C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know what this is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:34 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Anyone know what this is?

I was under my 2008 C6 with F55 when I noticed this little arm hanging free under the drivers side (I think it's attached to the suspension control arm)...I think it's a tiny control arm for a sensor, but not sure what sensor to order...any help?

The sensor arm that this attaches to broke off.

Last edited by joliett; 06-28-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks like part of the suspension position sensor:

http://www.autozone.com/engine-manag...rolet/corvette
The following users liked this post:
joliett (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,184 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Yep, you're F55 should be throwing codes is that is not connected. If it's not, you must not drive your car very hard. Seriously, I had that exact part break about a year into owning my GS, and it would be fine until I hit a big bump or took some aggressive turns, then I'd get a DIC message about the suspension.
joliett (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Evan70
Yep, you're F55 should be throwing codes is that is not connected. If it's not, you must not drive your car very hard. Seriously, I had that exact part break about a year into owning my GS, and it would be fine until I hit a big bump or took some aggressive turns, then I'd get a DIC message about the suspension.
Simple version: That shock is no longer receiving updated information to make adjustments, since there is no sensor to send requests. Don't delay in fixing the problem, because the extra forces put on the shock that's stuck in one position will eventually kill it.
joliett (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 12:00 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,109 Likes on 690 Posts

Is it this one? $30 on Amazon when everybody else seems to want $140

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-30-2017, 02:02 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

I bought this one on ebay for $43:
Brand New Front Left Suspension Height Sensor For Chevrolet Corvette ER10035

If you look carefully at the photo, it apparently has the same manufacturer as the expensive ones.

It arrives tomorrow! Can't wait to install it!

Thanks to everyone who responded!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:55 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Simple version: That shock is no longer receiving updated information to make adjustments, since there is no sensor to send requests. Don't delay in fixing the problem, because the extra forces put on the shock that's stuck in one position will eventually kill it.
How do you know this? It doesn't seem correct... whatever position the sensor is in, the shock was designed to operate.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:15 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joliett
How do you know this? It doesn't seem correct... whatever position the sensor is in, the shock was designed to operate.
Yes, it won't hurt the shock to run in whatever position it's in. If I remember correctly, when the system detects an issue it will set all the shocks to either full firm or full soft (can't remember which). It will also set a "max speed" (80MPH?).
joliett (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:05 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Yes, it won't hurt the shock to run in whatever position it's in. If I remember correctly, when the system detects an issue it will set all the shocks to either full firm or full soft (can't remember which). It will also set a "max speed" (80MPH?).
Not so on my '08. I had a shock connector come off and the DIC message was "service ride control" and "max speed 158". I had no problem as high as 140. After checking the code that located the problem, I snapped the connector back on. The downside was that it was off too long and ruined that shock.
The 158 mph limitation is a fact for some other issues, such as TC on and failure of the electrical system to maintain sufficient voltage. The car will totally shut down at 9 volts. The 55 mph warning for flat tires is merely a warning, not a limitation.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:51 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Couldn't remember for sure what the max speed was with service active handling. I thought 158 sounded more accurate, but saw another post that said 80. Anyway, speed limitation IS directly a result of service active handling issues, although it can also be caused by other things. Low tire pressure will cause some other serious issues, mainly around TC/AH kicking in during aggressive handling. Had a buddy that one of the TPMS sensors went bad while we were running Arkansas back roads and it really screwed with the handling.

Out of curiosity, how long was the connector off on your car (or how long were you getting the service message)? Mine was probably 500-700 miles and the shock was fine. It was also fixed under warranty, so if the connector being off was going to cause shock failure they would have changed the shock. I've never seen anyone else have this issue due to it being off, so I would guess your shock failure was coincidental. Of course, if it was off for like 5,000 miles I could see maybe that being an issue. Like I said before, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the system will default to either the softest or stiffest setting if it detects a fault, but I could be thinking of the older F45/FX3 systems. I could see the shock not getting current from the system potentially causing it to fail if driven on, but I would think GM made the system smart enough to keep the shock energized even with one of the sensors failing.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Couldn't remember for sure what the max speed was with service active handling. I thought 158 sounded more accurate, but saw another post that said 80. Anyway, speed limitation IS directly a result of service active handling issues, although it can also be caused by other things. Low tire pressure will cause some other serious issues, mainly around TC/AH kicking in during aggressive handling. Had a buddy that one of the TPMS sensors went bad while we were running Arkansas back roads and it really screwed with the handling.

Out of curiosity, how long was the connector off on your car (or how long were you getting the service message)? Mine was probably 500-700 miles and the shock was fine. It was also fixed under warranty, so if the connector being off was going to cause shock failure they would have changed the shock. I've never seen anyone else have this issue due to it being off, so I would guess your shock failure was coincidental. Of course, if it was off for like 5,000 miles I could see maybe that being an issue. Like I said before, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the system will default to either the softest or stiffest setting if it detects a fault, but I could be thinking of the older F45/FX3 systems. I could see the shock not getting current from the system potentially causing it to fail if driven on, but I would think GM made the system smart enough to keep the shock energized even with one of the sensors failing.
It was off for more than 10K miles, most of which was on a road trip. I was way beyond the warranty period and the car didn't drive any different, so I put it off for a bit. That was a mistake, because the shock was left in one state, but the car continued to move the piston through the fluid regardless.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:15 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

That is interesting. I didn't think the connector being off would ruin a shock, but now that you explain it, it makes sense.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:02 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by AORoads
That is interesting. I didn't think the connector being off would ruin a shock, but now that you explain it, it makes sense.
I'm not 100% positive that's the cause, but from the evidence of internal damage/breakage, that appears to be the only logical reason. You can only attempt to push and pull a piston through dense fluid for so long until something gives up.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:05 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

The sensor was off my car for an undetermined amount of time. I changed the sensor today, and the suspension seemed to be more stiff on the softer setting.

Tip for changing the sensor is to use a 1/4" socket set.

Also the old sensor breaking did not throw any codes...It was found by my alignment shop.

Vroom, vroom, vroom...

Last edited by joliett; 07-02-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Just one more comment..that one suspension sensor affected the entire feel of the F55 magnetic shocks. I thought the shocks were wearing ouyt...softer ride, and I had to set it to the stiff settings to get the car to perform.

BUT, now that I found and changed the damaged suspension sensor, the car stiffened up and the suspension performs so much better. These F55 shocks are really fine. The suspension sensors feed road and suspension information to the magnetic shocks, adjusting the magnetic particles in the shocks in milliseconds. That's what an active suspension should be doing...

I have 140K miles on my baby, and the shocks feels like new....especially now combined with my new Michelin run-flat tires.

I think these cars would benefit from a yearly or so check with the GM scan tool to check that the sensors are all working properly. (Yes, the Scan Tool can check for the proper operation of all 4 suspension sensors.)

Lastly, the broken sensor did not throw any system trouble codes. The little arm that connects to the suspension was hanging down...and the sensor's face was sheared off.

Last edited by joliett; 07-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know what this is?

Quick Reply: Anyone know what this is?