C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 08:36 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TxLefty
I prefer a manual as well, both for track/autocross and street. I just feel more in control of what is going on. However, old age and a bum knee caught up with me, so A6.
Replace that knee with a mechanical one you can be like a cyborg with monster powershifts
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z0SIS
I just hate the trend of the manual going away. The new dual clutches are superior as far as shift speed, but other than that, there's nothing that appeals to me. Bonus annoyance - extra gears in transmissions. The 7MT in the Corvette is retarded as is the 10 speed in the new Ford pickups. Six gears is optimal for just about every car on the road.
I think that 7th gear only really serves as a sorta overdrive type gear for fuel economy on the highway(LOL DESIGNING VETTES FOR FUEL ECONOMY WHO WOULDVE THOUGHT)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Bruze
The OP replied to his own post.

Must be really stoned.

The following users liked this post:
Bruze (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
I refuse to answer on the Grounds of Redundancy and this type of Post has been to death here. If you just need the post numbers throw in something New

Post numbers???

I am just new here and I want to engage with as many people as possible and discuss their viewpoints and opinions on things

I could not care less about status symbols or numbers or anything
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by raspyc6
I think I recall OP from off topic section. His "jumbo shrimp" forum name is amusing. I want the MZ6 in my late build 2008 c6 with full tune and bolts. My 2016 Acadia is an A6 but has paddle shift capacity that I rarely use. I don't tow either but I could. If I might add a thought I have come to find I pay much more attention all around driving the Vette. In the Acadia I sit back and set the CC on the interstate and in-town of course not but somehow the brake pedal comes to be my more prominent pedal.
So are you planning a 08 build or is it in progress or is it finished i didn't really understand what you said there that well.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:49 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jughead
I lied about the corvette in my profile picture that isnt mine this corvette is actually the one i own, I was thinking of adding an even bigger spoiler what do yall think?

Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,800 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
I refuse to answer on the Grounds of Redundancy and this type of Post has been to death here. If you just need the post numbers throw in something New
The OP got some of his facts wrong anyway. For example, you get charged an extra $1k+ for a manual trans when buying a new car. It used to be autos brought the premium, but no longer.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by A Fatal Stoner
Well yes your auto can do rev matching but can it downshift disengage the clutch apply brake and throttle at the same time then release the clutch when you want the power back at the wheels that is what i was referring too.
I think you need to put the bong down. And learn how to use punctuation once you're coherent.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:24 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I think you need to put the bong down. And learn how to use punctuation once you're coherent.

Meh im an engineer im good with the math not so much with the words
Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
The OP got some of his facts wrong anyway. For example, you get charged an extra $1k+ for a manual trans when buying a new car. It used to be autos brought the premium, but no longer.
In general manuals are cheaper to maintain than automatics... Especially vs a semiautomatic trans those are really expensive

Also I just went to Chevy's website and the automatic transmission is $1k+ extra for a new corvette. So I guess it depends on the vehicle

Old 06-28-2017, 09:38 AM
EVILFACE
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Will all these manual postings you'd think that is all GM made but Auto crushes it in sales. So must be lots of posers....

Oh and Automagic checkin' in.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:39 AM
A Fatal Stoner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EVILFACE
Will all these manual postings you'd think that is all GM made but Auto crushes it in sales. So must be lots of posers....

Oh and Automagic checkin' in.

If you don't believe me, I can show you my k ***

Last edited by A Fatal Stoner; 06-28-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:43 AM
marinablu67
Drifting

Received 319 Likes on 218 Posts

Manual, because it's fun to drive, and a thief/carjacker deterrent!
Old 06-28-2017, 02:16 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Richard F
The manual makes it a real sports car....
A "real" sports car has side curtains, not power windows. No radio/entertainment system, no AC, no heater, no PS or PB, no airbags, no ABS, no traction control, no power seats, no AH, no RF tires. Shall I continue? The manual trans is the only remaining relic from the past century. Glad you like it, but it'll soon be replaced by modern technology.

Meh im an engineer im good with the math not so much with the words
A good engineer must be able to communicate on an intellectual level with those who are not versed in your field of expertise. You can't sell yourself or your ideas with numbers alone.

In general manuals are cheaper to maintain than automatics.
Manuals are only cheaper right up to the day you need to replace the clutch. In the meantime, you need to learn to enjoy the task of flushing the hydraulic fluid and using the fickle shifter.

My opinion list after nearly 10 years and 145K miles.
Auto Sports Car
-Faster shift speeds
-Easy to drive
-Only one hand required for operation
-Quicker acceleration
-Automatic rev-matching
-Fingertip control of gear selection
-No skip-shift nanny
-High resale value

Manual Sports Car
-HeelToe downshift rev-matching
-High skill level needed for good launch
-Possible better MPG
-Cheaper initial price
-Car engagement required aka physical/mental commitment and ability
Old 06-28-2017, 02:22 PM
dmk0210
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 107 Posts

Manual Sports Car
-Car engagement(sense of feeling in control
That's it right there for me. I don't care about better performance from the auto.

All I care about is the level of interaction with the vehicle. Manual trans is more interactive and gives me more control.

OEMs don't seem to get that.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
A "real" sports car has side curtains, not power windows. No radio/entertainment system, no AC, no heater, no PS or PB, no airbags, no ABS, no traction control, no power seats, no AH, no RF tires. Shall I continue? The manual trans is the only remaining relic from the past century. Glad you like it, but it'll soon be replaced by modern technology.

A good engineer must be able to communicate on an intellectual level with those who are not versed in your field of expertise. You can't sell yourself or your ideas with numbers alone.

Manuals are only cheaper right up to the day you need to replace the clutch. In the meantime, you need to learn to enjoy the task of flushing the hydraulic fluid and using the fickle shifter.

My opinion list after nearly 10 years and 145K miles.
Auto Sports Car
-Faster shift speeds
-Easy to drive
-Only one hand required for operation
-Quicker acceleration
-Automatic rev-matching
-Fingertip control of gear selection
-No skip-shift nanny
-High resale value

Manual Sports Car
-HeelToe downshift rev-matching
-High skill level needed for good launch
-Possible better MPG
-Cheaper initial price
-Car engagement required aka physical/mental commitment and ability
I have to disagree with you only on that point in bold. I have seen several users in the 'For Sale' forum pass up on C6s because they are automatics.

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-28-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I have to disagree with you only on that point in bold. I have seen several users in the 'For Sale' forum pass up on C6s because they are automatics.
When searching for both my previous C5 and my current C6, I had the search filter set to manual only. I wouldn't even consider an auto.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car

Old 06-28-2017, 03:43 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

I remember my first time posting on the forums
Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

well it appears we have a mass case of retreating-******** syndrome spreading through C6 forum land...

autos outsell manuals yet my calculator watch tells me 90+% of replies in this thread are from manual owners (or auto people too embarrassed to admit it).

anyway, i've owned 6 manuals in a row and the only drawback is it's becoming difficult to find a manual---my latest suv is a wrangler partly b/c it comes with a stick.

auto trans people with retracted *********: although the warm and cozy spot next to your spleen sounds very relaxing....... allow your testes to re-emerge into society. and not to worry, its ok to admit your car sorta drives itself. come forth and identify yourselves!!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:15 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Every car I've ever owned has been a manual. It was never a question for me when I was C6 shopping. The C6 automatic is just an old slush pump. If it had been something more advanced I might have given it a second thought but probably still would have gone manual anyway. The M7 in the C7 makes no sense to me, seems to me you need a sequential shifter to be able to properly handle more than 6 speeds in a manual box. Now I might actually be interested in a dual clutch 8-10 speed one of these days if I live so long.

Quick Reply: Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car