C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:21 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by NOWUCME
I refuse to answer on the Grounds of Redundancy and this type of Post has been to death here. If you just need the post numbers throw in something New
....Kinda looks like these "Survey" post are starting to become to frequent. And it may be the same OP doing that last couple. Hope this is the last one unless there is something we haven't already surveyed here in Corvette forum....and that is doubtful....
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
mtnman
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Gee, I don't think this topic has ever been covered before
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
well it appears we have a mass case of retreating-******** syndrome spreading through C6 forum land...

autos outsell manuals yet my calculator watch tells me 90+% of replies in this thread are from manual owners (or auto people too embarrassed to admit it).

anyway, i've owned 6 manuals in a row and the only drawback is it's becoming difficult to find a manual---my latest suv is a wrangler partly b/c it comes with a stick.

auto trans people with retracted *********: although the warm and cozy spot next to your spleen sounds very relaxing....... allow your testes to re-emerge into society. and not to worry, its ok to admit your car sorta drives itself. come forth and identify yourselves!!
Although I did have a few autos throughout my life (used) I got tired of shifting cars, motorcycles, tractors, etc. and bought my first new auto in '98 (an S-10) and never looked back.

When I was looking for my C6 it HAD to be a low-mileage, bone-stock auto coupe.

Aside from that, BLACK WHEELS SUCK. And: I saw two C7s today, first guy (who I know) waved, 2nd didn't.

Name:  machinegun_zpse085683c.gif
Views: 94
Size:  2.8 KB
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
KellyP
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Bee
well it appears we have a mass case of retreating-******** syndrome spreading through C6 forum land...

autos outsell manuals yet my calculator watch tells me 90+% of replies in this thread are from manual owners (or auto people too embarrassed to admit it).

anyway, i've owned 6 manuals in a row and the only drawback is it's becoming difficult to find a manual---my latest suv is a wrangler partly b/c it comes with a stick.

auto trans people with retracted *********: although the warm and cozy spot next to your spleen sounds very relaxing....... allow your testes to re-emerge into society. and not to worry, its ok to admit your car sorta drives itself. come forth and identify yourselves!!
LOL! Ever notice its usually the Manual tranny owners that try to convince everybody that the transmission they drive is best? Maybe the auto guys are happy with the superior setup and don't care if you know or not.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Dr Bee
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KellyP
LOL! Ever notice its usually the Manual tranny owners that try to convince everybody that the transmission they drive is best? Maybe the auto guys are happy with the superior setup and don't care if you know or not.
probably. it's painful to say it... but most modern auto trans are simply faster and more efficient, in fact i think this is one reason some hypercar manufacturers are phasing out manuals. that said, the feel of the manual cannot be replaced and i hope they never completely go away (for the sake of my *********).
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Ruby Supercar
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

My C5 has the A4, and I love it. Didn't even consider a manual. I DD on 30 miles of congested freeway, and punching a clutch 100 times every morning is not my idea of "more fun to drive".
Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I've had 61 cars. 20 were manuals, 40 were autos, and 1 started out as a manual and I converted it to auto to race in a different class. My last manual was 20 years ago and yet both ********* hang lower than ever. Other parts haven't fared as well.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

You answered your own question with your response. If you can't figure out how, be happy in your oblivion.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:07 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by A Fatal Stoner
Meh im an engineer im good with the math not so much with the words
I'm an engineer myself, yet I'm capable of typing a complete and coherent sentence with correct punctuation. Like I said, put the bong down.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM
danzio56
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruby Supercar
My C5 has the A4, and I love it. Didn't even consider a manual. I DD on 30 miles of congested freeway, and punching a clutch 100 times every morning is not my idea of "more fun to drive".
I think this just about sums it up for me. I'm shopping for my first ever Corvette and although most of the cars I've owned in my lifetime have been manual t's, I've found as I grow older the definition of "fun" does change a bit.

When I first started shopping for my C6 I was dead set on a MT. Then I test drove one and after only a couple of miles my right brain was telling my left knee that this just wasn't gonna' work FOR ME and since I also drive in a high traffic area, I am shopping for an AT. However, I do plan on retiring in a less congested area and will probably get this knee replaced. Once that happens there is a very good chance that my next Vette' will be named Manuel.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't really see many people trying to "convince" others that manual is the best (even though it is ). I drive a manual because I find it much more fun to drive and it's a more engaging experience. It's all about personal preference. Your definition of "superior" is clearly different than mine, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Had many manuals throughout my hot rodding career also....almost 50 years to date. My C-6 is an auto. Most important thing to me at time of purchase was low miles and color....amoungst great condition of course (we must be perfectly clear here in Corvette forum...LOL). Do I wish I had a manual...sometimes. Am I glad I have an auto....sometimes. They both have their plus and minus'es. The only thing that really cracks my egg is when people with autos (the paddles) get in here and say that using the paddles is just like driving a manual. Sorry folks.....the paddles in these C-6's will never replace the driving experience of a manual. Just like targa owners saying targas are the same as a vert....oops...sorry......
Old 06-29-2017, 11:13 AM
*Trip*
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

At 55 I've never owned an automatic car... This does not include company suv, or my wife's van... Those are not cars and I don't think a stick is even available...

If it's not your only vehicle and aren't forced to suffer in hours of traffic jams...... Corvettes are just more fun with a stick..... They aren't faster, or convenient, or safer, or better gas mileage, or better launching or less expensive, and I don't think this makes me cooler than you..... It's just more Fun! If you don't agree, then you just might not be doing it right..... Hehe...

And the bonus is, I don't have to share with my wife, because even tho she learned to drive a stick as a teenager.... She a bit scared of it in a performance car.... Once she asked why I always buy a manual ......i had a great answer back then.... "Cobras don't offer an auto tranny".....
Old 06-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

It's all about the 'experience' for sure. I'd sooner drive a manual but I own an auto, not sure why. It's not going to make me get rid of mine. Sound's like the new C8 might be auto only which is the way the competition has gone already.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:23 PM
KellyP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
You answered your own question with your response. If you can't figure out how, be happy in your oblivion.
I did use the term "usually" as in, not always.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 PM
KellyP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Frankie15
I don't really see many people trying to "convince" others that manual is the best (even though it is ). I drive a manual because I find it much more fun to drive and it's a more engaging experience. It's all about personal preference. Your definition of "superior" is clearly different than mine, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:40 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

I did use the term "usually" as in, not always.
Nope. That's not it.

Get notified of new replies

To Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car

Old 06-29-2017, 03:59 PM
Nybbler
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I currently own an automatic, but I miss driving a manual. I wish I would've waited until I found one with a manual. Other than that, I'm quite happy with my car for now.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Nybbler
I currently own an automatic, but I miss driving a manual. I wish I would've waited until I found one with a manual. Other than that, I'm quite happy with my car for now.
Yea...sometimes I wish I would have waited too. But then I keep reading all this stuff about having to perform the "Ranger Effect" about every 20 - 30 miles on a manual and it scares me.......

Last edited by windyC6; 06-29-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Major points
  • Automatics (and future self driving and electric cars) are the future so deal with it
  • Automatics are easier to drive
  • Automatics are better in heavy traffic
  • Automatics (with or w/o paddle shift) are faster on race tracks
  • Manuals are a PITA in traffic
  • Manuals require more skill
  • Manuals are more fun and put the "skill" in driving.
  • Manuals require you to pay attention to the driving environment and the car itself

Conclusion ... The future is automatic, the past is manual. But IMHO the only car to enjoy is a manual.

Quick Reply: Auto Sports Car VS Manual Sports Car