C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:02 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by RC4G
email address?
On the link you posted its on the left column under 'Service Center' Contact Now. They replied back to me within a couple hours.

After I had placed my order our emails were pretty quick.
Now I don't know if there are special hoops you have to jump thru to use PP, as I said I used a 1 time CC anyway. At no time did I regret buying from them.
The following users liked this post:
Icecap (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
These are THE GM scan tool for GM cars and most trucks only from early OBD1 91-92 up to MOST 2013 OBD2.
So does MOST 2013 OBD2 include my 2013 GS?

Really tempting but really scary dealing with these Chinese sites.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:52 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Moore
Well, after reading hundreds of posts here and elsewhere on these Tech2's I just had to get one. I learned tons from all the guys that have also purchased these from here on CF and thanks to you guys for giving your buying experiences good and bad. Too many names to list here but I'm sure I read every post here concerning these units.

I have my C6, 07 2500 GMC, 09 Cobalt that it will work on. Have another scan tool for our foreign cars.

Surprises were, this thing is bigger than I thought. It's a foot tall by 6" wide. It needs the velcro straps it comes with.
Shipping was a shocker. China to Cincinnati in two days. Ordered it Sunday evening, they processed it quickly, shipped it Monday morning and it was sitting on my front porch today, Wednesday by noon.

I bought without plastic carton. $250.00 total, free ship to USA by DHL.
Tested it on my GMC truck and all seems fine. Connector for older OBD1 as well for 91-95,6 too. Latest software for GM 33.004.

I need to dig up the post on the storage case a member here bought from HF. It looked to be a perfect case for this unit.

The memory card works in either slot, I tried both although the disc says to install in upper slot. It's a tight fight because the spring loaded door doesn't quite open enough for the card to slide in easily. I got it in with a touch of prying. Not a big deal.

Entire purchase process was easy with no problems at all. It is a great scan tool kit for not much money. Time will tell how it holds up long term but from other members reports they are getting years out of them.

Sorry about the lousy pics.

Thanks for posting this, it's just what I've been looking for. As soon as I finish this post I'm ordering one too. I recently saw how vital a Tech 2 is when my grandson played with and left the dome light on in my wifes Chevy Cruze. The battery was nearly dead so when she tried to start the car the starter solenoid clicked rapidly and then the Air bag warning light suddenly came on and stayed on logging an erroneous code. I took it to a small local garage to get the fault cancelled and turn the light out but they couldn't access the airbag module with an OBDII scanner and needed a Tech 2.

My daily driver is a VW TDI and I purchased the VW-AG VCDS specific software and dongle shortly after I bought the car and it saved me from some expensive dealer visits many times over. It also enabled me to recode my pulses per mile to correct a bad indicated speed error, to activate the window valet which is built into the ECM but normally requires a dealer visit to activate the feature and when bleeding the brakes on that car it required activating and running the ABS pump while bleeding the brakes.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Icecap; 06-29-2017 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:17 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,237 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

Yes your 13 is covered , most only means the models that use a different communications bus , your 13 is still using the CAN bus which the candi module that is included is for

Buy a one time use gift amex card and use that for payment . As others have stated they actually ship fast ..mine showed up in 4 days

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 06-29-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

No Problem Icecap, hope it serves you well.

dr_gallup, I can't answer if your GS will be covered. What I remember reading is GM began moving over to MDI somewhere in late 2012 for Corvette and as early as 2010 for other GM lines so some of the cars still used OBD2 and some got the new MDI. Before I purchased I would do some research to be certain which system your Vet has.

Look under your dash to see which connector it has.
If this site is accurate it looks like your 13 GS is still OBD2/Tech2.
http://www.oemtools.com/homeproducts/generalmotors.html

But please, before you buy do your research.

Thanks Dave, you have better reaction time than I do.

Last edited by J.Moore; 06-29-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

I don't know about all the Chinese Web based stores out there but the ones I have dealt with, AliExpress and Lightinthebox were both excellent as far as their products quality and the service and speed of shipping. Since the vast majority of the things we buy and use lately say Made in China anyway, including many expensive high end products I thought it was worth a try.

I've purchased firearms accessories (lasers & red dot sights), various electronic components and most recently 2 GPS, dash cam, backup camera, blue tooth (phone) and Digital Video Recorder units combined into a high definition touch screen rear view mirror head. These units have worked perfectly going on 2 years now and the units look factory installed and are hard wired into the vehicles.

You might occasionally run into a language or communication problem but mostly they are very helpful and respond within a day.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 AM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 305 Likes on 220 Posts

I tried to purchase this with my debit card and I got a popup stating I needed to do an Appeal Process to validate my debit card. The Appeal Process requires me to photocopy my Drivers License, credit card, and bank statement. I don't feel comfortable doing that so I cancelled my order.

I am now on a quest to find another source for the Tech II clone.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:21 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

I would not use my debit card ever on something like this , just buy a Amex gift card , load it with the amount you are going to spend ......

Dave
BigBlok502 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 AM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

I used my normal Amex card with a one-time code ... worked great. Seems like a really good deal ... looking forward to receiving mine. Thanks to the OP !
Old 06-30-2017, 12:30 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dcasole
I would not use my debit card ever on something like this , just buy a Amex gift card , load it with the amount you are going to spend ......

Dave
That's what I did too Dave, only Visa. No hoops to jump thru. Processed payment quickly.

07Monty, Hopefully you get yours quick like I did. I went to HF and got the black padded storage box yesterday with 20% off coupon ended up 22 and change. It's a perfect storage box for it.

Credit to WW7 for originally finding and posting this box.

The supplier dropped his price a penny to $249.99.. LOL

Last edited by J.Moore; 06-30-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:58 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 691 Posts

I am trying to buy one. The VISA gift card i bought can not be used on international orders.

The VISA customer service lady says it states that on the terms sheet "inside" the package. WTH....out 5 buck activation fee.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:17 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6ToGo
I am trying to buy one. The VISA gift card i bought can not be used on international orders.

The VISA customer service lady says it states that on the terms sheet "inside" the package. WTH....out 5 buck activation fee.
American Express Pre pay cards work , I am on the site now ... just make sure the one u have in your hand says it will work also

Dave
Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 PM
pierrel
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought myself a clone as well. Been used ALOT on my own car, and has saved me plenty of money instead of taking the car to a shop here in Sweden.
Quick shipping, everything included, works well. Even re-programs modules (like airbag etc) without any issues, contrary what some people have said about clones.

BUT, you still have to remember you pay 250-350 USD for a unit costing ALOT more from a "proper source". So it might not live longer than you

Last edited by pierrel; 07-01-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BigBlok502
I tried to purchase this with my debit card and I got a popup stating I needed to do an Appeal Process to validate my debit card. The Appeal Process requires me to photocopy my Drivers License, credit card, and bank statement. I don't feel comfortable doing that so I cancelled my order.

I am now on a quest to find another source for the Tech II clone.
I had exactly the same thing happen with the popup when I entered my Master Card information. I thought I would give it a day before I pursued it any further but I checked my email this morning and was notified by the vendor that my Tech 2 has been shipped. It could be that it cleared because I contacted my credit card company and asked what that security popup was about and they told me I had to register with MasterCard International. I didn't but it cleared anyway.

This was the first time I've had to deal with a security popup as I've made a few purchases in the past and they were seamless. Incidentally the vendor is is cute in their email calling me friend and thanking me for my purchase in ENGRISH.

Last edited by Icecap; 07-01-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:06 PM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Icecap
I had exactly the same thing happen with the popup when I entered my Master Card information. I thought I would give it a day before I pursued it any further but I checked my email this morning and was notified by the vendor that my Tech 2 has been shipped. It could be that it cleared because I contacted my credit card company and asked what that security popup was about and they told me I had to register with MasterCard International. I didn't but it cleared anyway.

This was the first time I've had to deal with a security popup as I've made a few purchases in the past and they were seamless. Incidentally the vendor is is cute in their email calling me friend and thanking me for my purchase in ENGRISH.
I waited a day to see too, it did not go through so I cancelled the order and tried another vendor on AliExpress and got the same popup. So I sent an E Mail to that vendor and asked if he would accept PayPal. In broken English he said yes and sent me a PayPal invoice, which I paid.

Today I got confirmation he received payment and would ship Monday. Now I will wait and see.....
Old 07-01-2017, 06:14 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Yea, he or she called me 'friend' too. Good, sounds like it is on the way to you. I just ran mine thru the Post and self tests last night again. At first it failed the post test, RTC failure, Real Time Clock.

Come to learn that the disc with manual is wrong when it says to insert loopback adapters in unit then, power on. Power on first, then install 2 loopback adapters and unit passes all tests. Had me concerned for a few minutes.
Icecap (07-01-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:53 PM
07MontyRed
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 139 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Lifetime Member

Just received mine (I had asked for the optional FedEx service since DHL sucks in my area, but they sent it DHL anyway ... been chasing it since Monday). Looks like the complete "Pro" kit ... its a real Tech II with all the serial numbers, etc. (although they come loose along with the labels in a separate bag). Mine powered up and passed all the tests (although, as J.Moore indicated, the instructions seem wrong since the same thing happened with mine).

All in all, a good purchase (excepting the DHL part). Both the vendor and Aliexpress sent enough emails so I always knew what was happening. I ordered on 30 June and it was at my door (but not delivered because of DHL) on 3 July. My Amex charge was exactly as expected. Seems like a decent deal ... Thanks to J.Moore (OP) for the heads-up!

Last edited by 07MontyRed; 07-07-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased

Old 07-06-2017, 08:48 PM
J.Moore
Burning Brakes

Good deal, glad it all worked out! That HF black small storage case for $23 works really well for it.

I installed the TIS 2000 software to be able to record movie files and upload to a laptop and see them full screen. Works pretty cool for old software. Similar to the older SnapOn movie capture and record functions.

I don't plan on changing module programming so I'm not concerned about that. But it's nice to be able to use part of the software in addition to the Tech2 itself as a scan tool.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:01 AM
BigBlok502
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

My Tech II showed up today 7/7, paid for it Saturday 7/1.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:03 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Timely post. I've been using the OTC Genisys V scan tool for about 5 years now - a fairly capable scan/diagnostic/test tool. Supports other makes than just GM. Not all OEM functions are programmed into the tool and the updates are expensive.

I just received my Tech2 clone today with the 2013 update, all the cables and connectors and the CANDI module. Already used it to program two additional key fobs to my '08 Hummer H3 - key fobs on this car can only be programmed with a Tech2. The OTC scanner would not program key fobs and there is no short-cut or user method to do the fobs. Compared to what my dealer wanted for that, the Tech2 is half paid for now. Plan to use it for my C5 and C6 when needed. Lots of other Tech2-compatible cars in the family too.
72greg (10-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Clone Tech2 purchased-Very pleased