C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Car Fast VS Fast Car Slow

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
I'm with Ed on this one!

"To answer your question, I prefer to have developed my driving skills so that breaking the tires loose or hitting the rev limiter does not cause me to lose control in either situation. Practice makes perfect."

I'm finally selling my house in NY. Time for a nice vert in Florida. I started out looking at the Miata, and must have driven 3, when I realized that even though they were fun to drive, I quickly became bored by the lack of power!
I'd much rather have a fast car, and drive it slow, maybe!
Who is Ed?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
Who is Ed?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You! But you already knew that! Your just busting my chops! No more agreeing with you!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by marinablu67
You! But you already knew that! Your just busting my chops! No more agreeing with you!
Just busting Bruze's chops, or teefs, whichever he prefers.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:50 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport

The slow car... 1971 Datsun 240Z

The faster car... 1995 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo

The fast car... 2013 Grand Sport

All 3 are fun in their own way.

Damn beautiful cars man. How much did you spend on the 240?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hotrod03
I'm sorry this thread doesn't make any real sense too me.
Some would argue slow cars that you can drive fast are more appealing or can carry more excitement than a fast car that you have to drive slow for safety and legal reasons.

I just want to see peoples stances and reasoning

Sorry you were unable to understand.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
A bit like asking..."would you rather be the dumbest smart kid in class, or the smartest dumb kid in class?"

As for your Fiero...glad you enjoy it. You are one of a select few...
I do not think that was an accurate analogy

Some would argue slow cars that you can drive fast are more appealing or can carry more excitement than a fast car that you have to drive slow for safety and legal reasons.

I just want to see peoples stances and reasoning.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
Interesting topic. I prefer higher horsepower cars because as someone previously said, I like knowing I have it under my foot if I need it/want it. I've owned 600 hp Cobra Terminators, 500 hp E60 M5's (my all time favorite car) and while rarely could I go through more than two gears without fearing reckless driving, it was those short, controlled bursts that I love coupled with the sublime exhaust notes; that S85 V10 just cannot be put into words.

The C6 base (I have a GS) might just be THE perfect amount of power to weight and that LS3 is just wonderful. The car is unbelievably quick, balanced and refined. Quite frankly I don't understand everyone who raves about the Miata and the Mini. I've driven both, and other than the go cart handling, they did nothing for *me* since straight line acceleration is an important factor in my fun cars.

Great response! I also have alot of friends that drive the BRZ/FRS/86 family of cars and they claim its better than my corvette because it handles better, But I drove their cars and I have no clue what they are talking about its nothing special
Old 06-28-2017, 09:04 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
Since you left out a lot of C6's (400-435hp and the A6) The question is irrelevant to me, if it wasn't already.
Okay ill edit it to say 400-500hp car sorry about that sir!

Can you answer now
Old 06-28-2017, 09:25 AM
arkentect
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer having a higher powered car regardless of what gear it hits 100mph in. I upgraded from a 5th Gen V6 Camaro to my '09 Z51 and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt its 100x more fun. Not too mention, the longer it takes you to hit 100mph the more time the cops have to see you trying
Old 06-28-2017, 09:48 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure why the question bewilders some.... There is a reason the Toybaru twins and Miatas exist and old cars are still fun.

The original question was on the street- I definitely prefer the Corvette even though mine falls into the "slow car" category now at only 350hp (yes, I know I'm in the wrong forum) How times have changed huh?
My two toy cars couldn't be any different. The RSX - torque? What the heck is that? But it redlines at 8200 which is a lot of fun and it sounds awesome (CAI & STOCK exhaust- no fart cans here.) The C5- basically you can't really ever be in the wrong gear... torque is so cool The 79' Spitfire? Now that's a hoot to drive on the street and it basically has 4 squirrels running on a conveyor belt to power it. Roadkill even looks bigger in that car...

On the track (PDX) there is something insanely satisfying about chasing a car that costs more than my house, with over twice the HP as my little 4-banger RSX for lap after lap. (I have some great vids of chasing a 996 911 for 5 laps until I ran out of brakes.) I remember an instructor once saying- "for you guys in the corvettes I want you to remember that that miata didn't just fall out of the sky and land behind you. If he's still there he's faster. Let him go."
Old 06-28-2017, 10:48 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

A slow car fast is better for tracking a lot. It teaches you more skill and is cheaper to operate and really is just as much fun and some would argue more fun.

But on the street where you can't really maintain momentum for safety reasons a lot of power is the way to go.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:13 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arkentect
Not too mention, the longer it takes you to hit 100mph the more time the cops have to see you trying
Old 06-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by A Fatal Stoner

I just want to see peoples stances and reasoning

Sorry you were unable to understand.
Just got mine on track for the 1st time and that was the 1st time it felt like 436hp isn't really excessive.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Also is that your vette in your profile pic
It is
Old 06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

HAHAHA I know that total bullshit

Apparently those officers that carry radars in their car take special courses to be certified in that sort of bullshit. So not every trooper/patrol can carry a radar and issue speeding tickets anyways apparently in those courses they have tests where they view clips of cars speeding and they have to be able to guess the speed of the car within 2mph

Still...thats still total bullshit. I mean if im casually accelerating next to a minivan its going to look like I just pushed the NOS button
Opinions don't play well in court. If you are driving at the speed limit in the rain and do not wreck. you are not "driving to fast for conditions" regardless of what a LEO may think. If you wreck by sliding off the road, then you are - regardless of the speed limit.... And you could be cited for it. The proof is in the result.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

An old supervisor used to always tell me...."It's better to have and not need....rather than to need and not have".....

Get notified of new replies

To Slow Car Fast VS Fast Car Slow

Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by windyC6
An old supervisor used to always tell me...."It's better to have and not need....rather than to need and not have".....
I vote for power. I feel the same way about guns. There is nothing greater than having substantial/significant power and the ability/restraint to control it without abusing the privilege.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

I have both. I have my 2012 GS and 1992 LT1 car. It's an easy choice.

The 92 is way more fun. I can run through 3 gears leaving work and it's no big deal. The 92 will break the tires loose into a very well controlled slide. The 92 has direct and heavy steering and a I near throttle response that makes down shifts easier. The 92 is a little more agile and doesn't have the incredibly high grip limits of the c6.

If I drove the c6 like I drive the c4, I'd be in jail or not having much fun. The c6 would win more races if I was doing that, but the c4 is enjoyable to drive. The C6 is fun in its own way, it looks great and sounds awesome and makes me happy.

A lot of what makes the c4 fun is how analog it is. A 300hp with all the muting that the c6 has wouldn't be anywhere near as fun (like a new v6 pony car).
Old 06-28-2017, 07:15 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,997 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I would rather have a fast car driven slowly, its always there if you need it

Quick Reply: Slow Car Fast VS Fast Car Slow