking cars on the road. Especially for how old they are. They always catch my eye.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bjohn
I hear they go bad if you don't heat cycle them once in awhile haha

Sounds like you and I are on similar paths haha! I told the girlfriend that "yes", I will sell the WS6 if I buy another Corvette..... (right lol). That one is going to stick around.

Did you also notice how much different the LS7 is when you first drove it? The torque I felt barely leaning into the pedal in a H/C C6Z was unbelievable. I can't imagine how fast they are at WOT when the engine is really working. Not to mention, the wide body on the C6 looks GREAT. They really are a bargain of a car if you buy one with everything already done to it. I don't know that you can beat the value if you find a clean one. I'm strongly leaning to the C6Z, if not for the price difference alone.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing!

It's hard to judge the LS7 to the LS3 I had because the LS3 was stock. The power difference was huge though. Like you said, it doesn't take much pedal movement at all to really wake it up. WOT is an entirely different animal in comparison as well.

The widebody on the C6 definitely looks fantastic. In person, it's such a massive difference. I started to feel like my C6 was just a bit too plain looking. I wanted the side skirts, front splitter, and extended ZR1 spoiler. I quickly realized they don't look all that great on a base model in my opinion (side skirts and extended spoiler especially so). I really liked the look of the extended skirts, but they don't really make them for the base understandably so. I remember looking into getting the calipers powder coated and then also some performance mods. It started to add up quick. Asked myself if I really want to invest in this car over the next few years and keep it. The answer was no. At the end of the day, it wasn't a Z06 and I knew I wouldn't be truly content until I got one.

I was more and more envious each time I would see a GS or Z06 in passing. I always wanted a Z06, but it was a bit out of my price range about 2.5 years ago when I got my base C6. I got a better paying job about 6 months into ownership and started seriously looking after 9 months of ownership. Took about 3 months to find exactly what I was looking for, but the wait was so worth it. Bought it off an awesome guy here on the forums. Couldn't be happier with my decision. Absolutely love the car and plan to keep it for a very long time.

Take your time and be patient. I'm sure you will find the C6Z you're looking for!

Last edited by Frankie15; 11-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bjohn
I can whole heartedly second everything you said in the first couple paragraphs, and will expound upon it by saying that even the base C7 cars look a bit ordinary if you know what the wide body versions look like. Performance aside!! I had considered putting a Zr1 spoiler and carbon diffuser on my coupe here in the thread and came to the same conclusion. Why?... lol. They look odd on the coupes. ESPECIALLY the side skirts/front splitters. In my opinion they look out of place on a narrow body car.

Funny you mention buying one off of a guy from the forums here. I was creeping all day and found a REAL nice C6Z with a couple sets of wheels and tires, with all of the aftermarket stuff I would ever want (chuckles) in Elgin, IL. Being the end of the season here in Northern MN, saner minds will prevail and I'll just have to wait til spring to pull the trigger. Will be nice to save some more money, and if I'm lucky get some taxes back to throw right at the car without the liability all winter.
Exactly! I didn't want to spend all that money on those appearance mods when I honestly don't think they look great on the narrow body. The extended side skirts look so good on the wide body as it bridges the gap between the wide rear fender and wide front fender. It's perfect. I also agree that the splitter doesn't look great either. It doesn't mate up that well to the base bumper. The GS/Z06 front bumper is much better for this.

Yeah, I honestly think the narrow body C6 looks better than the narrow body C7, but not by much. Corvettes really shine as wide body models.

I highly recommend getting a C6Z on the forums. Especially since the majority of the owners will have the heads issue addressed (like mine did).

Last edited by Frankie15; 11-05-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:30 AM
Remmyman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just bought an 07 that has Z51 badges on it which led me to believe it to be a Z51 optioned Vette. After reading thru this thread it seems like these cars didn’t come with a Z51 badge. Is that correct? If so will the option codes in the glovebox if that’s where they are confirm whether or not it has the Z51 option.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

that is correct and Z51 option code will be on the glove box sticker
The following users liked this post:
Remmyman (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Remmyman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I checked the option code and it is a z51
The following users liked this post:
Creedence85 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:18 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

“Ultra-exclusive.”
Old 12-18-2018, 12:39 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

That’s the whole point, though. The Corvette is supposed to be for everyone. The polar opposite of “ultra-exclusive.”

Last edited by ProfessorDeath; 12-18-2018 at 12:39 AM.

Quick Reply: New to me Z-51!