C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by PDsVettes
Here is the driver link needed for the VM XP that the TIS2000 is going to run native in and will need to be installed in the VM shell for the usb cable.
https://support.automationdirect.com.../usbrs232.html
On the above link, several older OS's are listed for the driver downloads, one being MS Vista. However in the minimum system requirements sections for the OS, Vista is not listed. Do you know if the Tech II clones and any other associated hardware/software can be used with a computer running MS Vista?
TS2000 and WIN software only runs on XP ,the drivers that are listed are for the USB to RS232 port adapter you have to by if your computer does not have a 232 port

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 07-26-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:10 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks, Dave.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Welcome
Old 07-26-2018, 07:06 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I have set up machines to either dual boot into XP to run TIS2000, as well as built a VM XP shell on win10 machines to run Tis2000 as well.

Hell, if your running the VX nano (mdi clone), then the quick way to pull such off, it to set up boots up in win XP, Win 7, and Win 10 on a single machine.

Hence XP to run Tis2000 native, Win 7 to run tech2win native, and Win 10 for normal use, including VM'g GDS2 as needed as well.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:06 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Just got my Tech 2... 5 days DHL. The Invoice was marked $80 auto diagnostic tool.

Last edited by oemtech; 07-31-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dano523
I have set up machines to either dual boot into XP to run TIS2000, as well as built a VM XP shell on win10 machines to run Tis2000 as well.

Hell, if your running the VX nano (mdi clone), then the quick way to pull such off, it to set up boots up in win XP, Win 7, and Win 10 on a single machine.

Hence XP to run Tis2000 native, Win 7 to run tech2win native, and Win 10 for normal use, including VM'g GDS2 as needed as well.
Dano , not to hijack the thread but what do I need to run the VX Nano and I would really like to have something I can use on my C7 . does it need Windows 7 or can I run it on Windows 10 ?

Will it give me all the control and diagnostic abilities I had when I was using the tech ll on my C6 ?

I am not worrying about flashing any modules , just want the ability to get into them and control what is there

Thanks !
Dave
Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

ON the VX nano, sometimes you can get Tech2win to run on win 10 (maybe if you have an AMD chip or not, but have not figure that one out yet), while on my i7 machine, Tech 2 win will not run in win 10 instead.
Tech2win is the program that works just like a Tech II, but the program running on a laptop for the MDI (clone MDI device which the Nano is).
GDS2 is the program for the C7, like the tech II and tech2win with midi is for the C6 instead.
On the VM GDS 2 , you don't need an account with GM to use it, short of needing to do SPS programming, which you will need a TDS SPS subscrition instead ($40 for 2 years per car).

So the low down for most laptops,
Wants to be running in win 10 for TDS SPS programming.
Needs to be running a multi core chip in win 7 or above to run VM player for VM GDS2.
Need to be running in Win 7 native (32 or 64 bit) to run Tech2win (will not work in a VM shell).
Tis2000 needs to run in WinXP or built vmXP shell, so it can be native in XP or in a VM shell so long as you have a multicore processor.

So the way I do it, since Tech2win will not run native on my machine with a I7 processes in win 10, I have a dual boot up in win 7 and win 10 both.

Win 10 is used to run pretty much everything I run, short of Tech2 win, which I use the win 7 64 boot up to run it.

So in the Win 7 dual boot up (small 40 gig partition off the drive), have tech2win to use the Nano as a Tech II, plus VM GMSI, and Tis2000 in a VM shell since I may need them as well for the VX nano running as a tech II when running in win 7.

In win 10 boot up,
VM GDS2 V17
TDS using internet explorer native with account
Vm Tis2000 built on a full XP OS with account
VM GMSI

If you want to just run a single OS system, instead of a dual boot up machine since you can't get Tech2 win to run in win10, then you can run pretty much run everything in win 7 (32 or 64 bit), so long as you have a CPU that has muliti cores. Hence you going to need to run at least VM player for the VM shells, and it take as multi core processor to run VM player (or VM workstation).
Note, I have VM workstation, instead of just VM player, since I build other VM shells to run in windows as well.

So again, it really just depends on your machine, and if you Tech2win will run correctly on it or not.
Hence the problem is when you open Tech2win, you need to get three pop up screens once Tech2win start the program.
The first screen will ask you you what country, and you select north America.
Name:  RnQcxEz.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  60.3 KB

The second pop up will ask you if the device is a MDI 1 or MDI 2, and you select Mdi 1.
Name:  fn59cDN.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  79.6 KB

The third pop up screen will ask you if you want to select the USB device (the nano plugged into a USB port), you select it, then it will take you to the Tech2win start screen.
Name:  6T3ER3l.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  73.2 KB

So if you open Tech2win, and you don't get the three pop up screens but just goes directly to tech2win main start screen below instead, then Tech2win is not going to work on your machines win 10 . Hence the problem is a glitch in midi and tech2 win interface to select the nano to begin with (what the pop up screens are), and if you can't select the nano via the pop up screens, tech2win will not connect to the nano in the first place.
Name:  wXjoF4l.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  117.9 KB

Again don't know if this is a AMD verse Intel CPU problem in win 10, but the only laptops that I have seen run Tech2win in windows 10, just happened to be laptops running a AMD CPU instead. And yes, have tried to skin the cat many way with added drivers and compatibility modes, and it's driver/code line that win 10 does not have for the intel CPU (but seems to to have for the AMD CPU that is a carry over from the win 7 days to make the AMD chip work with win 10 instead).
The following users liked this post:
Dcasole (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Thank you once again Dano .....very good explanation that I can understand !!

Off to order one from Amazon now that I know what I need to make it work , then to dig out one of my Windows 7 disks ....
Dave
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Thank you once again Dano .....very good explanation that I can understand !!

Off to order one from Amazon now that I know what I need to make it work , then to dig out one of my Windows 7 disks ....
Dave
Again, load the Midi install from the white disc, then tech2win install, then vx midi manager driver first in win 10 (in this order from the white disc), go into open VX manager to do a quick update on the nano and register/activate it, then see if Tech2 win works correctly to begin with in win 10 on your machine. Hence it if will run on your machine correctly in win 10, then you will not need win 7 instead.

If Tech2win does not run correctly in win 10 (don't get the pop up screens), then go into uninstall and un install Tech2win and MIDI since you won't need them in win 10, then set up the machine for a dual boot with win 7 next. The way I run win 7 is for just tech2win, just did a small 40g partition off my 1T SSD drive, since it's all the win7 boot up is used for on my Win 10 machine. Hence HP tuner, efi live,Scan master and other programs I use for for cars, is set up in win 10 isntead.

Also if Tech2win will not run in win 10, there is the option of just running everything in win 7, if you just want to have a multi-core laptop set up for just working on the cars just running win 7 alone.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:27 PM
n8goodrow
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Would somebody be able to point out which Tech 2 folks are purchasing from Aliexpress:

https://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/g...channel=direct

There's a few there, looking for my 2013 GS.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2018, 09:42 PM
boovy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boovy
My new techii device bought from http://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/t...h-tis2000.html US$239.00
Here has a lot of folks give 5star,I believe folk's choice.
It is in perfect working order and has the screen cover.
Also included is the TIS2000 software which you will need to access the security to program keys
My Tech 2 (clone, works great) for my C5 (99) just for the Automated Bleed so I could completely flush the brake system particularly for the EBCM !!! Have since used the crap out of it, ECM/PCM re-learn, crank sensor re-learn etc !!!!

Also use it to exercise my ABS motor every 3 months.
C5 has the built in ability to pull vehicle specific DTC's right in the DIC and those can be exceptionally helful in diagnosing and correcting common C5 issues.

There are a number of functions in addition to diagnostic trouble shooting that can be accomplished with the Tech II.
and another is the ability to program out unwanted features such as F45 or F55 RPO's ar program RPO's into a replacement BCM.

Do recognize that the tool have extremely limited ability to change settings in either the PCM or BCM. To accomplish change you need a programming tool such as HP Tuners or EFI Live and they can change only PCM settings.

they're very easy to use,just follow the display,and look around till you get tired,,and try reading ''live data'' as much as you can,it speeds up the learning curve,,and try it on as many GM cars/trucks as you can too
Old 11-29-2018, 08:59 AM
n8goodrow
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Boovy for the reply, just ordered one.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:56 PM
boovy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your welcome,@n8goodrow
Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default TIS 2000 BINARIES above 2008......???

This might be a strange one but, the TIS 2000 CD going around seems to only go up to about 2008 with binaries for flashing

2008 or earlier modules.

I had a customer call here a few years back that bought a TECH II online and he claimed he had a CD (or hard drive) that came with it

with everything necessary to flash all vehicles from the beginning up to 2013.

I've never seen, heard of, touched, held, or believed that something like this existed with the exception of this fella.

Have any of you ever heard anything like this?

Thanks
Chuck CoW
Old 12-22-2018, 03:37 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Correct, the TIS200 cracked discs comes with all the binaries as part of of the discs to flash from 1981, up to 2008 without out having to connect to GM.
If your using it to flash past 2008, then you need a working account subscription so it can connect to GM to pull the needed binaries from the GM site, to flash them into later car modules.

So to answer your question, if the Tis2000 discs that he received would flash up to say 2013 (would connect to GM to pull the needed files), then his discs came with a GM current subscription working account as well.

Hence around 2009, is where GM wanted to move to on line programming, but since some shops did not have fast enough internet needed to pull down the file for everything, TIS200 will still pull down the needed files as needed to flash later car modules with a working account. When GM ditched the Tech II and moved to MDI's with GDS2, that's when GM~AC Delco went to all on-line alone for everything, and included Tech2 win program so the MDI could be used as a Tech2 for the older cars.

So on say a 2009 car, and not having/ wanting to pay for a full GM service account that will be in the thousands of dollars to flash 2009 cars or later using TIS2000 that would need to pull the files down via the internet, it's just cheaper to use TDS on-line @ $40 per vin number for just the needed SPS flashing that way isntead. Hence the $40 per vin will just get you on line SPS programming alone, and pretty much all that you used the cracked Tis2000 for older cars as well.

Simply, we can break the programs/tools as such with a full GM subscription.
You have what the Tech2 and Tech2Win program with a MDI will do stand alone.
Then there is GMSI, which is the service manuals.
There is SPS, which is the firmware part of the math to firmware flash module.
In the case newer cars that don't use a Tech2 but MDI instead, you have GDS2 that does what a tech2 itself did for the older cars.
And again, there is Tech2win, which allows you to use a MDI as a tech II on the older cars.

In TIS2000, there were a few programs to check and update the Tech II, but since the clones come with the last updates to the Tech2's, it not a program that you use anyway.

So the $40 TDS subscription, only gets you the SPS part of the above math only, and the way GM and AC-Delco sees it, only to flash in each replacement type module once per car.
Note, there is a work around is you need to reflash another same type replacement module if the first flashed replacement module was bad, but they have to reset the account so allow you to flash the same module a second time instead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

Last edited by Dano523; 12-22-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:22 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Thank you.

Originally Posted by Dano523
Correct, the TIS200 cracked discs comes with all the binaries as part of of the discs to flash from 1981, up to 2008 without out having to connect to GM.
If your using it to flash past 2008, then you need a working account subscription so it can connect to GM to pull the needed binaries from the GM site, to flash them into later car modules.

So to answer your question, if the Tis2000 discs that he received would flash up to say 2013 (would connect to GM to pull the needed files), then his discs came with a GM current subscription working account as well.

Hence around 2009, is where GM wanted to move to on line programming, but since some shops did not have fast enough internet needed to pull down the file for everything, TIS200 will still pull down the needed files as needed to flash later car modules with a working account. When GM ditched the Tech II and moved to MDI's with GDS2, that's when GM~AC Delco went to all on-line alone for everything, and included Tech2 win program so the MDI could be used as a Tech2 for the older cars.

So on say a 2009 car, and not having/ wanting to pay for a full GM service account that will be in the thousands of dollars to flash 2009 cars or later using TIS2000 that would need to pull the files down via the internet, it's just cheaper to use TDS on-line @ $40 per vin number for just the needed SPS flashing that way isntead. Hence the $40 per vin will just get you on line SPS programming alone, and pretty much all that you used the cracked Tis2000 for older cars as well.

Simply, we can break the programs/tools as such with a full GM subscription.
You have what the Tech2 and Tech2Win program with a MDI will do stand alone.
Then there is GMSI, which is the service manuals.
There is SPS, which is the firmware part of the math to firmware flash module.
In the case newer cars that don't use a Tech2 but MDI instead, you have GDS2 that does what a tech2 itself did for the older cars.
And again, there is Tech2win, which allows you to use a MDI as a tech II on the older cars.

In TIS2000, there were a few programs to check and update the Tech II, but since the clones come with the last updates to the Tech2's, it not a program that you use anyway.

So the $40 TDS subscription, only gets you the SPS part of the above math only, and the way GM and AC-Delco sees it, only to flash in each replacement type module once per car.
Note, there is a work around is you need to reflash another same type replacement module if the first flashed replacement module was bad, but they have to reset the account so allow you to flash the same module a second time instead.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
Thank you. I know my way around the system pretty well..... I just wanted to see if there was any truth to this customer

swearing to me that he has a TIS2000 CD with up to 2013 binaries on it....

I don't believe it, but I'm hopeful..... You can't just add the binaries to the CD because there would be no directory (because it's online only)

to tell TIS where the binaries are for each vin #......

Still hoping it's true....... But I doubt it.

Thank you.
Chuck CoW

Old 12-22-2018, 05:44 PM
Dano523
Race Director

There is a way to update the directories and binaries up to 2013 in TIS2000, but GM is pretty select about releasing that release on TIS2000 on a case by case bases.

The basic rule for GM to allow that download to TIS2000, is only for long time remote customers that do not have a fast enough Internet access so they pull what is needed on line, and need to have all the files up to 2013 that TIS2000 would cover using a Tech II as the pass through device for flashing.

As noted, GM want to move the system to on line for the most part for security reasons, but there are many shops around the world that internet access speeds are not fast enough to use the system that way instead. So really, the line was drawn in the sand on the change from Tis2000 and the Tech II, to the introduction of the MDI with it software running on later OS system that is all on-line driven isntead.

So someone having TIS200 with directories up to 2103 and the needed binaries to go with it, not out of the question, but with it chewing up a lot of hard drive space on a XP machine, why would you want to use the system that way short of having no internet access to begin with.

Hell to prove it, they just need to open TIS2000, go to SPS, and their model year selection will go up to 2013 in the preparing to communication directly menu.

The rest of us since our model year directories only go to 2008, will just let SPS pull the Vin number, let the program connect to GM to pull the needed information for the later years, and use online to pull the needed firmware from GM that way instead.
The following users liked this post:
72greg (09-26-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Old 09-26-2019, 09:59 PM
72greg
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.obd2eshop.com/wholesale/t...h-tis2000.html

Ordered this unit, no issues on alibaba site using PayPal, fwiw.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:56 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 72greg

I thought these things were $80? The one on your link is $220
Old 10-29-2019, 03:55 PM
67miata
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 72greg

It’s been a month. Have you received it yet? As advertised?

Quick Reply: Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased