C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Base or 2012 GS?

Old 06-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Frankie15
CF Senior Member

Liked 290 Times in 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Tires yeah, brakes under $100 for ceramic street pads.

Plus when he is driving around in the base he will see a GS and go crap, that looks better than mine! I should have went with the GS.

Some people are base and some are GS.

Can't go wrong either way.
It never ends until you get the ZR1. He will get the GS, see the Z06, and wish he had the LS7 .
Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 PM
enventr
CF Senior Member

Liked 270 Times in 255 Posts

If the GS is in excellent condition then I would absolutely get it- hands down
Old 06-30-2017, 08:43 PM
billyboy47
CF Senior Member

Liked 211 Times in 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Went from a 013 base to a 012 GS 2 years ago and so glad I did. Oh, and I don't track my GS as others do, but it doesn't matter to me, still worth having over the base model. GOOD LUCK.
The following users liked this post: billyboy47
pdac (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 PM
jrose7004
CF Senior Member

Liked 810 Times in 716 Posts

You'll like the GS much better.
The following users liked this post: jrose7004
pdac (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM
pdac
CF Senior Member

Liked 39 Times in 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Patsgarage View Post
I am going to go completely opposite of everyone else here. It your first post you said you would only be driving ~20 miles /week, and made no mention of track usage. The GS is a great car (full disclosure, I own a 13 GS), but unless you are going to track the car it is overkill for a driver. The added costs of tires/brakes alone will make your head spin. Don't get me wrong, I love mine and would not trade it for anything, but if you are just looking for a cruiser a base is the way to go.
I appreciate this opinion and it actually is something I've been wondering. How much exactly does it cost to replace brakes and tires on a GS vs the base? I've actually never owned a car long enough (atleast since high school) where I've had to have the brakes or tires changed. I'm curious to know what a routine brake job and tire change cost becuase, since this is used, I will most likely need to have that done.

As far as tracking or not tracking, I don't see the GS as a track car. I see the Z06 as a track car and even then, I doubt more than 50% of owners track them if that. The GS to me is a base with an appearance package. Sure it handles better but that's not why most people are (were) buying them.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 PM
pdac
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by enventr View Post
If the GS is in excellent condition then I would absolutely get it- hands down
Agree. I think that's what it will come down to.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:37 PM
pdac
CF Senior Member

Plus when he is driving around in the base he will see a GS and go crap, that looks better than mine! I should have went with the GS.

Some people are base and some are GS.

Can't go wrong either way.
How much is it to replace the tires? I did some research and it looks like it can be done for around $1k. I'm not that sold on run flats, especially based on how much I drive. I'm more concerned about the price of replacing the brakes and how often it's necessary.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:17 PM
Sky High
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts

Funny you should say that. I felt the exact same way. I bought a new 2012 base and after about a year every time I seen a GS I said ah sh**t that is what I want. So I traded it in on a new 2013 GS, even the same color and have been happy ever since. So to the op if the widebody GS has some appeal to you now it will have more appeal when you are driving your "base" and see a GS go by.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Sky High
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pdac View Post
How much is it to replace the tires? I did some research and it looks like it can be done for around $1k. I'm not that sold on run flats, especially based on how much I drive. I'm more concerned about the price of replacing the brakes and how often it's necessary.
Nah don't worry about the cost of brakes, you can get the ceramics from Auto Zone for about $80-$100 front and rear. Plus those are the brakes you would want anyways for a street driven GS, no dust and no noise. lol at the rate you use a car those pads will probably last the life of your car. But seriously I have seen members say they have 70-80-90k miles on their pads.

Last edited by Sky High; 06-30-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:21 PM
Not So Fast
CF Senior Member

Liked 846 Times in 637 Posts

I'll let you guess what my opinion is
NSF

Old 06-30-2017, 10:28 PM
Elijah71
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 40 Posts

absolutely get the GS!

I almost bought a base too. So glad i got the GS
Old 06-30-2017, 10:35 PM
Frankie15
CF Senior Member

Liked 290 Times in 243 Posts

Can I ask why you aren't considering a Z06? I am lusting for the wide body as well, but I have been searching only for 08+ Z06s. I never really considered the Grand Sport because they are pretty much the same price. I see several Grand Sports in the 33k range, but for another 3k or so I can get myself into an 08+ Z06. I don't see the point of getting the GS when a slightly older Z06 can be had for the same price. Plus I prefer the Z06 front fenders much more. I totally can see myself get the GS and then regret not getting the Z06. I could also regret not getting the C6 ZR1, but that is much more expensive than a Z06. Understandable if you need the auto, removable roof, or just want a newer model year. Just curious is all.

Last edited by Frankie15; 06-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:04 PM
Cuckoo
CF Senior Member

Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15 View Post
Can I ask why you aren't considering a Z06? I am lusting for the wide body as well, but I have been searching only for 08+ Z06s. I never really considered the Grand Sport because they are pretty much the same price. I see several Grand Sports in the 33k range, but for another 3k or so I can get myself into an 08+ Z06. I don't see the point of getting the GS when a slightly older Z06 can be had for the same price. Plus I prefer the Z06 front fenders much more. I totally can see myself get the GS and then regret not getting the Z06. I could also regret not getting the C6 ZR1, but that is much more expensive than a Z06. Understandable if you need the auto, removable roof, or just want a newer model year. Just curious is all.
For me personally its the Auto trans. ZR1 would be the one but I'm not interested in a manual anymore.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:06 PM
csf
CF Senior Member

Liked 87 Times in 74 Posts

I have a 13 GS so you know my preference, but understand, regardless of cost, there are NO ALL SEASON OR WINTER TIRES for the C6 GS, from any manufacturer, due to the large size of the stock rear wheels. So if you get a GS its summer performance tires only, 12 months a year, which ain't the best for cold winter days. The base model has smaller wheels so there are many more tire choice, including all season rubber. Good luck.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:14 PM
jaybee924
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankie15 View Post
The downside I see to the ZO6 is if the heads/valve issue has been addressed because if not you will need to fix that. I'm glad I got the Grand Sport and I knew nothing about that problem with those until reading it over and over on here. It has more power though. LoL
Old 06-30-2017, 11:16 PM
Z0SIS
CF Senior Member

Liked 36 Times in 35 Posts

[QUOTE=Cuckoo;1595055343]For me personally its the Auto trans. ZR1 would be the one but I'm not interested in a manual anymore.[/QUOTE

The auto in the C6 is garbage - its a slushbox not even a DC.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Adam Cifonelli
CF Senior Member

Liked 52 Times in 48 Posts

GS looks a little better. Not A lot IMO. Not a big fan of the double gills on the side. Or the way the rear wheel air damn is soo small. I do like the wide body and front splitter. Just nit picking... but I wouldnt pay 4-5k more for a GS. I dont track my car soo.. For the same price Id def go Z06.

Last edited by Adam Cifonelli; 06-30-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Z0SIS
CF Senior Member

Liked 36 Times in 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybee924 View Post
The downside I see to the ZO6 is if the heads/valve issue has been addressed because if not you will need to fix that. I'm glad I got the Grand Sport and I knew nothing about that problem with those until reading it over and over on here. It has more power though. LoL
I test drove an '07 Z06 before I bought my GS and honestly it's not that much faster than the LS3. If you track the car or absolutely NEED the Z06 badge then go for it, otherwise the GS is a much better buy.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:43 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Liked 430 Times in 382 Posts

OK,
Looking for some opinions. I'm scheduled to go look at a 2011 base tomorrow in cyber gray. It has 17k miles and is going for 32k.

Just a few minutes ago, a local dealer who has been looking out for me let me know of a 2012 GS in Supersonic Blue that just came in that has 25k miles going for about 35,500.

Both cars look great and have the same options (1lt, dual mode exhaust and that's pretty much it.)

Since the 2011 is at carmax I can get a warranty whereas the 2012 is "as is" and has more miles (not sure the difference between 17k and 25k miles is significant.)

I was all set with my decision until just now. Part of me thinks just save the 3-4k since I rarely even drive (maybe about 20 miles a week tops). The other part of me says to go ahead and spend the extra and get the GS since I do like the wide body look.

Any thoughts?
I just mentioned this in another post not five minutes ago...one of them may cost more, but it is the better value, by far. The price diff just between the two years, if both were base cars, would be close to $3K. And, you will be getting a huge upgrade...buy the GS.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:47 PM
buckmeister2
CF Senior Member

Liked 430 Times in 382 Posts

At $35,500 they have already come down as far as they will. I wish I knew where everyone was finding all these Grand Sports in the low $30s!
they are not that hard to find, but you have to look outside your local area. Some with higher miles in the $29K range....

I would not be so sure they will not come down more. You have not presented an offer, so to them, you are not yet even a buyer. Why would you not offer less????? Man, all they can say is "no".

Even if they only come down to $35, you have saved $500.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Base or 2012 GS?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: